It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mother of all bombs baby!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Yeah, I LOOOOVE the MOAB, that is a hell of a bomb...

Think about that bomb in a carpet bombing, I wouldn't want to be down there...

MOAB

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
OH, UUPS, that video was already psoted...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If someone pisses us off I say we load up 10 or 15 C-5Bs full of MOABs and do a little carpet bombing. Wonder what that would have done to Falujah?

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

Originally posted by NWguy83
Yeah, this was all over the U.S media in the lead up to the Iraq war. Fox News aired the test like 20 times.

Sorry, I tend not to lend my attention to Fox News.

Shattered OUT...

Every news agency channel shows things dozens of times...its so it your just tunning it you didn't miss anything. Thats goes for Fox, CNN, ABC, ect.

and why laugh at Fox? There a better news source then CNN.

But about the bomb...I like the MOAB...and also the MOP (Massive Ordnance Penetrator) it should have its first drop in 2006, its 30,000 lbs of tnt made to dessimate bunkers.

The MOAB in action.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
But about the bomb...I like the MOAB...and also the MOP (Massive Ordnance Penetrator) it should have its first drop in 2006, its 30,000 lbs of tnt made to dessimate bunkers.

30 000 lbs is a very heavy weapon. However only a fraction ( around 25% ) would be actual explosive, the rest of the weight is made up of the casing and heavy metal ballast.
The same goes for the MOAB as well, the casing takes up at least half the weight because it has to be able to contain the explosion just long enough to create a high order detonation. In other words the explosive has to be contained long enough to ensure that most of detonates before it blows itself apart.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
MOAB is an air blast weapon.
The 21,700-pound bomb contains 18,700 pounds of high explosive.
86.18% explosive by weight.

MOP is a ground penetrator.
GBU-28 Example: The bombs are modified Army artillery tubes, weigh 4,637 pounds, and contain 630 pounds of high explosives.
13.59% explosive by weight.

MOP would be designed from scratch, and probably be a higher explosive weight ratio, using a better hard steel casing. So 25% is a good guess, although I suspect 50%-50% or even 2/3 (66%) was the design target.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
'Wonder what that would have done to Falujah? '

Killed lots of civilians, destroyed lots of homes and made enemies all over the world as well as alienating most of the Iraqi population.

MOAB is a special-purpose tool, it's not made for destroying cities. Carpet bombing went out of fashion many years ago for excellent reasons.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
i would say use it only if it can wipe out a large concentration of troops in an area where no civilians are nearby. but dats pretty much optimistic. unless North Korea with its million man army invades South Korea, the MOAB will not be use for the current conflict as of right now.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

'Wonder what that would have done to Falujah? '

Killed lots of civilians, destroyed lots of homes and made enemies all over the world as well as alienating most of the Iraqi population.

My question was sarcasm directed at the people who feel that the US Military is not concerned about civilian casualties. The US could have very easily carpet bombed Falujah and probably would have saved American lives, but they chose not to and did it the hard way.

Sometimes I forget that ATS is an international forum and that sometimes my comments are not recieved as I intend. For this I do apologize.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
MOAB is a weapon used to strike fear in the hearts of many. It is a deterent like nuclear arms.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If someone pisses us off I say we load up 10 or 15 C-5Bs full of MOABs and do a little carpet bombing. Wonder what that would have done to Falujah?

yeah, that would look really good...

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
- My question was sarcasm -

Oops! I totally failed to detect it - it's very hard to parody the "let's bomb them all" brigade, I think a smiley may be needed...

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

... destroying cities. Carpet bombing went out of fashion many years ago for excellent reasons.

Namely, when the allies carpet bombed Hamburg in WW2 in 1943 (I think) they killed about 44,000 civilians and then 5 months later the germans had restored something like 90% production.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Here's an interesting picture of a B-29 modified to carry two 22,000lb Grand Slam bombs.

The picture below shows a Grandslam on the left and the 25,000lb US AIr Force Sampson.

Furhter reading : VERY HEAVY CONVENTIONAL BOMBS

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be more effective as an incendieary weapon?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join