It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tampa Schools to Rethink Religious Holiday Ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Just two weeks after the Hillsborough County School Board decided to erase all religious holidays off its school calendar (with the exception of Christmas), it will be meeting again to rethink the policy. That decision was sparked by a request by some Muslims to also include a day off for Eid Al-Fitr. Since then the school board has come under intense criticism from the press, politicians, religious groups, and parents. The Muslims are also saying they want the Christian and Jewish holidays restored, even if they don't get Eid off, saying it was never their intention for the board to ban others' religious holidays.

www.sptimes.com
TAMPA - Hillsborough County school officials say no issue in recent memory has generated more controversy than the decision to remove religious holidays from the school calendar.

The county school board has received hundreds of e-mails since its vote two weeks ago. National and local media are peppering officials almost daily with interview requests. Other elected leaders are criticizing the decision.

"This has become divisive in ways we never intended or imagined," said superintendent MaryEllen Elia, who wants the board to reverse its decision tonight and restore the holidays to next year's calendar.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm glad they'll be rethinking this and hope they reverse it. It is somewhat puzzling why everyone in the school system got Yom Kippur off though, since apparently Jews are not much more prevalent in the district than Muslims. If I was making the decision, I'd just add Eid, what's really the harm in that?

[edit on 11/8/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This country political correctness is going to be the down fall of our civilization and our own nation first.

Why religious holidays has to become and issue?

If we take in consideration that US is Christian Predominant any other religion should be the one to be taken into consideration not the traditions that our nation has uphold since the time that it was founded.

I am not religious follower but I will be darn if I one day I have to stop doing something because is muslin time of prayer.

I don't have nothing against muslin either BTW.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
What the hey is going on? Has every local elected official just totally just lost it or what?

You have a local council in the UK banning holiday lights, a school board in the US banning all religious holidays (all in the name of PC) and all the while stores putting up their holiday wares already (weeks earlier than ever). People want their traditions and their holidays, they aren't going to give them up. What are these stupid little power mongers not getting?

I think for sure we are all worrying too much about the NWO and no one is watching their own backyards. Could we possibly at least elect something other than brain dead in our home towns for a start?

YIKES!

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Funny I live in West Tampa and this is the first I have heard of this issue at all. I personally think the Muslim should be allowed their day off. The families never intended to have all religous holidays banned and have even requested they all be reinstated regardless of theirs not being added.

It seems to me that the school board would rather just ban all religious holidays before they decide to allow Muslims their own privelages. Don't worry you can all rest assured their holidays will be reinstated without of course ever adding Eid Al-Fitr.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Funny I live in West Tampa and this is the first I have heard of this issue at all. I personally think the Muslim should be allowed their day off. The families never intended to have all religous holidays banned and have even requested they all be reinstated regardless of theirs not being added.

It seems to me that the school board would rather just ban all religious holidays before they decide to allow Muslims their own priveleges. Don't worry you can all rest assured their holidays will be reinstated without of course ever adding Eid Al-Fitr.

I couldn't have said it better

I don't see a problem with allowing Eid to be a public holiday, and as stated it was nobody's intention to wipe them all, and this is what the school board decided ?? smh

Muslims are entitled to Christian holidays so why not let the Christians have Eid off too ? It is after all the ONLY "holiday" Muslims enjoy, not 2, 3 or 4 etc ...
I'm sure nobody would complain for the extra day off now would they ?

[edit on 8-11-2005 by ImJaded]

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I wonder why the big deal then, I mean the school board went overboard to stop all holidays, but why?

To upset the rest of the community and rally them against the Muslin. I kind of wonder now what the whole agenda was.

Still the Christian holidays are American traditions they should have left alone.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Some of you may think that I'm heartless when I say that the American people enjoy TOO many holidays each year.

I believe in Jesus Christ but I don't believe that He'd want us to have "Christmas" or "Easter" off (with pay) when we already have 52 days off each year to rest and worship.

I do believe that we do need to remember those who sacrificed their lives for this nation. The #1 holiday should be July 4th followed by Memorial Day.

And what would a nation be without family? So I'll throw in Thanksgiving Day(s). I added the "s" so that it can be a three day feast and celebration instead of the single day observation.

I believe that having any other days off besides Sunday in the name of religion is a complete farce.

I argue with my employers every year in objection of taking days off other than the ones I mentioned above.

Christmas? Easter? Why? Why should we only remember Jesus Christ on these days?

And New Years Day? Biggest excuse to NOT TO WORK ever devised!

I'm not trying to cause a ruckus. I'm just simply giving my point of view.

Peace out!

[edit on 8/11/05 by Intelearthling]

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I wonder why the big deal then, I mean the school board went overboard to stop all holidays, but why?

There was actually an arcane legal principle that they leaned on to support their decision, marg. Something about using a secular calendar vs a religious calendar to avoid distractions. Something like that; I heard it on O'Reilly last week.

Give them their holiday, and restore all other holidays, I say! Let the school board focus on getting pencils and healthy lunches for the kids, instead of stirring up a hornet's nest.

The real problem here is that the muslims are going to be blamed for this, when they are not guilty, and in fact have said "Forget our request, please restore the previous holidays".

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The old calendar was restored for now:

TAMPA -- In the most contentious school board meeting in years, five Hillsborough County School Board members voted Tuesday night to restore Good Friday, Easter Monday and Yom Kippur to the 2006-07 school calendar.

The decision was "bittersweet," said a spokesman for the Muslim community, whose request to recognize one of their holy days ignited the public debate.

"It is a temporary solution," said Ahmed Bedier, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations. "We've been adamant the last two weeks that we would give up on our request for a holiday so the other religions won't lose theirs."

Board members, who vote on a new school calendar every year, agreed the subject is far from closed, promising more open meetings and community input before the 2007-08 calendar is decided.

Full Story: The Tampa Tribune

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
jsobecky

I have been always for equality and to give everybody in our diversify society everything they need to meet their spiritual and social needs.

But after been watching the riots and burnings in France I am very upset that a group of immigrants feel that they have only way to show their displeasure in the country that they are guess in, is with destruction and mayhem.

It kind of make me think about our own country and what are our priorities and is one thing for sure I will ever have my country first and the heck with the rest and any trouble maker be from any immigrant group should be kick out to their country of origin.

Sorry but that is the way i see things now, nothing personal you know I rather keep the christian believes here than having a muslin rule as majority changing our ways of life and traditions.

[edit on 9-11-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It would seem that all fellowman, regardless of their religion would like to see all the holidays resinstated, was it so difficult for the school board to come to a reasonable decision about this, before it escalated to what it is now. Afterall (reasoning) plays a very big factor on the road to intelligence. I understand all parties wanting to appease, but instead of leaning one way, then switchhitting to another, you would think because they are members of the SCHOOL BOARD that they would be able to come to reasonable solution afterall this is their position is it not? Also at one time they wanted to still celebrate the holiday but have the time off at a later date ?
Wouldn't this kind of refute what the holiday even stands for, and also slowly diminish the honour of that day? I just don't understand the point, I live in Canada and we hear the same crap all the time. At one time a few years ago, in Toronto at Nathan Phillips Square the annual 'CHRISTMAS TREE' was put up but our provincial government wanted to change the name to a 'HOLIDAY TREE' as to not offend anyone, even though nobody had complained . But like good citizens that we (the people of many nations) are, banded together for the festive season and simply ignored them until they finally shut up about it. Lets hear it for the people

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Instead of "banning" all religious holidays, they should rather profile their students religious preferences and making equal holidays. Let each faith observe their own holy days. That was what was done back when I was in school although their was no written guidelines.
A Muslim was able to have the day off as a holiday on their holy days just as the christians were able to do.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
Some of you may think that I'm heartless when I say that the American people enjoy TOO many holidays each year.

I'm just simply giving my point of view.

Peace out!

[edit on 8/11/05 by Intelearthling]

and you are perfectly entitled to that opinion, but have you ever lived overseas? compared to italians, we are workaholics. they have something like 2 holidays a month, plus the whole month of august for a national holiday....never visit italy in august....bad idea. its ridiculous. trust me, we dont have too many holidays.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I will have to say that coming from a Spanish background my littler Island of PR has to celebrate the American holidays along with our national holidays.

So actually to me US have not enough holidays.

Also in Hawaii is the same thing when we where station in the Islands they have a celebration for every king and queen plus the American holidays.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The next thing you know, someone will be attacking the word "holiday" to describe days off. After all, it's genesis is "holy day":

[Middle English holidai, holy day, from Old English hlig d槼/TT> : hlig, holy; see holy + d槼/TT>, day; see day.]

...and indeed holy day is one of the definitions:

2. A religious feast day; a holy day.

words

Some people really have to lighten up.

new topics

top topics

join