It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Killer Tornado Strikes Indiana and Kentucky

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
A tornado struck counties in Indiana and Kentucky last night, killing at least 11 people and injuring at least 160. The twister leveled several trailer parks and a horse farm, and it's feared there are more casualties. 27,000 homes are also without power and most hospitals and government buildings in the affected area are running on backup generators.

www.cnn.com
(CNN) -- An overnight tornado killed at least 11 people and injured 160 others in southwestern Indiana, officials said Sunday.

A dispatcher for the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office confirmed seven fatalities at a mobile home park and said officials were planning to activate the National Guard to assist with the disaster.
The National Weather Service had issued warnings for the area about 30 minutes before the tornado struck, but many people were asleep and were not aware of them.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These tornadoes were unexpected and struck in the middle of the night, a very bad combination. The pictures I've seen on TV are really bad, and the death toll will probably climb much higher. My thoughts and prayers are with the people affected by these horrible storms.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Overnight tornado kills in Indiana

[edit on 11/6/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I was in Evansville last week. My heart goes out to all the victims. Be
careful to my nephew, a Vanderburgh County Deputy sheriff.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
What I want to know is why Homeland Security commented on it.

"The tornado touched down near Henderson, Ky., and jumped the Ohio River into Indiana at around 2 a.m.
Indiana homeland security spokeswoman Pam Bright said 15 deaths had been confirmed in the state's southwest corner around Evansville."
news.yahoo.com...

I know I know....there is no such thing as controlling the weather and there are no conspiracies taking place. Also the website I'm posting is just a silly non-credible Geocities site

www.geocities.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by magnito_student
What I want to know is why Homeland Security commented on it.

FEMA is now part of the Department of Homeland Security, so they have natural disaster recovery responsibility.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Aren't tornadoes at night a somewhat rare thing?

I see that it occurred at 0200.
Seems that would be late enough that the heat thermaling off the ground would have been long gone.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

Seems that would be late enough that the heat thermaling off the ground would have been long gone.

unless.....

see my uncredible geocities link in the post above

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

it doesnt matter on the time of day, the date, the season, or anything else. if the ingrediants are right, its going to happen

once the supercells fire it doenst matter how much heat the ground is giving off. its all on atmosphric instability at that point, but i will check my Meterology 100 Book from college "ever and unusual weather" and get back to you guys

happend to me and my family several times over the years where we would have to take shelter from a tornado during the night. luckly the warning system has improved and even if you cant hear the sires theres a good chance your neighbor can call and wake you up.

i know if it happened here id call all my friends and tell them what was going on. hell im a storm chaser during the summer and i call and tell everyone before the # goes down and tell them that it might get rough today so watch it.

tornados are a wierd thing and every year were getting closer to better understanding them to where we can increase warning times so everyone can get to shelter.

btw, i have some sweet chase pics if anyone wants to see them

[edit on 11-6-2005 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
DJ, thanks for the post.

Our hearts go out to all the victims. This was unexpected, and so late at night that few had real warnings despite a 15 minute audible alert.

Its clear that tornados either love or hate trailer parks, as once again a trailer park was hit the hardest.

Here are a few (of many) images of the damage from the local news. You can see their full report including video of the damage here

Here is another video link. wfie.images.worldnow.com...

magnito Your geocities link is currently unavailable.

While temp is usually involved in tornadic activity, in this case it was not. It wad the 50-60 mph winds of a storm front pushing thru the entire region from Tenn. to Mich. which helped create the conditions for this tornado.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
[Removed to Keep Everyone on Topic]

[edit on 6-11-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
While I was looking more into the Indiana tornado, I noticed that I cannot find any reference to the Red Cross helping. I am sure that they are there, but I cant find any reference to them, even on their web site.

I think that is strange. Generally they are one of the first on the scene, and provide a lot of direct information from the scene.

I have found references to Homeland Security, and the National Guard being activated, but no mention of the Red Cross.

www.indystar.com.../20051106/NEWS01/511060524
Jane Jankowski of the governor's office said both FEMA and some members of the National Guard are being activated. Other state officials are either at the scene or will be there this afternoon. Indiana State Fire Marshal Roger Johnson was in Evansville this morning and he will be joined by Eric Dietz, director of the state's homeland security office, and Maj. Gen. Martin Umbarger of the Indiana National Guard, Jankowski said.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
My heart goes to the people in Indiana and Kentucky.

I also hope those that need help get that help soon.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Found one CNN reference to the Red Cross helping. I knew they had to be there, I just couldn't find anything on it.

edition.cnn.com...
A Red Cross spokeswoman, Tiffany Horn, said authorities were trying to evacuate the area and that the organization had been on the scene since shortly after the tornado struck.

[edit on 4/26/06 by makeitso]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Cold weather tornados are not so uncommon. Living in Tulsa we have had our share.

In 1975 we had four hit the city or the outskirts on Dec 5th. Two were F2 and two were F3. These were mid afternoon but several in Dec over the years were close to mid night or early morning.

The link shows the total tornados to hit our state in Dec. We are typically pretty cold by then but when conditions are right...

www.srh.noaa.gov...

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
makeitso

Well sometimes unpleasant things need to be said. The fact remains that when the SE Asian tsunami killed hundreds of thousands of people, there were white Christian terrorists all over the airways and print outlets claiming that it was God's will, and besides, all those tourists were probably just swedish gays and heathen muslims.

This is the sort of rhetoric we're used to from the other side, but they fall completely silent when natural disasters smack their own home states.

Why?

Because their twisted freakin' logic no longer applies.

I think it's a point that needs to be made, every time something like this happens.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
This is the sort of rhetoric we're used to from the other side, but they fall completely silent when natural disasters smack their own home states.

Why?

Because their twisted freakin' logic no longer applies.

I think it's a point that needs to be made, every time something like this happens.

What is this crap? I am from one of these states and have never said any of the garbage that you are saying.

This isn't the time or place for this kind of spouting. Sad, that is the only word that comes to mind.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Funny, I didn't see any reference to religion in the initial post. Why don't we keep to the topic?

M'kay?

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Looks like at least 21 are confirmed dead now:

EVANSVILLE, Ind. Nov 6, 2005 — A tornado tore across western Kentucky and Indiana early Sunday, killing at least 21 people as it cut through a mobile home park and obliterated trailers and houses as residents slept.

ABC News

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
CNN has it at least 22 dead and 230 injured. They are saying it was at least an F3 tornado. Problem with hitting a trailer park is that its hard to tell the difference between an F3 and F4. Is there anything else showing damage to solid structures? I've seen the damage an F3 can do. We had one hit about 2 miles south of here a few years back.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

By Indy
Is there anything else showing damage to solid structures?

I was hoping you would post Indy. Maybe you can help determine if it is an F3 or not. The debris field is reported to be 1/2 mile wide.

You can find dozens of images at this local news archive

Notable non-trailer images which could help make the determination are:

I was hoping you could find some data from the weather center for us.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
My link is currently down due to it being a free account and not enough bandwidth to accomodate.

The theme of the site at www.geocities.com...
is the control of weather and its reality backed by credible Senate and House Legislation, comments from William Cohen and several other military sources, and science journals. Re: "Owning the Weather and controlling it"

What I find interesting is we have another coincidental anomaly happening just as we did with Hurricane Katrina. If you remember Katrina happened just before the release of the tv series "Invasion" where a hurricane hits a town and strange lights in the sky etc(aliens) invade. Now with this incident of tornadoes 1 day before we have a movie coming out tonight at 8pm CST on the major networks titled : "Category 7, The End of the World"

I cant understand how people can just shy away and call weather control, conspiracies, and so many anomalies rediculous, so many repetitive coincidences and explain them away with silly logic like some did with the perfect implosions of the WTC towers 1,2 and 7. Face it, there is some kind of conditioning taking place, whether you believe it or not doesn't make it not true.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join