It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best transport plane for an army...?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
No Here's the deal! I know that you aren't interested in stuff that happend here in the North... But the Finnish air-force will replace its old transport planes in a couple of years...

Fokker 27

Fokker 27_2

Fokekr 27_3

Now, what planes should Finland buy, There should be about three of them, and the Budget is a bout 60-80 milion €...

Please give me some ideas...

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
C-130 Js would work. They are fairly common,versitile, easy to maintain and spares are readily available. Should fit within your budget constraints.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
So many C-130'S have been built Finland should be able to buy some second hand ones for about £10 each
The RAF has just sold all its old C-130K's to some European country who's name escapes me for the moment.

The C-130 is a lot bigger than the F.27 though. However if the Finns are feeling adventurous they could buy the V-22 which is about the same size but for the budget available they may only get three or four( I'm guessing)compared to 25 or so old Herky's with all the extra capacity they bring with them.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
So many C-130'S have been built Finland should be able to buy some second hand ones for about £10 each
The RAF has just sold all its old C-130K's to some European country who's name escapes me for the moment.

The C-130 is a lot bigger than the F.27 though. However if the Finns are feeling adventurous they could buy the V-22 which is about the same size but for the budget available they may only get three or four( I'm guessing)compared to 25 or so old Herky's with all the extra capacity they bring with them.

True, they shouldn't be all to expensive. And they are reliable too, a good choise...

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I heard there is a few of them concorde's knocking about doing nothing at the moment... the finns might want to travel in style (and quick too)

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Good one... Yeah, that would be nice, we would be to fast for the enemy, And we could just fly away from them...

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The only military transport aircraft I know is a C5 Galaxy....

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
C-17s, with Boeing's new kit that allows them to land and take off in the same amount of space as a C-130.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
The only military transport aircraft I know is a C5 Galaxy....

Great plane but alittle costly

Unit Cost: C-5A - $152.8 million (FY98 constant dollars) C-5B - $179 million (FY98 constant dollars)

But you can carry a 70 ton combat loaded M1A1
or recreate the Wright Brothers flight in the Cargo bay.

link

I would say go with the C-130 you can get a C-130E for as little as $11.9 million. A C-130J would set you back alot more though.

link

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
C-17s, with Boeing's new kit that allows them to land and take off in the same amount of space as a C-130.

C-17 to replace the F-27?
. Do you know what an F-27 is? Talk about overkill fella.

[edit on 9-11-2005 by waynos]

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Maybe somthing like the C-23 Sherpa transport or C-27 Spartan type would be a good choice for a tactical transport that might suit the Finnish Air Force.

www.globalsecurity.org...

[edit on 9-11-2005 by bmdefiant]

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bmdefiant
Maybe somthing like the C-23 Sherpa transport or C-27 Spartan type would be a good choice for a tactical transport that might suit the Finnish Air Force.

[edit on 9-11-2005 by bmdefiant]

An exellent idea. the plane isn'ät too big, wich means it can't be to expensive either, perfect for the Finnish air-force...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

Originally posted by NWguy83

C-17 to replace the F-27?
. Do you know what an F-27 is? Talk about overkill fella.

[edit on 9-11-2005 by waynos]

HAHAHA
good one...
yes, the C-17 is not a good choise, it's too big, and pretty exensive... 70 million € isn't enough...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
the fokker looks good for ferrying finnish rupperts on pointless junkets and " fact finding missions " - but the landing gear looks far to delicate for any sort of tactical operations

the ENTIRE world uses the C-130 or an ex soviet subsitute for a very good reason

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The major disadvantage of the F27 is the lack of a rear loading ramp for ease of unloading/loading cargo.The Finns imo dont have a need for anything larger as they dont need to transport for large distances like some countries do.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think C-27J should be a great choice,

and watch the pics HERE, doing a complete tonneau...if you search on emule "Freccie tricolori" and "Rivolto" air show maybe you will watch the video...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Yep the C27J would get my vote for their transport needs - a very capable aircraft for its size.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Interesting you should say Finland has this problem, so does Australia

replacing the DHC-4 Caribou
. It's such a versitile plane not unlike to

the Fokker, it's so good in lifting capabilities and STOL there is not really an

aircraft out there at the moment that will replace it's full capabilities.

Aircraft from EADS and such have been looked at but don't seem anywhere

near the rough and short landing fields that the Caribou has been known

to operater out of. One thing that would be a viable option would be for

Finland or a Finish company to build the planes they want and can export

to other countries such as Australia. Killing two birds with one stone the

right aircraft for the Finish military, and other military's and something

Finland can export and make money out of. Just an idea, but I rekon it

could work very well if done properly with some nice designs.

PEACE

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
You know what would be a good STOL replacement for the Caribou, and maybe the F-27 too? A rear loading freight conversion of the BAe 146. Although the 146STA is a side loader BAe did design a rear loading version way back when the airliner model was relaunched in 1978

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Yeah i always wondered why this version of the 146 was never launched.Cant remember what STOL capabilities the 146 has but im sure they fly into London City Airport.

<<   2 >>

join