It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember Veteran's Day - November 11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
History of Veterans Day:

1921 - an unknown World War I American soldier was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Similar ceremonies occurred earlier in England and France, where an unknown soldier was buried in each nation's highest place of honor (in England, Westminster Abbey; in France, the Arc de Triomphe).

These memorial services all took place on November 11, the anniversary of the end of World War I at 11:00 a.m., November 11, 1918 (the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month), which became known as Armistice Day.
1926 - Armistice Day officially became a holiday in the United States, and a national holiday 12 years later.

On June 1, 1954, the name was changed to Veterans Day to honor all U.S. veterans.

1968 - new legislation changed the national commemoration of Veterans Day to the fourth Monday in October. It soon became apparent, however, that November 11 was a date of historic significance to many Americans. Therefore, in 1978 Congress returned the observance to its traditional date.

Official, national ceremonies for Veterans Day center around the Tomb of the Unknowns. To honor these men, symbolic of all Americans who gave their lives in all wars, an Army honor guard, the 3d U.S. Infantry (The Old Guard), keeps day and night vigil.

At 11 a.m. on November 11, a combined color guard representing all military services executes "Present Arms" at the tomb. The nation's tribute to its war dead is symbolized by the laying of a presidential wreath and the playing of "Taps."

I encourage all, regardless of nationality, to set aside a moment of silence and pay respect to your fallen heroes!

If, for one reason or another, we can't agree on the cause that resulted in their passing, I hope that we can at least agree on the need to always remember, always honor and NEVER forget those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the lives we live today.

Let's form a global tribute to ALL brothers in arms caught in harm's way by posting your respective country's "Veteran's Day" and what it entails.

Photos of traditional ceremonies would be greatly appreciated.

In the US the national ceremony is at Arlington National Cemetery.

Here's a link to photos from last year's 2004 National Veterans Day Ceremony

Although this is the National ceremony for the US, I realize there are many state, county, and local ceremonies as well.

I would like to encourage all USofA members here on ATS to please post your locality's ceremony/parade/tradition in remembrance of fallen heroes!

With that said . . .

Post away!

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Roger that 12m. I will fly Old Glory and the USMC flag on my porch.

To all of the ATS members that have served this country. You did good, stand proud!

Roper

new topics

join