It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox: Good for schools?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Hello! I've been talking with my school's IT, computer adminstrator guy, trying to get him to convert from the ever-disappointing Internet Explorer to Firefox. He says that IE is totally secure if it is continually updated.

Blech...there shouldn't HAVE to be so many updates...(which is why I have Firefox)...

He says that the reason he does not install Firefox is that it cannot update all networked computers with security updates like IE can, and he would have to install it on each computer individually. My question is; is this true? Can't Firefox update itself on all networked computers like IE supposedly can? I need some ammo to convince the guy.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ehhh... my IT people at my school agree with me that Firefox would be the better way to go but they say the school makes them use IE. Same thign with appleworks even though they have the whole office suite on all the computers....

I didn't think IE had any special install updates on like whole server things... anyway firefox only comes out with updates like every 2 months, not that often. So would it make to much of a difference.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
He says that the reason he does not install Firefox is that it cannot update all networked computers with security updates like IE can, and he would have to install it on each computer individually. My question is; is this true? Can't Firefox update itself on all networked computers like IE supposedly can? I need some ammo to convince the guy.

Firefox 1.5 (Release Candidates right now) updates itself now, no need to reinstall.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Ice it sounds like the IT person at your school dosnt want to install firefox because (as far I know ) there is no form of centralized administration available for firefox updates.
IE updates can be installed via software update services. No IT person would want to rely on users to install updates.

Of course he/she may just be lazy it may possible to write a script that tells users to save there work and that the computer will reboot in a certain amount of time after updates are ready to be installed.

[edit on 9-11-2005 by xpert11]

new topics

top topics

join