It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

green shooting stars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

...and you'll probably see many more if you look again in the coming nights. See my post here about the Perseids, which are already underway:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 31-7-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SabreOne

August 16 2008 at around 2:30am. I saw a green meteor falling at the eastern sky of Saudi Arabia.

Awesome! This a posting to record the sighting.

-omar

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Wow this is weird. I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. I was on my back porch about a week ago around 3am having a smoke. I also saw one of these green shooting stars and it didn't disappear until about 200 ft from the ground. I'm not even sure if it completely burned up before it hit the ground. This appeared to come down only a few blocks away from my house. It had the appearance of one of those flares that fall to the ground after a fireworks explosion. I thought this was very odd considering the size, color, and the fact that I live in the city with a bunch of lights, where it is hard to see any stars. Then again this past Monday night about 11:15 pm I saw another one, only this time in the opposite direction and it was farther up in the atmosphere, but still fairly close to the ground. What the hell is going on? I live in southeast, Tn btw.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by edgecrusher2199
I also saw one of these green shooting stars and it didn't disappear until about 200 ft from the ground. I'm not even sure if it completely burned up before it hit the ground. This appeared to come down only a few blocks away from my house.

Meteors can play tricks on our eyes - see this page to understand why this is:
www.meteorobs.org...

It had the appearance of one of those flares that fall to the ground after a fireworks explosion. I thought this was very odd considering the size, color, and the fact that I live in the city with a bunch of lights, where it is hard to see any stars.

Neat ain't they ?

Not odd at all, considering we were in the middle of the Orionids meteor shower back then. Bright & colorful meteors are much more frequent than you might think - check out the Perseids in August and the Leonids which are peaking in a weeks time!

Then again this past Monday night about 11:15 pm I saw another one, only this time in the opposite direction and it was farther up in the atmosphere, but still fairly close to the ground. What the hell is going on? I live in southeast, Tn btw.

The Taurids peak over last weekend would probably account for the second meteor you saw, but it's hard to say exactly what it was without much more info - Orionids are a possibility also.

More info on the recent activty in this thread here: Seen a swift/very swift moving light (colored or white) in the sky? - *PLEASE READ this first*

Here's a shot I managed to get of a rare all-green Leonid earth grazer a few years back when the Leonids were still in "storm mode". It was taken with a wide angle lens so the meteor has been compressed somewhat - in real life, it seemed to cross 1/3 or maybe more of the entire sky - photographs of meteors really if ever do them justice!

[edit on 9-11-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Yes!
I work on an airfield in the evening time and have a very clear view of the sky.
I have seen a couple very brilliant, green shooting stars lately. They seem to last for a startling length of time. The first one I saw, I really thought it was a flare!
Anyway. I have witnessed them, too, and live in Alabama. I really doubt they are being dropped from any aircraft unidentified or not, as they are really cooking in speed.

saw the same exact thing in Florida back in 04'
was SO bright and so far in the distance.. thought it was going to hit the ground.
moving sooo fast.
did that flickering.. flicker flicker... then a big brightness..wooooosh!

i thought.. GREEN?
then i thought it would have to do with the chemical composition that made it burn green.

-

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
i thought.. GREEN?
then i thought it would have to do with the chemical composition that made it burn green.

It's a combination of atmosphere and composition of the meteoroid. If you look at the photos I posted a bit earlier on in the thread - here they are again:

link

...you can see that meteors go from green to yellow to orange to red. This is because there is more oxygen at the altitude meteors first become visible at, than there is nitrogen. Lower down the N2 becomes more prevalent, and since N2 emits red, and O2 emits green light when excited, you can see how many meteors get their color.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

that's what I saw..

interesting..
thnx.

-

[edit on 9-11-2008 by prevenge]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The composition of the meteoroid plays an important part in the observed colors of a meteor, with certain elements displaying signature colors when vaporized. For example, sodium produces a bright yellow color, nickel shows as green, and magnesium as blue-white. The velocity of the meteor also plays an important role, since a higher level of kinetic energy will excite the atoms to a higher degree. Slow meteors are often reported as red or orange, while fast meteors frequently have a blue color. Due to the nearly identical composition and velocity of meteors belonging to a particular shower, several showers are known for their characteristically colored meteors.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I had never seen this until we moved to eastern NC. My mother and I saw one for the first time back in 2000.It looked so low, and was so bright, we actually called Law enforcement and the local airport to see if there was a distressed craft possibly going down. Now, we see them all the time. They truly are beautiful to see and the ones we have seen lasted for a very long time.

BTW, C.H.U.D, those are fabulous pictures! thank you for digging those up!

edit due to dyslexia

[edit on 10-11-2008 by Haiku]

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by undermind

I live in Massachusetts and saw a green shooting star two nights ago while my husband and I were driving. It was beautiful and lasted for a while. I too thought it was a flare at first.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join