It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pottery of Goliath Unearthed?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone
NO, I do not have a link, it was just showed on Fox. I searched all sites I know of.
Anyway, archeaologists have found large piece of pottery with the Name Goliath on them.
Seems they were found near a place where Goliath was supposed to have lived..
Shep says,"good news for the OT as real.'
They are just starting on this find..
Wonderful news for finding t-ruth.
I will still look for a link..

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This is a blatant cover-up..I have sent e-mails to all major sources and cannot find any links 24 hours later.
Whether it is a choice by the Jewish community or by the news sources, this is a dis-grace against the Constitution of the US..
But is was a Jewish archaeologist, so maybe there is a valid reason??
Anyway, know there has been found a big piece of pottery found..
I had no idea when I posted this, it would go to trash bin..by the news.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thanks to a great poster, we can now see this..
Long link I know, but it was hidden--cut and paste it..

uk.mediaframe.news.yahoo.com...,wmv-100-s.19309383,wmv-300-s.19309393,rnv-56-s.19309418,rnv-100-s.19309427,rnv-300-s. 19309569&.small=1&.intl=uk&c=dualpane&dw=http://uk.news.yahoo.com/reutersv/reuters_videos_rightpane_news.html&f=96284754&a=0,30

Here is a shorter link, I know you hate long links, just scroll down.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 9-11-2005 by siriuslyone]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It's not that hard to believe.

I know someone who is 7'6 and nearly 400lbs. He is pretty much a giant. He also does those medieval reenactments. When placed in a suit of armour, sword, boots, etc, he is massive. Especailly with the size of the armour, shoulder plates and armour on him.

Anyone beloe 6'6 looks like a midget compaired to him.

If you drag it out over thousands of years, it is not hard to believe things getting dragged out to make him bigger. It makes the hero even more impressive.

Think of it in our terms.

If a guy on the street beat up an average [middle weight] boxer, that's one thing.
If the same guy beat Mike Tyson than it is another story...

Alternatively, we see how humans love to brag and it easily can be a case of this.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
If anyone was looking for a link to the story then look no further.

Goliath found?
A very small ceramic shard unearthed by Bar-Ilan University archaeologists digging at Tell es-Safi, the biblical city "Gath of the Philistines," may hold a very large clue into the history of the well-known biblical figure Goliath.

The shard, which contains the earliest known Philistine inscription ever to be discovered, mentions two names that are remarkably similar to the name "Goliath". The discovery is of particular importance since the Bible attributes Gath as the home town of Goliath.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Pretty interesting, read. I don't know if they believe that this was a mention of the actual Goliath. It could have been a popular name back then according to their comments. But I'm thinking, why would it be a popular name? Perhaps he was a local hero and everyone wanted to name their kids after him. Sounds reasonable. Well, the time-frame is accurate, it's the same town as mentioned in the Bible, and the name is about the same so this is interesting no matter how you look at it.

[edit on 10-11-2005 by dbates]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
dbates;

Thank you for that..
IMO, Goliath was not a popular name as I cannot find on any search.
This is the genesis of the last name Gulley?
The OT hasbeen debated too long, perhaps this was meant to be?

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The reason you might not be finding the name, is due to the fact you are searching the wrong term.

Goliath in Standard Hebrew is Golyat and in Tiberian Hebrew is Golyāṯ.

You have to look at it in its true context as well.

David never killed Goliath, Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Bethlehemite killed him. [2 Sam 21:19]

His death by David was added in the King James Bible, where Elhanan killed the brother of Goliath.

In fact, there is arguement on this story as in 2 Sam 21:19b Saul doesn't remember David, yet David is claimed to have surved in his courts in 1 Sam 16:18.

You also have a problem with his height. A cubit can be many different sizes.

Goliath is placed at being over 6cubits.

Sumerian cubit as 518 mm (20.4 inches) = 122.4
Old Royal Cubit [Egypt] 523.5 to 524 mm (20.61 to 20.63 in) = 123.66 to 123.78
Royal Cubit [Egypt] 529mm (20.66 in) = 129.98
Persian cubits were 52–64 cm (20–25 in) = 120 to 150
Roman cubitus was 44.46 cm (17.50 in) = 105
Greek πεχυα (pechua) was some 47.4 cm (18.7 in) = 112.2
cubit of King Gudea of Lagash (an ancient Mesopotamian city-state) was 495 mm (19½ inches) = 117
Israel during the First Temple period, the cubit was 428 mm (16.7in) = 100.31

Now if you take the First Temple Cubit and Roman Cubitus, both place him at a size which is possible.

The First Temple Cubit places him at 8'3 [roughly], Robert Wadlow the tallest man in history was 8'11. If the Talmud was re-written, over the years it is fully possible that the cubit it speaks of could have been a first temple cubit and never scaled up. Meaning Goliath was only 8'3 and not over 9'6.

Then if you look at the story in full; 1 Samuel 17

Now the Philistines gathered their forces for war and assembled at Socoh in Judah. They pitched camp at Ephes Dammim, between Socoh and Azekah. 2 Saul and the Israelites assembled and camped in the Valley of Elah and drew up their battle line to meet the Philistines. 3 The Philistines occupied one hill and the Israelites another, with the valley between them.

[snip]

12 Now David was the son of an Ephrathite named Jesse, who was from Bethlehem in Judah. Jesse had eight sons, and in Saul's time he was old and well advanced in years. 13 Jesse's three oldest sons had followed Saul to the war: The firstborn was Eliab; the second, Abinadab; and the third, Shammah. 14 David was the youngest. The three oldest followed Saul, 15 but David went back and forth from Saul to tend his father's sheep at Bethlehem.

If you think about it, David was just a child. Now it is possible that he was between 9 and 14. Which would place him between 4foot and 5foot. This is fully possible for the story to work and also makes sense.

The Battle would have been one that a majority of the Israelites, which were able to fight [and male] would have taken part. It however was rare for children to take part in battles, but they did work on the camp. Carrying water and food between soldiers [as far as I understand] and later on David does this:

17 Now Jesse said to his son David, "Take this ephah [d] of roasted grain and these ten loaves of bread for your brothers and hurry to their camp. 18 Take along these ten cheeses to the commander of their unit. [e] See how your brothers are and bring back some assurance [f] from them. 19 They are with Saul and all the men of Israel in the Valley of Elah, fighting against the Philistines."

It is fully possible David was but a boy, of around 4 foot and Goliath was only 8'3. A giant compared to most people and especailly compaired to the boy. It could also help explain as to why he was a champion. Someone of that size, who took care of themselves could be inhumanly strong compaired to your average person as well as having a much longer reach especailly with a sword or axe...

Just something you might wish to think about.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Great information..
Last night I tried looking for any dreivations of Goliath in Kabbalah and was surprised there were not references there..

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I was looking through a bunch of pics of giants present and past last night. I always thought they were prevalent throughout history.

www.stevequayle.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacman
I was looking through a bunch of pics of giants present and past last night. I always thought they were prevalent throughout history.
www.stevequayle.com...

Nope.

What Dear Steve isn't QUITE admitting to is that the "bone" there is a sculpture and is not a bone at all. It's based on a "bone" that someone SAYS they found a "piece" of. To date, the only giants we have found have been of the 6 foot to 7 foot variety. Nothing larger.

There's a number of reasons why humans don't and can't grow that big (one of which is that our bones are too fragile and are the wrong shape.)

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I think it's safe to say that if anyone was that large and tall they were not human. Or at least not purely human.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
maybe goliath isnt real, maybe everything ever written in the bible is a lie, maybe every thing you read is a lie?

I am not saying i dont believe in god, i am just saying i am scepticle about the bible and all organised religion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join