It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New laws to obtain U.S. Citizenship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I'm not going to write a whole lot and would rather prefer to hear what everyone else has to say.

How would you feel if there was a new law that states that if you are an immigrant you cannot become a U.S. Citizen unless you serve 4 years of honorable service in the U.S. Military.....

...........and...........

The children of immigrant parents that were born on U.S. soil are not U.S. citizens unless the parent completes their term, or if they don't have a parent, once the child reaches the age of 18, they are required to serve 4 years in the U.S. Military. Of course, until they reach 18 they still are taken care off as any U.S. citizen.

What do you all think? (It's just an idea)

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by j619pinoy

Of course, until they reach 18 they still are taken care off as any U.S. citizen.

I don't get this part. How are US citizens taken care of?

You mean like our ex-Constitutional Rights? And the US Army will be mainly Mexican?

Sounds like a great plan!

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You have voted j619pinoy for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

I cant speake for Americans but I would like to see your idea put to work here in New Zealand. I would only make one change the children of immigrant parents wouldnt have to serve in the NZ military.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Originally posted by j619pinoy

Of course, until they reach 18 they still are taken care off as any U.S. citizen.

I don't get this part. How are US citizens taken care of?

You mean like our ex-Constitutional Rights? And the US Army will be mainly Mexican?

Sounds like a great plan!

Well...like if the child is an immigrant, he/she would have just about the same rights as any other person but they must join the military for I don't know, maybe 4 years of honorable service. If they don't....well...let's say I haven't really though that far ahead..just throwing out an idea to see what people think.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
So if a man or lady say of 50-60 years of age wishes to become a US Citizen, They will have to go through all this?

4 years seems a bit steep anyways.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DodgeG1
So if a man or lady say of 50-60 years of age wishes to become a US Citizen, They will have to go through all this?

4 years seems a bit steep anyways.

Four years, up until recently, has been the standard Active Duty contract we all (for US military) sign when joining the service. I opted for the 6 year plan because at the time I could've used the bonus and the extra rank right away.

As for the under 17 and over 35ish rule, I'm sure there could be other provisions for making them citizens. However it could work for the military age people looking for citizenship.

The US military now has provisions for non US citizens to serve and make it easier to become naturalized. If you'd like I can research that a little and post links...

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I served 4 years active service in the US Army. And I oppose this idea.

Military service is not the only way to serve America and your fellow citizen. Niether is it the most important, though it certainly ranks in the top 3.

I think that in order to become a US citizen, you should be required to learn at least basic reading, writing, and speaking of English, should have to take all tests in English, and should be required to serve the country for 2 years in a number of different ways, such as volunteering for some local community group, or visiting and caring for the Elderly, environment, ect. I do believe some sort of civic volunteer service to the country should be required, but not the military, as its a lifestyle for only a few people. And as it was mentioned, elderly people or diabled people would not qualify, nor would young kids.

I believe some sort of civic service should be required of all Americans past the age of 18, or a minimum of 2 years. With so many volunteers working in so many different causes, this country would be a much better place, and immigrants thus would not only be helping their new homeland become a better place, but they would also be displaying their new loyalty to their new home and new countrymen.

top topics

join