It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Offspring Died When Mother Rats Ate GM Soy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Most Offspring Died
When Mother Rats
Ate GM Soy
By Jeffrey M. Smith
Author of Seeds of Deception
GMWatch.com
10-31-5

The Russian scientist planned a simple experiment to see if eating genetically modified (GM) soy might influence offspring. What she got, however, was an astounding result that may threaten a multi-billion dollar industry.

Irina Ermakova, a leading scientist at the Institute of Higher Nervous Activity and Neurophysiology of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), added GM soy flour (5-7 grams) to the diet of female rats. Other females were fed non-GM soy or no soy at all. The experimental diet began two weeks before the rats conceived and continued through pregnancy and nursing.

Ermakova's first surprise came when her pregnant rats started giving birth. Some pups from GM-fed mothers were quite a bit smaller. After 2 weeks, 36% of them weighed less than 20 grams compared to about 6% from the other groups (see photo below).

www.seedsofdeception.com...

Other articles.. sites..

www.responsibletechnology.org... [ includes list of non GM foods]
www.i-sis.org.uk...
www.seedsofdeception.com...

© Copyright 2005 by Jeffrey M. Smith.
Permission is granted to reproduce this in whole or in part.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by psilocin]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Wow. Great find.

...and I'm thinking most soy and soy products on the market are from GM soy.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I've been against all this GM stuff for years, and this just reinforces it. I cannot believe how much of this sort of thing gets passed off to the public without YEARS of study...people who aren't aware of GM issues just can't imagine that these things aren't tested and studied extensively. UGH.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Soy is actually beneficial for many purposes, especially cancer. There was a study done on GM soy and it seemed to lack anti cancer properties. This was found because some cultural group, having diet based on soy who lived in US did not seem to have low cancer occurances, as the people who lived outside US [those living in eastern countries]. They concluded that people living in US who same diet as those living in the east were at higher risk to cancer because modified soy lacked key ingriedient - antiangiogenesis factor that prevents cancer.

I'll look for that study and post it.. Just another reason to to cautious and encourage FDA to find actual proof that GM food is safe. They have not done such studies so far, and yet millions of people are eating GM foods.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Your guess is right, most of the soy on the market is GM.

Currently Commercialized GM Crops in the U.S.
(Number in parentheses represents the estimated percent that is genetically modified.)
Soy (85%)
Cotton (76%)
Canola (75%)
Corn (40%)
Hawaiian papaya (more than 50%)
Zucchini and yellow squash (small amount)
Tobacco (Quest® brand)

www.responsibletechnology.org... odsAtAGlance/index.cfm

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Sometimes stories like this that seem too good to be true to the anti GE lobby, are in fact too good to be true.

As somone posts here
forum.physorg.com...

"It hasn"t yet been peer reviewed and the methodology has not been spelled out in detail." - this is critical point.

Dr. Irina Ermakova use non-scientific methods to promote her doubtful results. She prefers mass media, but not peer review scientific magazines. Here, in Russia, shy try to get to any site, newspaper or radio station. Now she got to UBI. Bravo!

I'll await some REAL research before I venture an opinion. If it is true then its world shaking, otherwise its a hoax.

One postive side effect will be a lowering of the obesity rates in America as
this site notes that in the US, the majority of soy crop is genetically modified.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   

One postive side effect will be a lowering of the obesity rates in America as
this site notes that in the US, the majority of soy crop is genetically modified.

Clearly, if you're using such logic to come to a conclusion that this was a non scientific study, then your conclusion is flawed, as is your OPINION that is a hoax. There is such thing as decreased body weight as a sign of unhealthy functionality of the body. This has nothing to do with lowering obesity, lower body weight was only due to decreased functioning of essential body organs such as liver. Lower body weight was result of negative impact on the body. If you consider this a benifit, then go ahead and start eating poison, i'm sure you'll loose weight, and be VERY HEALTHY.

Irina Ermakova is a leading scientist at the Institute of Higher Nervous Activity and Neurophysiology of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS). Under what evidence would one conclude that methods used were non scientific?
The study was presented to scientific panel. It was originally presented on October 10, 2005 to the symposium on genetic modification in Russia, organized by the National Association for Genetic Security (NAGS). While perhaps it is a biased study, there is no proof that it was done using "nonscientific methods".

[edit on 6-11-2005 by psilocin]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
FYI - Although Ermakova writes in Russian, she appears to have 27 papers listed in the US Institutes of Health PubMed database. ...I'm not 100% positive, but this looks like our Irina.

1 - 27 of 27
One page.
1: Butovskaya ML, Boyko EY, Selverova NB, Ermakova IV. Related Articles, Links
Free Full Text The hormonal basis of reconciliation in humans.
J Physiol Anthropol Appl Human Sci. 2005 Jul;24(4):333-7.
PMID: 16079576 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
2: Ermakova IV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract [Change in adrenal glucocorticoid function in first grade boys during adaptation to the beginning of learning in school and during the course of the school year]
Fiziol Cheloveka. 2002 Jan-Feb;28(1):35-41. Russian. No abstract available.
PMID: 11855133 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
3: Loseva EV, Vorob'ev VN, Alekseeva TG, Ermakova IV, Zakharov IS, Lermontova NN, Balaban PM. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Development of neuronal ganglion xenografts from gastropoda in rat brain.
Bull Exp Biol Med. 2001 Jul;132(1):689-94.
PMID: 11687855 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
4: Loseva EV, Vorobyev VN, Ermakova IV, Lermontova NN, Alekseeva TG, Zakharov IS, Balaban PM. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Comparison of reactive processes in the rat brain elicited by xenotransplantation of nervous tissues of chicken or pulmonate snail.
Brain Res. 2001 Oct 12;915(2):125-32.
PMID: 11595201 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
5: Ermakova IV, Kuznetsova GD, Loseva EV, Sidorenkov AE, Ioffe ME. Related Articles, Links
Abstract The use of neural transplantation for suppression of seizure activity in genetically epilepsy-prone rats.
Bull Exp Biol Med. 2000 Sep;130(9):852-6.
PMID: 11177263 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
6: Ermakova IV, Kuznetsova GD, Doseva EV, Petrova EV, Ioffe ME. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [The effect of neural transplantation on audiogenic seizures in rats of different genetic strains]
Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova. 1996 Jul-Aug;46(4):776-86. Russian.
PMID: 8984817 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
7: Ermakova IV, Zhulin VV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract Recovery of behavioral functions following the transplantation of the embryonal striatum into the damaged amygdala of the rat brain.
Neurosci Behav Physiol. 1996 Jan-Feb;26(1):11-2. No abstract available.
PMID: 8801463 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
8: Ermakova IV, Zhulin VV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract [The recovery of behavioral functions after the transplantation of embryonic striatum to the damaged amygdala in rats]
Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova. 1994 Apr;80(4):113-5. Russian. No abstract available.
PMID: 7530076 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
9: Aleksandrova MA, Loseva EV, Ermakova IV. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [The behavior of embryonic nerve cells transplanted into the brain]
Ontogenez. 1993 Sep-Oct;24(5):43-50. Russian.
PMID: 8233306 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
10: Aleksandrova MA, Ermakova IV, Loseva EV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract [Migration of cells from neocortical transplants]
Dokl Akad Nauk. 1993 Feb;328(5):619-21. Russian. No abstract available.
PMID: 8477235 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
11: Zukhar AV, Mikhailova NG, Ermakova IV, Loseva EV. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Influence of neurotransplantation on rats' behavior with different conditions of reinforcement.
Physiol Behav. 1991 Dec;50(6):1087-91.
PMID: 1798761 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
12: Zukhar' AV, Mikhailova NG, Ermakova IV, Loseva EV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract Significance of the character and probability of reinforcement in animals with transplantation of various embryonal tissue structures.
Neurosci Behav Physiol. 1991 Nov-Dec;21(6):523-5. No abstract available.
PMID: 1803273 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
13: Mikhailova NG, Zukhar AV, Loseva EV, Ermakova IV. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Influence of brain embryonic tissue transplantation (early period) on rat's reactions of avoiding zoosocial and artificial stimuli.
Physiol Behav. 1991 Oct;50(4):831-3.
PMID: 1775559 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
14: Mikhailova NG, Zukhar' AV, Loseva EV, Ermakova IV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract Influence of transplantation of embryonal brain tissue (early periods) on reactions of avoidance of artificial and zoosocial stimuli in rats.
Neurosci Behav Physiol. 1991 Jan-Feb;21(1):34-7. No abstract available.
PMID: 2062425 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
15: Ermakova IV, Loseva EV, Podachin VP. Related Articles, Links
No abstract Influence of neurotransplantation on search for food in rats following electrolytic lesion of the amygdala.
Neurosci Behav Physiol. 1990 Nov-Dec;20(6):543-5. No abstract available.
PMID: 1710795 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
16: Zukhar' AV, Mikhailova NG, Ermakova IV, Loseva EV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract [The significance of the quality and probability of reinforcement in animals with different structures of embryonic tissue transplanted]
Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova. 1990 Jul-Aug;40(4):779-82. Russian. No abstract available.
PMID: 2174623 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
17: Loseva EV, Ermakova IV, Tarasova LIu. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [The action of neural transplantation on the brain of rats with a damaged temporal cortex]
Neirofiziologiia. 1990;22(5):586-95. Russian.
PMID: 2263290 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
18: Mikhailova NG, Zukhar' AV, Loseva EV, Ermakova IV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract [The effect of the transplantation of embryonic brain tissue (the early periods) on the reaction of avoiding artificial and zoosocial stimuli in the rat]
Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova. 1990 Jan-Feb;40(1):179-82. Russian. No abstract available.
PMID: 2162596 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
19: Ermakova IV, Loseva EV, Podachin VP. Related Articles, Links
No abstract [The effect of neural transplantation on the search for food in rats after electrolytic damage of the amygdala]
Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova. 1989 Nov-Dec;39(6):1163-6. Russian. No abstract available.
PMID: 2629407 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
20: Loseva EV, Ermakova IV, Mikheeva TS. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [The effect of a neurotransplant of embryonal tissue on reactive processes during brain trauma in rats]
Izv Akad Nauk SSSR Biol. 1989 Jul-Aug;(4):605-9. Russian.
PMID: 2794234 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
21: Amemori T, Ermakova IV, Buresova O, Zigova T, Racekova E, Bures J. Related Articles, Links
Abstract Brain transplants enhance rather than reduce the impairment of spatial memory and olfaction in bulbectomized rats.
Behav Neurosci. 1989 Feb;103(1):61-70.
PMID: 2923677 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
22: Ermakova IV, Loseva EV, Valouskova V, Bures J. Related Articles, Links
Abstract The effect of embryonal amygdala grafts on the impairment of spatial working memory elicited in rats by kainate-induced amygdaloid damage.
Physiol Behav. 1989 Feb;45(2):235-41.
PMID: 2756010 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
23: Umanskii LD, Ermakova IV, Mikhailova NG, Loseva EV, Nozdracheva LV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract [Effect on the rat brain of small concentrations of the alkaloid-containing substance ignatium-amar administered perorally]
Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova. 1989 Jan-Feb;39(1):148-52. Russian. No abstract available.
PMID: 2735121 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
24: Volovik MG, Shevelev IA, Vinogradova OS, Bragin AG, Podachin VP, Lushchekina EA, Ermakova IV, Tsykalov EN, Budko KP, Gorbach AM, et al. Related Articles, Links
No abstract Thermovision control of neurotransplant in rats.
Neurosci Behav Physiol. 1988 Nov-Dec;18(6):492-7. No abstract available.
PMID: 3237329 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
25: Ermakova IV, Loseva EV, Guliaeva NV. Related Articles, Links
Abstract [Behavioral, morphologic and biochemical correlates of the early effect of a neural transplant into the damaged brain of adult rats]
Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova. 1988 Sep-Oct;38(5):922-30. Russian.
PMID: 3223076 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
26: Ermakova IV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract [Possibilities of restoring disrupted food search in the rat using nerve transplantation]
Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova. 1987 Jan-Feb;37(1):168-71. Russian. No abstract available.
PMID: 3577411 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
27: LINDVAL RV, ERMAKOVA IV. Related Articles, Links
No abstract [DETERMINATION OF ACETYLENE IN THE AIR BY THE INFRARED SPECTROSCOPIC METHOD.]
Gig Sanit. 1963 Sep;28:51-4. Russian. No abstract available.
PMID: 14112087 [PubMed - OLDMEDLINE for Pre1966]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Thank you for the list from PubMed, this clearly presents that the studies performed were scientific.
In addition, I'm sure this is not the only study out there to provide basis to discontinue the use of GM crops until proven otherwise.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
psilocin - It takes a few years and several peer reviews for research articles to get listed on PubMed. ...The list above just proves that Ermakova is a VERY legitimate scientist and neurologist.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Wow! I thought I had made major progress cutting out non-organic meats and dairy from my diet, but I just checked out the list of GM foods on the site provided and I am beside myself.

There is nothing in my cabinets that isn't adulterated.
Every major brand seems to be using GM products in their foods. Of course, I knew that GM foods have less nutritional value, but this study puts it in a whole other light.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It gets even worse..

"Congress has made a sham out of the organic label. The Agricultural Appropriations Conference Committee has bowed to well-financed industry lobbyists in allowing synthetic (chemically derived) ingredients into food labeled as “organic”."

I've also read some articles where they are trying to get the rules changed so they can use non-organic produce if organic is not available.. and still label it as organic.

Our government officials are bending over for the big guys.. so even if it's labeled organic.. it might contain GM.

new topics

top topics

join