It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Troops Tame Baghdad Airport Road

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Once a symbol of chaos and lawlessness in Iraq, the road from Baghdad to its international airport is now one of the safest in the country. 13 people were killed by insurgents along the road in April, but in October there was only one injury and no fatalities. The U.S. Army attributes the great improvement to increased patrols by Iraqi and U.S. forces.

seattletimes.nwsource.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq — It used to be the most dangerous highway in Iraq, five miles of bomb-blasted road between Baghdad International Airport and the cityscape. To reach Baghdad or leave it, you had to survive the airport road.

For 2 ½ years, the road in many ways was a symbol of the U.S. failure to secure Iraq. Military convoys roared past in a frantic attempt to escape the looming dangers of suicide bombers, grenades, rockets and booby-trapped litter.

In April, 13 people died along the route, including U.S. aid worker Marla Ruzicka. In the median, the flying-man statue — a landmark that pays homage to a medieval astronomer who tried to fly, and died, using homemade wings — was the silent witness. People died on this road in fiery, awful ways, and the flying man seemed to take it all in.

Then, two months ago, the killings stopped. In October, one person was wounded on the road and no one was killed, according to the U.S. Army. Credit simple, boots-on-the-ground military tactics, Army officials said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If you were wondering why you haven't heard about this road lately, this is why: It's now good news rather than bad. Although this is just one stretch of highway, it has been a symbol of failure in Iraq -- hopefully its turnaround will be symbolic of improving conditions throughout Iraq going forward.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Either that or the insurgens have realised - its not worth it, and have diverted their attacks to where they have more gain than loss.

[edit on 7-11-2005 by Ishes]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yes, but you could say that the only real battles that the insurgents have won are those where the media ends up painting things in a bad light for the Bush administration and the war in Iraq. This road has been one of those symbols. The insurgents should understand the importance of these symbols in getting us to withdraw from Iraq.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So after 2+ years, we've managed to secure one highway running from the middle of the capital to the main airport?

Clearly toal victory is imminent

[edit on 11/7/05 by xmotex]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Ishes--
I would say insurgents deciding to leave because of heavy losses means a victory on our part.

xmotex--
I do not believe this is to say it is the one only highway to be secured in Iraq, it is saying thye have finally managed to secure a main highway in the city which has been plagued with attacks for awhile.

Hey its all good now I may decide to go visit Baghdad for some investment purposes, if I were an investor of course. Likelihood of me dying before I even reach a prostective deal is at least gone down on the main road now.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This highway has been labelled the most dangerous since we landed in Iraq in 2003. I never could understand why. Agreed, I don't know the lay of the land alongside the highway, but it never made sense to me.

Why couldn't they have defoliated both sides of the highway for about 500 meters, and patrol it with choppers?

I bet when Rumsfeld or one of the honchos visits, they take a chopper from the airport to wherever. Or, maybe they land on a carrier. But that doesn't help the salesman trying to catch the 07:15 Baghdad-to-Cleveland shuttle, does it?

new topics

top topics

join