It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threat to non Politically correct Festive Lights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Even though most of us are not surprised by this anymore, I still find myself gritting my teeth whenever I hear or read about how slowly but surely, some of our traditions of the "Festive Season" seem to be swimming down the toilet bowl. Will the madness ever cease?

A council may stop helping to pay for Christmas lighting displays because they are not politically correct.

The council is proposing to halve its £10,000 donation to fund lights in market towns and eventually do away with it altogether.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I would like to know who all these people are who deem our way of life and our traditions as politically incorrect, and am well aware of whom they may be, but whether the lights represent religious overtones for some, for many others, myself included they are a part of our traditions some of us hold very dear. So this year I will put extra lights on my tree and around my house and hope that the politically correct will finally see the light and not go blind in the process

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I hear ya!

'politically correct' is an oxymoron, too--now that I think about it.

Whaddya think?

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
CLisanig, I think you accidentally replied in the wrong topic. Check messages and let me know if you want that deleted.

On topic Alpha, I don't know that it is a council's job to fund £10,000 in festive lights or anything else for that matter.

But certainly continue discussion in General Ideological Debate.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It would seem, to me, that a council's primary goal would be the public it serves; in various ways, including both safety and the 'pursuit of happiness.' It goes without saying that we all have different philosophies/belief systems....but these are individual and are within the rights of citizenship as long as they don't pose a threat to self or others. Also, no doubt budget constraints play a big part in any governmental administration.

All that being said, though--it still seems out of line, somehow, to say funds will be withdrawn for something many enjoy, perhaps a few object to, and some might even be indifferent to--because of 'politicial incorrectness.' If the problem is primarily lack of funds, that ought to be stated as the reason--and if truly it is by reason of 'political incorrectness'--why should politics matter to the general public in regard to holiday celebrations and such? If the people like it (more than don't like it) wouldn't that, in itself, render something 'politically correct' for that jurisdiction? Who is the judge of matters of this sort? And what are they based on?

Political incorrectness/correctness is just another tool used to manipulate the lives of the many by the whims of the few. (IMO)

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is so funny! I can understand a city council not wanting to pay for a religious observance. Unless they give equal amounts to other religious observances. Do they? I doubt it. I don't like my taxes going into a religious cause.

BUT most people who are not Christian celebrate Christmas! They want the presents and the shopping and the trees and the festivity, but they don't want to associate it with religion. So they want to call them Winter lights?

Here's another related story

A decision to call Christmas lights "Winter Lights" in south London has been condemned as showing a "total lack of respect" for Christians.
In three of Lambeth's main town centres, the lights were referred to as "Winter Lights", while in a fourth they were called "Celebrity Lights".

The council spokeswoman said an official was concerned about people from other religions.

Winter Lights

I don't understand. If people are complaining about the lights being called "Christmas Lights" (as being not PC), then they're the ones who don't celebrate Christmas, right? Then what are they worried about? They want their own lights? To celebrate what? If they're not Christian, what are they doing celebrating Christmas??

alphacenturi - your link didn't work for me...

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Sorry about that, Benevelont, still new here, funny after I posted the thread I went back to check and and guess what, I couldn't get the link to work for me either
, thought maybe it had something to do with the process here on ATS, maybe checking the link first or whatnot. I recieved a wink wink, nudge nudge, from Rant informing me that this thread was already posted in General Ideologies, I guess Stumason beat me to it. Oh well. This is my first time posting a thread on ATS and I am humbled by all of you who replied
. I am going to check out Stumason's thread to see what the skinny is

top topics

join