It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas State Board Votes to teach ID in Schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Story

Nov. 8 (Bloomberg) -- The Kansas State Board of Education approved a proposal to teach intelligent design along with evolution as a scientific explanation of how life began.
``They are undermining the education of their students,'' Carley said in a telephone interview. ``Intelligent design is a version of creationism and is clearly a religious doctrine and not a scientific principle, theory or even a hypothesis.''

I would be quite upset if my child's school was teaching a religious doctrine. There will b tests and grades given regarding a religious concept. I'd whack out.

There is no basis for ID except "We can't be here by accident... so... I guess there's something or someone behind it all... " Yeah, let's teach our children that...

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The flat earthers strike again. Damn it.

And yet, nary a single one of these people would go to faith healer to cure their ailments. Cure cancer with leaches.

God, what an utterly insipid, soul crushing, backwards development in our pained human existence. At least they're burning people at the stake.

Yet.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The goal is to target the science curriculum rendering the topic obsolete and making it an alternative subject while ID can become eventually a requirement.

Very sad for student that would be pursuing the Biological science later on in College because it will be missing the basic.

I guess people will have to get tutors to keep their children ahead and ready for college onces the Religious pushes get science off the schools.

Hey they can always take the children to Christian schools and become more in disadvantage as profesionals teaching the religous version.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Actually, it's sort of a shame that it'll be shot down by the wailing and screeching and frothing at the mouth anti-religion crowd. Personally, I find them to be even more offensive than the fundamentalists.

I'd like to see them teach it myself. It bothers me that there are so many people in this country who insist that ONLY their views should be heard. I say that students should be allowed to make up their own minds, and if some of them come to a conclusion that others think is stupid, then so be it.

While they're at it, they could teach Norse creation myth and Hindu creation myth and Navajo creation myth and my own favorite-- Giant Transdimensional Goat Theory. That's the idea that the entire known universe was shat out by an enormous transdimensional goat.

Let students hear all the theories and decide for themselves. Survival of the fittest, y'know?

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Its crap like this that makes me more and more favorable to home schooling when I decide to have kids.

If its not the rabid liberals trying to force and indoctrinate kids with their own dose of lefty brainwashing, its religous fascists trying to convert or force their own backwards beliefs down my kids throats.

It seems the only way you can keep your kids minds healthy and growing is to homeschool them, because the public school system is a war, and children's minds are battlegrounds of two extreme and twisted ideologies.

And no one focuses on pure learning and sticking to the basics and facts. It is not the right of the schools to teach morality, personal beliefs and relations, or religous ideas, that is solely the realm of the parents.

Homeschooling is the only logical alternative.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

If its not the rabid liberals trying to force and indoctrinate kids with their own dose of lefty brainwashing, its religous fascists trying to convert or force their own backwards beliefs down my kids throats.

Well and bluntly stated.

Those who rely on faith and emotion rather than reason to support their beliefs often struggle to either justify or ignore those beliefs. Since they don't, and won't or can't, actually think for themselves, they're dependant on the tenuous support of others who believe as they do, and are threatened by the existence of alternative viewpoints.

One of their ways of coping with this is to seek to indoctrinate as many children as possible in their beliefs, and exclusively in their beliefs. That was long the turf of religion, which got ahold of children virtually from birth and nominally had them fully indoctrinated by the time they might otherwise have begun forming ideas of their own. But in recent decades, the leftists have made a concerted and largely successful effort to get ahold of children and indoctrinate them in their quasi-religious belief system, and part of that effort centered around a concerted and largely successful effort to shut out the competition by doing their indoctination in public schools and barring entry to the religious. However, in recent years the religious have countered the hegemony of the leftists, and have even made a few advances of their own. And now it's a flat-out war, and schools are the battleground. And our children-- OUR children-- are the spoils for which that war is being fought.

That just makes me sick.

By the bye-- I love your avatar. I laughed my ass off the first time I saw it.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
As far as ID goes I say absolutely put it in schools.. however.. that said.. put it in a class that it should be in.

Create a senior lvl, elective college credit class of Mythology and Anthropology, teaching the effects of theology on the development of societies. Teach ID of all different Mythos and how it develops civilizations.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Someone tell me what's wrong with teaching as many sides of an issue as possible in school? I thought thats what made a person intelligent. Knowing as much about an issue or debate as possible. Let the student decide what it is he believes in.

There is no proof that either the ID theory or the big bang theory is correct.

*my two cents*

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Someone tell me what's wrong with teaching as many sides of an issue as possible in school? I thought thats what made a person intelligent. Knowing as much about an issue or debate as possible. Let the student decide what it is he believes in.

There is no proof that either the ID theory or the big bang theory is correct.

*my two cents*

Nothing is wrong with teaching as many sides as possible.. however the different sides should be taught in the correct class... example it would not make sense to teach quadratic equations in a classical ligature class... right?

ID is intrinsically rooted in the belief of a higher being, a religion.. .thus should be taught in a class of mythology and anthropology.

Big Bang is intrinsically tied to science... and thus should be taught in a physics based class.

Off topic... are we the only two posting right now?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I don't feel that this issue is about teaching ID. This is just a very transparent ploy of the fundamentalist to be able to teach Christian theology in the public schools.

If it is about education and teaching, then by all means teach all creation myths in the context of folklore, Mythology or Anthropology.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The only issue that I have with this ruling is that it supports the teachers to ignore when a student asks a question, if the teacher feels that it is based off of the IDT. That is a problem that I see. The teachers base this on thier belief that IDT is 1) religion based, and 2) based on flawed science.
Issue # 1 I have absolutely no problem with. I agree with them on this point.
Issue#2 though I have a problem with. If IDT is based off of flawed scientific principals, why not inform the students why it is flawed at the same time, teach the students tha proper way to use scientific investigation techniques.
I do not beleive that IDT should be taught in the public schoolroom, but if / when a student asks a question, I beleive that it is the teacher's duty to either answer the question to the best of thier ability or at least direct the student to the proper resources to obtain their answers.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
The only issue that I have with this ruling is that it supports the teachers to ignore when a student asks a question, if the teacher feels that it is based off of the IDT. That is a problem that I see. The teachers base this on thier belief that IDT is 1) religion based, and 2) based on flawed science.
Issue # 1 I have absolutely no problem with. I agree with them on this point.
Issue#2 though I have a problem with. If IDT is based off of flawed scientific principals, why not inform the students why it is flawed at the same time, teach the students tha proper way to use scientific investigation techniques.
I do not beleive that IDT should be taught in the public schoolroom, but if / when a student asks a question, I beleive that it is the teacher's duty to either answer the question to the best of thier ability or at least direct the student to the proper resources to obtain their answers.

Agreed, however the average person .. on both sides of this argument, will never be able to agree on a proper way to address even the mentioning of ID in a public school setting. Teacher can't voice their opinion because it's against policy, can't have them ask their preacher and expect an unbiased answer.

Only thing I can think of is to tell them o get all the information they can on both sides of the argument and make a choice for themselves... sadly very VERY few children are able to make an informed choice of their own.

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Well hell, why not teach Hitler was correct in killing the Jews in history class, or that the genocide never happened in the first place and is just a Jewish conspiracy????? Yes the genocide of the Jews happened, but some people claim it didn't, so even though it is wrong, like ID, teach it! And if a kid answers on a test "They are wrong." Flunk em!

Or even better, bring it out here, I need to pass my history class since I suck at it. This way I can answer "God did it." and always be right! Because God did do it! If they fail me I can go to the Christian COalition, Fox News, so forth and make a big stink on how they are persecuting my beliefs! "They said the Civil War eneded in 1865, I said God did it and they marked it wrong, they are persecuting me!"

And sadly I would probably win once it got to the supreme court. Get my Associate Degree in Automotive ENgineering without having to do anything but go to court on the coat tails of the CC and Fox News! Although it might affect my knowledge of cars...

"What's wrong with my car?" God did it. "How do I fix it?" Pray to God to fix it.

I like Colberts take on science by republicans...

Teach Biology! Just not Evolution...
Teach Climatology! Just not Global Warming...
Teach Geology! Just nothing before 5,000 years...
Teach Astronomy! Ditto on Geology...
Teach Physics! Just not Big Bang, creation of planets, stars, expanding Universe, Earth not center...

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This in response to ‘LostSailor”’s statement about sides to an issue. There are no sides. ID does not qualify as an alternative to Evolution any more than Pat Robertson qualifies as a normal person. ID is PoppyCock and Pat is disturbed psychologically.
Teach ID all you want, bleat it from the highest steeple (the one closest to heaven). That’s not a problem. Teach that the ants built the universe so that everything else would derive therefrom providing droplets of food for the ants to eat. The thing is, do not teach fantasy as science. The ant postulation (notice I did not say ‘theory’ because the ant thingy ain’t no theory. Teach the ID postulation, (notice again that the term theory is not used as it does not apply since ID does not qualify as theory) or whatever new name creationism is given but don’t confuse innocent children with BS and shine-olla in a science class. Real science is difficult enough without air headed adults who refuse to think for themselves pushing their misconceptions on the innocent. Talk about child abuse.
So, Sailor, there ain’t no two sides here. There is Evolution. Evolution is science and needs no approval from the masses. The earth is the third rock and does need approval from one human to orbit out little star for at least the next 4 billion years before things get hairy.
In addition there are myriad cock-a-meamy ideas such as ID. If people are so stupid that they insist upon BS and shine=olla then teach it in comparative religion class. At least, if the class is taught by an informed teacher rather than some brain-dead bible thumper attempting to indoctrinate rather then inform, the kids forced to sit through such a class might learn something about other cultures and how they dealt with questions none of their ancients had a clue how to answer.
I’m glad we had this opportunity to clear this up.
skep

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Skep, we won't have to worry about 4 billion years from now as Andromeda is headed for us. 2 billion years from now the Milky Way Galaxy and Andromeda Galaxy will crash into each other, and if we are lucky we will be on the other side of the MWG when this happens, other wise we die.

new topics

top topics

join