It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Anyone read this yet? I just finished it and have to say that it beats the past 4 books combined. Lot's a foward motion in this volume allthough Jordan still devotes waaay too much time describing womens dresses and petticoats
I know that in the past books he put them there to throw people off as to who was who but it has very little point as it's become blindingly obvious(who Grendal is)

Well with that quibble I give this book a 7.5/10. It was waaay to predictable and some of the battles seem a bit thrown together (not the first battle involving Galad though
)

So now the big 3 year wait until the last (?? who really knows on that one) book in this...lengthly series which has dragged on for far too long. It should have finished up LAST book but noo.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I haven't read this one yet, but I have read the first ten in the Wheel of Time series. It's good to hear he's picking up again, the last few were of lesser quality than the first ones. I probably won't get it until it's in softcover (because I'm cheap)

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
It's good to hear he's picking up again, the last few were of lesser quality than the first ones.

i have to agree. i couldnt even finish the last one, it was so slow and drawn out. i was beginning to think that he was going to draw the story out forever and milk it for all its worth.

furthermore, he takes so damn long writing the next book that you have to go back and read the first ten to remember what the hell is going on. think i'll wait to catch back up until he's officially written the last one.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

furthermore, he takes so damn long writing the next book that you have to go back and read the first ten to remember what the hell is going on. think i'll wait to catch back up until he's officially written the last one.

Hehe, that's why I had to adopt a few rules for my fiction reading, because my reading list was getting WAY too long.
1) I do not start any series that has not already been completed. The only series I read that aren't completed are those I started before I made my rules.
2) It is preferable to read an author who is dead, so that you know the series is done for good. (some authors return to a series 20 years later, such as Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea or Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series)
3) I only read authors who come recommended by friends with similar taste, authors who are bestsellers, or authors I have already read and know I will enjoy.

I don't always follow these rules, but I do probably 95% of the time. And I STILL have mountains of books in my room I haven't yet had time for... not to mention the nonfiction books.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Eh, whenever an author drops work on a story before it's finished to go back and do a prequel, you know they are stuck for ideas and usually the series just sort of fades away.

I personally don't think the guy has a clue about how he plans to actually end this series. I've pretty much stopped looking forward to it. Glad I only bought the paperbacks.

I have to say that, although I didn't make a formal list, I started using DD's rules for series years ago, the exception being anything by Neil Stephanson.

top topics

join