It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best transport plane for an army...?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Yes, I remember them being the only jet that could use London City, I don't know if that is still the case but I have seen the 146 demonstrated and it is extremely STOL capable and hardly made a sound either until it was right next to you, another benefit for airlift ops.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Did someone mention transport aircraft and nobody has mentioned Antonov products, yet?

www.flightlevel350.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Antonov 72 , There, I've mentioned one. One of my favourite transports that An 72 is. Ideal for the job.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Thank you, Waynos.
More than once, an Antonov was used to transport Egyptian VIP S-70's to our plant for periodic overhauls. Very reliable, totally capable airframes.

Now that you have mentioned an Antonov product, I can go to bed a happy little fella! (3rd shift worker, don't report me to the paranormal forum folks).

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I remember the Shorts C-23B being the best of it's class for many years. The US Army uses it with great success, as does many other countries.

The C-23B meets Army Short TakeOff and Landing (STOL) guidelines, can operate from unpaved runways and is equipped with self-contained ground handling equipment.

Speed: 218mph at 10,000ft
Range: 770 miles with 5000lb payload
Cargo: up to 7000lb of freight, including 4 LD3 containers, and engines the size of F100 series
Dimensions - Internal
Length, max - 9.1m
Width, max - 1.9m
Height, max -2.0m

I think considering Boeing CH-47D "Chinook" helicopters would be a good idea too. It carries 4 times the load at half the speed. Plus cargo loads larger than the internal dimensions can be carried in a sling underneath.
www.boeing.com...

Speed: SL Cruise, kts (km/h) - 140 (259) @ max payload
Range: Range, SL, nm (km) - 651.9 (1,208)
Cargo: Useful Load, lbs (kg) - 28,537 (12,943)
Dimensions - Internal
Length, max, ft (m) - 30.0 (9.1)
Width, max, ft (m) - 7.5 (2.3)
Height, max, ft (m) - 6.5 (1.9)

Transport aircraft comparision table, sloppy, but readable:
www.canit.se...

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Yes, very true...

I'am very greatfull for the good answears. But I doubt that Finalnd needs a big transport plane, C-17 is defenetly too big, and the C-130 is also pretty huge. Finalnd need a medium transport plane, just like the ones you suggested. But we must also look at other points, not just "how good a plane is", but also wich plane is best for wich situation. The Finnish air-force will hardly ever transport tanks or artillery in their planes. The planes will be used to transport troops and ammo etc. Besides, the landscape here requires a small but a powerful plane, not a huge one.

Have you ever wondered why the Fins chose the F/A-18 over the F-16. The F-16 is a far better plane in many prospects. Faster etc. But it looses to the Hornet in one thing, and that is maintainence. The Hornet is made for carrier operations. And carrier operations mean that the plane must land in small areas and be used for many different things.

Now, let's imagine that Finalnd gets attacked by a giant in the east. Wouldn't the big airfields be one big target for the enemy bombers. YES! and that's why Finland chose the carrier plane over the F-16, When the airfields are destroyed, the planes can still operate, from large roads and stuff, wicha re much harder to bomb, and know that there are enemies there... OK, after this long lesson you understand my view. A small plane can be better than a big one...

Fokker

Fokker_2

Fokker_3

F/A-18_1

F/A-18_2

F/A-18_3

[edit on 11-11-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

[edit on 11-11-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by svarionman
I think C-27J should be a great choice,

and watch the pics HERE, doing a complete tonneau...if you search on emule "Freccie tricolori" and "Rivolto" air show maybe you will watch the video...

Exellent, that is just the kind of a plane that Finalnd needs, small and very agile...

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Antonov 72 , There, I've mentioned one. One of my favourite transports that An 72 is. Ideal for the job.

We see them at Moffet Field/Onizuka AFB here in the Bay Area. They are used to transport missiles from LM Space Systems right next to the base.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Who operates them Fred? Are they on the US register? If they were that would make the canning of the YC-14 look a little ironic.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I put up a picture of one in the forum last year. Im not sure who operates them, but they charter them, there are some serious USAF guards aroudn the plane. I will try to dig up the picture and repost it.

Its not all the time mind you, but I seem to see them more than I see a C-5 there.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
That sounds cool...
But how heavily armed are the guards...?? pistols or M-16...??

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
We get Antonov Condors in here every so often. I've seen them come in carrying sailboats for a big race, to cars for a car show. We even had some come into Hickam to help carry helicopters to the Middle East.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
We get Antonov Condors in here every so often. I've seen them come in carrying sailboats for a big race, to cars for a car show. We even had some come into Hickam to help carry helicopters to the Middle East.

That sounds cool... Must be a Hell'a show, where do you live BTW...???

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join