It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Church: Anti-war sermon imperils tax status

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

That is not at all what is happening. Again, they are not attempting to silence anyone, they are revoking a tax exemption status, not censoring anybody.

that is your opinion, and you are entitled to it, as i am to mine.

What has happened to the ATSNN? As of the last month or so the articles have been either grossly misquoted/mistated or have comments that have nothing to do with the situation.

just because someone has a different opinion than yours that opinion is immediately wrong, and warrants no further discussion? kind of a juvenile attitude in my opinion.

These mosque you speak of, are the tax exempt by the IRS? Can you name these mosque which you speak of? If they are not tax exempt by the IRS, why bring this up?

this was originally reported in the new york times:

source

"MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — Not long ago in my little mosque around the corner from a McDonald's, a student from the university here delivered a sermon. To love the Prophet Muhammad, he said, "is to hate those who hate him." He railed against man-made doctrines that replace Islamic law, and excoriated the "enemies of Islam" who deny strict adherence to Sunnah, or the ways of Muhammad. While he wasn't espousing violence, his words echoed the extremist vocabulary of Wahhabism, used by some followers to breed militant attitudes.

Americans need not look elsewhere to hear hate-filled rhetoric preached by fundamentalists. It resounds in our own back yards."

all places of worship, including mosques, are tax-exempt

tax guide for churches and religious organizations

is that enough evidence for you to at least humor my opinion, or would you like me to find you more?

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700

Originally posted by Frosty

That is not at all what is happening. Again, they are not attempting to silence anyone, they are revoking a tax exemption status, not censoring anybody.

that is your opinion, and you are entitled to it, as i am to mine.

What has happened to the ATSNN? As of the last month or so the articles have been either grossly misquoted/mistated or have comments that have nothing to do with the situation.

just because someone has a different opinion than yours that opinion is immediately wrong, and warrants no further discussion? kind of a juvenile attitude in my opinion.

These mosque you speak of, are the tax exempt by the IRS? Can you name these mosque which you speak of? If they are not tax exempt by the IRS, why bring this up?

this was originally reported in the new york times:

source

"MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — Not long ago in my little mosque around the corner from a McDonald's, a student from the university here delivered a sermon. To love the Prophet Muhammad, he said, "is to hate those who hate him." He railed against man-made doctrines that replace Islamic law, and excoriated the "enemies of Islam" who deny strict adherence to Sunnah, or the ways of Muhammad. While he wasn't espousing violence, his words echoed the extremist vocabulary of Wahhabism, used by some followers to breed militant attitudes.

Americans need not look elsewhere to hear hate-filled rhetoric preached by fundamentalists. It resounds in our own back yards."

all places of worship, including mosques, are tax-exempt

tax guide for churches and religious organizations

is that enough evidence for you to at least humor my opinion, or would you like me to find you more?

First off, this has nothing to do with anyone's opinion, it is quite clear that it is a fact that the issue is tax exemption. Honestly, look at the first line you quoted from your source:

The Internal Revenue Service has warned a prominent liberal church it could lose its tax-exempt status because of an anti-war sermon a guest preacher gave on the eve of the 2004 presidential election, church officials say

Secondly, apparently not all places of worship are tax exempt as this church is endangered of losing their's. So could you please show me some evidence that these mosque you speak of are tax exempt?

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
frosty,

i have layed out my argument quite well. if you are too closed minded to actually look at it objectively, then i dont really give a whoopty do. additionally, i have already provided you the evidence you have requested, proving that mosques are tax-exempt (i refer you back to my previous post). if you are too lazy to actually read it, then again, i dont really give a whoopty do what your opinion on the matter is. furthermore, if you actually do decide the read the sources i have provided, and still think that there may be mosques out there that have lost their tax-exemption status, then please, by all means, search away. if you find one, let me know, because i havent been able to. otherwise, it would be fair to reason that all mosques in the US are tax-exempt. have a nice day.

[edit on 9-11-2005 by snafu7700]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Now, this is sticking your nose into the political arena.

Pat Robertson warns Pa. town of disaster

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

"VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson warned residents of a rural Pennsylvania town Thursday that disaster may strike there because they "voted God out of your city" by ousting school board members who favored teaching intelligent design."

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

vote our way or face the wrath of God!!!

do they enjoy the life of a tax-free status...they shouldn't be!

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
Now, this is sticking your nose into the political arena.

Pat Robertson warns Pa. town of disaster

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

"VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson warned residents of a rural Pennsylvania town Thursday that disaster may strike there because they "voted God out of your city" by ousting school board members who favored teaching intelligent design."

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

vote our way or face the wrath of God!!!

do they enjoy the life of a tax-free status...they shouldn't be!

and that is exactly what i'm talking about. extremists are extremists. be they muslim, christian, or jew. and they are being ignored while the government goes after this one church for an anti-war sermon. hypocritical to the extreme.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Do you mean to tell me that Pat Robertson is still tax free?

outrageous... that alone should exonerate this poor picked on church...

either crack down on them all, or leave them alone to sink there own ships...

either one, I dont care...
otherwise, this action is political revenge upon a church by a ruthless godless government... that supports a false leader with unethical methods...

whoever tried to pull this boner, has an appointment with the big guy...

<< 1   >>

join