It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Things Science Can't Explain

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Dr. Claude Swanson
Author or The Synchronized Universe

A new book, The Synchronized Universe, reveals that the tapestry of modern science is showing a few tatters...There are many things modern science cannot explain, and yet they occur anyway. This includes phenomena in the "hard sciences" as well as in the paranormal. These effects are now being proven in the laboratory, even though they defy present scientific theory. These unfolding mysteries point the way to a new, deeper science, a science which no longer denies spirit and consciousness, but acknowledges and embraces them.

In the past three decades scientific evidence has accumulated showing that the present scientific paradigm is broken. In the hard sciences:

www.synchronizeduniverse.com...

I thought this was an interesting read, but the author seems to make many assumptions.
I think that they aren't necessarily things science can't explain, but just subjects which we don't fully understand yet
What do you think?

Mod Edit: Removed full copy paste.

[edit on 20-11-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
While I certainly believe in 7 and 11 and give strong possibilities to number 8 I don't think I'd consider psychokinesis as a proven phenomena (imo of course).

You also forgot to mention the following unexplainable things:

1) Clamato juice

2) Competitive Jello sculpting

3) That kid in college who would eat anything for a dollar.

4) Ben Afflecks career.

I'd like to see science tackle those.

SPiderj

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Very interesting stuff.

IMO - ...Seems like it's the direct cause-and-effect assumptions that are in question. Complexity theory accommodates the apparently unexplainable, but doesn't quantify the interrelationships of the mechanisms and influences/forces - and complexity theory has been around for a while. It's popular in predicting stock exchange activity, but dissed in the hard sciences - I think because of the legal implications.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Another one: why we're here in the first place.

They've been trying to figure out how we got here with plenty of theories like the big bang and macro evolution, etc., but of course that's not the same thing.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Uh, there is no Law of Gravity... It is the Theory of Gravity. It use to be a Law, then some uppity Jew by the name of Albert Einstein had to come up with his theories that turned the Law of Gravity into the Theory of Gravity.(BTW, I say "uppity jew" as a joke, like how George Washington was a "uppity colonist" in the enemies views)

Anyways, Dark Matter? They have exp. catching that, they do it miles underground though. Saw a thing on it on Discovery Channel.

Also, the last what, 5 things aren't scientific, they are "I feel a presence, just 3.99 for the first 5 minutes and 1.99 for every minute after that."

That's like, as Spiderj put it, asking science to explain Ben Affleck's career.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Full Metal
Uh, there is no Law of Gravity... It is the Theory of Gravity. It use to be a Law, then some uppity Jew by the name of Albert Einstein had to come up with his theories that turned the Law of Gravity into the Theory of Gravity.(BTW, I say "uppity jew" as a joke, like how George Washington was a "uppity colonist" in the enemies views)

You're right and wrong here. Einstein's General Relativity is a theory on how gravity operates..ie massive objects warp or curve space/time.(Here ya go)

The "Law" of gravity is Newton's: Law of Gravity or here is a good explaination too.

If i jump off a cliff i will fall and at a specific rate..that is the Law of Gravity. Why i fall is a theory, ie General Relativity. Make sense now?

Anyways, Dark Matter? They have exp. catching that, they do it miles underground though. Saw a thing on it on Discovery Channel.

Saw that show too. They're trying to study neutrinos(which i think are still hypothetical but i'm not sure on that). physicsweb.org

Early in the search for dark matter it was realized that if the neutrino had a mass in the range 10-50 eV c-2 (the electron, in comparison, has a mass of 500 000 eV c-2), then the enormous number of neutrinos created during the big bang would be able to account for all the dark matter in the universe. Although the neutrino has zero mass in the Standard Model, various extensions of the model do allow it to have a mass. In recent years, observations of solar and atmospheric neutrinos have indicated that one flavour can change into another, which can only happen if the neutrino has mass.

originally posted by: Japairman

I think that they aren't necessarily things science can't explain, but just subjects which we don't fully understand yet
What do you think?

I think that's a fair statement and makes the most sense.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Modern Science does not understand Gravity or the true composition and mass of the Universe , thus the need to include large amounts of non-existent "Dark Matter" so that their model of the Universe doesn't fall apart.

Its also interesting that your list did not include UFOs.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by lost_shaman]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
TaTa

www.scieng.flinders.edu.au...

PDF bestand.

Quote:
The new theory of gravity which has emerged from Process Physics is in agreement with all experiments and observations. This theory has two gravitational constants: G, the Newtonian gravitational constant, and a second dimensionless constant which experiment has revealed to be the fine structure constant. This theory explains the so-called `dark matter' effect in spiral galaxies, the bore hole gravitational anomalies, the masses of the observed black holes at the centres of globular clusters, and the anomalies in Cavendish laboratory measurements of G.

www.scieng.flinders.edu.au...

Quote:
The Speed of Light and the Einstein Legacy: 1905-2005
Published: Infinite Energy, Volume 10, Issue 60, pp. 28-37(2005).
Abstract: That the speed of light is always c (approx 300,000 km/s) relative to any observer in nonaccelerating motion is one of the foundational concepts of physics. Experimentally this was supposed to have been first revealed by the 1887 Michelson-Morley experiment, and was made one of EinsteinÌs key postulates of Special Relativity in 1905. However in 2002 the actual 1887 fringe shift data was analysed for the first time with a theory for the Michelson interferometer that used both the Fitzgerald-Lorentz contraction effect, as well as the effect of the air on the speed of light. That analysis showed that the data gave an absolute motion speed in excess of 300 km/s. So far six other experiments have been shown to give the same result. This implies that the foundations of physics require significant revision. As well data shows that both Newtonian gravity and General Relativity are also seriously flawed, and a new theory of gravity is shown to explain various so-called gravitational `anomaliesÌ, including the `dark matterÌ effect. So the centenary of EinsteinÌs Special Relativity turns out to be also its demise. Most importantly absolute motion is now understood to be the cause of the various relativistic effects, in complete contradiction with the Einstein viewpoint, but in accord with the earlier proposal by Lorentz.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Japairman
Dr. Claude Swanson

A new book, The Synchronized Universe, reveals that the tapestry of modern science is showing a few tatters...There are many things modern science cannot explain, and yet they occur anyway. This includes phenomena in the "hard sciences" as well as in the paranormal. These effects are now being proven in the laboratory, even though they defy present scientific theory. These unfolding mysteries point the way to a new, deeper science, a science which no longer denies spirit and consciousness, but acknowledges and embraces them.

So what? there may have been things that science has not explained yet.

First of all, all the hard science facts (1 to 6) are things that science has not proven or disproven yet. But the basic principles, the standard model of physics, is so far correct, because it is applied in hundrends of appliances that you use in everyday life.

The other things you say (ESP, telekinesis, ghosts etc) are just figments of human imagination, and they have never been proved real by peer review in any scientific journal.

Your try to open the door to bogus science is right along the path of Intelligent Design supporters: you mention some hard science facts in the same context as some totally bogus things, trying to confuse the average person into believing that all the bogus stuff is real.

The hard reality is that the universe is a giant machine that obeys certain laws that can be described by mathematics. There is nothing unusual, hidden, metaphysical about it...

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
12 Things Science Can't Explain

I would say 13 things at least

NDE's = Near Death Exsperiences

I would classify this for that cause there are so many reasons why people have these that its not funny. Here are a few reasons.

1) This is a way for the brain to cope with a tramatic exp.

2) Its just something that happens.

3) Seeing God, Jesus, Buddha, or whoever.

4) Its demons. (Altho I dont really understand this one actually. Alot of people who have NDE's usually come out of it with a better outlook on life, and don't fear death.)

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Only 12 things? Wow, we're alot better than I thought we were...

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Quantum mechanics/physics can explain alot of the esoteric stuff like psi; but the Old school Newtonian guys are scared to death of the cutting edge stuff and refuse to even consider that their world may be a little "strange."

Fear no Physics!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Quantum mechanics/physics can explain alot of the esoteric stuff like psi; but the Old school Newtonian guys are scared to death of the cutting edge stuff and refuse to even consider that their world may be a little "strange."

Fear no Physics!!!

Uhm, I think the old school Newtonian people died off a while ago...and there are physics I do fear, even though I am a physicist myself...

I don't think anyone rejects quantum mechanics (maybe sub topics), as it is clearly applicable.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I agree that there is a lot that we don't understand. As a historian, I know that there have been several periods in history when an explosion of new theories, new technologies, and the overturning of accepted facts rocked the world. Just consider the advancements in computer technologies. The PDA many of us carry around to keep track of our to do's, phone numbers, and maintain our schedules are more advanced than the spacecraft that took man to the moon. All of this in 40 short years!

Neccesity is often the mother of innovation. With the shock that hit the US and other nations over the oil situation, I wouldn't be surprised if fuel cell technology makes tremendous advances.

The 'mystery sciences' - quantum physics and paranormal sciences - will see some incredible advances over the next decade or so. I believe we are reaching the critical mass needed to spark the next major advances; especially in the field of quantum mechanics. I haven't read the Synchronzed Universe yet, but I know what I will tackle my next break.

Thanks for an interesting new thread.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj

You also forgot to mention the following unexplainable things:

4) Ben Afflecks career.

SPiderj

LOL i read that and thought you meant that it had to do with #4 on the original list. Makes it even funnier if you ask me

Good read by the way

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by masterp

Originally posted by Japairman
Dr. Claude Swanson

So what? there may have been things that science has not explained yet.

First of all, all the hard science facts (1 to 6) are things that science has not proven or disproven yet. But the basic principles, the standard model of physics, is so far correct, because it is applied in hundrends of appliances that you use in everyday life.

The other things you say (ESP, telekinesis, ghosts etc) are just figments of human imagination, and they have never been proved real by peer review in any scientific journal.

Your try to open the door to bogus science is right along the path of Intelligent Design supporters: you mention some hard science facts in the same context as some totally bogus things, trying to confuse the average person into believing that all the bogus stuff is real.

The hard reality is that the universe is a giant machine that obeys certain laws that can be described by mathematics. There is nothing unusual, hidden, metaphysical about it...

Take a big look in the post above you! New Theory of graviti.

And you are talking(typing) as if I was the writter but that ain't so.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Everyone should recall that Japairman is presenting a website and some information, not advocating for it.

Dark Matter and the "law" of gravity are things that we wouldn't even know about without science. The rest of the stuff on that list no-one can explain. In particular, the paranormal/esp type stuff is stuff that no one has ever even demonstrated as occuring, so why would science even need to explain it?

Also, as far as 'why' 'we' are here, science doesn't attempt to explain the why of things. Science cannot, for example, answer the old metaphysical-philosophical question of 'why is there something, instead of nothing', ie why does existence exist, and the like. Science can't answer, why things happen, it can only explain how they work, which is something different.

Science can't answer us why man exists, but it can explain the mechanisms of evolution and natural selection through which man has come into existence.

Heck, one might argue that science expands man's ignorance, in a sense. Because whenever scientific investigations are conducted, the result is that some questions are answered, but many many more pop up!

Ben Afflecks career.

This is obviously a curse from god or something though.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I don't think Science should be so dismissive of some Paranormal phenomenon. I know you're looking at me like I'm crazy now but let me explain.

I've had personal experience with something that can be considered "Paranormal". It's called Therapudic Touch and I can tell you from direct experience that it works and works amazingly well too. There is no direct scientific evidance that it works but I cannot reconcile that with the fact that when I reluctantly agreed to this pain treatment that it worked so it was not the placebo effect as I was expecting NOTHING to happen. From what I understand that is not how that phenomenon works. The results were that I no longer needed Morphine for the pain which was a very very good thing as I had reacted to it very badly. I really hope we figure out how that works someday.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
I don't think Science should be so dismissive of some Paranormal phenomenon. ...

I've had personal experience with something that can be considered "Paranormal". It's called Therapudic Touch and I can tell you from direct experience that it works and works amazingly well too.

Me too, and Reiki and other things as well. Many healing techniques are documented as effective, like acupuncture - but without scientific explanation of the mechanics.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
profezie3m.altervista.org...

de PDF file:

www.zarqon.co.uk...

This is a wel documented and publiced( The Lancet 2001) scientific investigation to Near Dead Experience NDE

Conclusions

Quote:
62 (18%) patients reported some recollection of the time of clinical death (table 1).

Quote:
Several theories have been proposed to explain NDE. We did not show that psychological, neurophysiological, or physiological factors caused these experiences after cardiac arrest. Sabom22 mentions a young American woman who had complications during brain surgery for a cerebral aneurysm. The EEG of her cortex and brainstem had become totally flat. After the operation, which was eventually successful, this patient proved to have had a very deep NDE, including an out-of-body experience, with subsequently verified observations during the period of the flat EEG.

Quote:
With lack of evidence for any other theories for NDE, the thus far assumed, but never proven, concept that consciousness and memories are localised in the brain should be discussed. How could a clear consciousness outside one's body be experienced at the moment that the brain no longer functions during a period of clinical death with flat EEG?22 Also, in cardiac arrest the EEG usually becomes flat in most cases within about 10 s from onset of syncope.29,30 Furthermore, blind people have described veridical perception during out-of-body experiences at the time of this experience.31 NDE pushes at the limits of medical ideas about the range of human consciousness and the mind-brain relation.

Quote:
Research should be concentrated on the effort to explain scientifically the occurrence and content of NDE. Research should be focused on certain specific elements of NDE, such as out-of-body experiences and other verifiable aspects. Finally, the theory and background of transcendence should be included as a part of an explanatory framework for these experiences.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join