It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Killer Tornado Strikes Indiana and Kentucky

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Tornados in Indiana in....November?

Can anyone say Global Warming ? (I know 'president' Bush can't seem to get the words out...which is fairly typical with him...)

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Although I love the chance to blame global warming not sure this is that odd. I posted a link of dozens of storms in Oklahoma during December.

If you follow the link and look around you will see we also have had these storms during all winter months.

Tornadoes are not really particular, it is the super cell storm that spawns them and at least here we tend to get them all year long. Granted it is more likely April, May and June but we had several F3's in Dec and Jan.

We even have seen an F4 in January. Data below

www.srh.noaa.gov...

Now is the region strange? Yes somewhat out of the normal tornado alley but then again Mother Nature tends to find her own boundaries. Is global warming to blame? Not sure, maybe, possibly it has increased intensity of storms as in the hurricanes. Time will tell. If it is global warming why did we have such a mild season this year? Wouldn't the alley see an increase in storms and intensity all year?

That said let me not for a minute discount the horror these people faced. I love severe weather and find it very exciting. I have maps, etc to track storms in our area each year. I also have nightmares of an F3+ hitting in the middle of the night. Night time tornadoes are the worse kind and to have it hit when everyone is asleep, especially when the super cells develop after most people are in bed, well that is what my nightmares are made of.

[edit on 11/6/2005 by nativeokie]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
A tornado struck counties in Indiana and Kentucky last night, killing at least 11 people and injuring at least 160. The twister leveled several trailer parks and a horse farm, and it's feared there are more casualties. 27,000 homes are also without power and most hospitals and government buildings in the affected area are running on backup generators.

www.cnn.com
(CNN) -- An overnight tornado killed at least 11 people and injured 160 others in southwestern Indiana, officials said Sunday.

A dispatcher for the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office confirmed seven fatalities at a mobile home park and said officials were planning to activate the National Guard to assist with the disaster.
The National Weather Service had issued warnings for the area about 30 minutes before the tornado struck, but many people were asleep and were not aware of them.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These tornadoes were unexpected and struck in the middle of the night, a very bad combination. The pictures I've seen on TV are really bad, and the death toll will probably climb much higher. My thoughts and prayers are with the people affected by these horrible storms.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Overnight tornado kills in Indiana

[edit on 11/6/2005 by djohnsto77]

i hate when people die because of natural storms and or get injured.... but do your research... living in tornado alley im afraid of tornadoes but tornadoes happen naturaly more at night than in the daytime. when a tornado happens in TX no one cares. if it happens in another state its world news. one more thing that happened less than a year ago a guy in a van was loaded to the teeth with weapons and explosives at a walmart. he got in shoot out with cops killed 2 i think i know he killed 1 for sure. anyways it was on the radio and on news for about 5 minutes thats it. anyways back on subject ... all tornadoes are caused by warm air and cool air not mixing together and bla bla global warming if it does exist has nothing to do with it. alot of people have been complaining that global warming is going to cause more tornadoes and on record not one tornado has been reported this year here or the nearest 100 miles which is almost all of tornado alley.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by bigworm]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The Indiana and Kentucky offices of Homeland Security are involved because dissaster response is their job. The new initiated NIMS program allows easier coordination between states because not all dissasters respect state's bounds.

Can anyone say Global Warming ? (I know 'president' Bush can't seem to get the words out...which is fairly typical with him...)

Oh for the love of Pete!

[edit on 7-11-2005 by astrocreep]

[edit on 7-11-2005 by astrocreep]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NEOAMADEUS

Amazingly enough some of our deadliest outbreaks have happened in the winter months in Indiana. This isn't the first occurance since I moved back here in 1995. Indiana has experienced them every month of the year. So no... this is not global warming. This isn't even that rare. It was dumb luck this thing happened to hit a mobile home park.

Oh just a week or two ago I saw a story bragging about how light this year's tornado season was in Indiana. Guess they spoke too soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join