It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allergy to Metals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I have 4 or 5 necklaces that I used to wear all the time, one day i was wearing one and by the end of the day i had a rash, so i took it off and washed it thouroughly and then once the rash went away i wore it again; it was fine for several days but then the rash started to come back. I used to wear all of these and have no problem but now all of them have the same effect. Anyone know if i developed an allergy to certain metals/silvers or what?

They are all a silver, i dont know if its silver paint or silver coat or what.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
you may very well have an allergy. best thing would be is to get it checked out.

i had a similar instance a couple of years during my school days in which i had to get a gold ring cut off by a teacher because my finger started to sell up for no reason.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yes it sounds like you have whats called a nickel allergy.

The only thing I can wear is Gold and that is because it is inert. My wedding ring and engagement set has stainless claws and if they touch my skin it burns off.

My neck at the back where necklaces clasp is always one massive rash and burn mark when I wear cheap chains even silver.

The symptoms are an incredible burning itch. It starts off with tiny red dots in an area that itch and are raised to touch, like along the neckline where the necklace sat. It gets worse at times, my body is that sensitive now that it burns the skin off straight away

My daughter and I both get marks on our tummies even where we have the studs of our jeans done up.

The rash will come back with use, it burns deep into the skin.

One answer I have got for wearing that jewelry that you love is to coat it with clear nail varnish. This works for a period of time until it rubs off. I often do this to the underneath of my watchface because I get a round circle of burnt skin there. I wear a leather band but even the buckles tears me skin off.

Earrings are bad for me except gold once again, they get all infected like and brun from wearing other metals. Even sugical steel I can't wear, only 18K gold... I can wear 9k gold but ..hmm well you know, I do prefer 18k

I cannot wear 14k (gold plated) as after a time the plating comes off.

it won't get much better though, if it has started it will only get worse. My advice is to wear such jewelry in small lots and then clean the skin thoroughly.

Do you have allergy to cats or aniamls or any other environmental allergies.. and don't worry too much it medically, it means you have a strong immune system, just a tad overactive....

[edit on 13-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
It starts off with tiny red dots in an area that itch and are raised to touch, like along the neckline where the necklace sat.

Yes, thats exactly what happened to me.

One answer I have got for wearing that jewelry that you love is to coat it with clear nail varnish. This works for a period of time until it rubs off. I often do this to the underneath of my watchface because I get a round circle of burnt skin there.

Yes my dad does that but i never knew it was an allergy, perhaps its genetics?

Earrings are bad for me except gold once again, they get all infected like and brun from wearing other metals. Even sugical steel I can't wear, only 18K gold... I can wear 9k gold but ..hmm well you know, I do prefer 18k

I got my first earring a few months ago and it wasw silver and it was fine but eventually the silver came off and it was a brownish color and my ear got infected, could this have anythign to do with the allergy?

Do you have allergy to cats or aniamls or any other environmental allergies.

My father has an allergy to cats and i have a small allergy to long haired cats but not much. I do have pollen allergies and my father also has bee sting allergies. Ive never been stung by a bee s i dont know if i have that or not.

Thanks much for the information!

edit: Even after the rash has gone away, like right now, i still have a few raised bumps of the skin there but no discoloration.

[edit on 11/14/2005 by syberwolff]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I have an alergy to glam metal and nu-metal and cross over metal!!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
even easier than the nail polish trick (which works btw) is to spray paint the piece with a clear sealant (just make sure not to skip any part of it- try hanging it vertically so you can get all around it evenly). there are little plastic 'ear protectors' that can fit in your earring holes, the earring back then slips through it and keeps the metal from contacting the skin...

i asked a friend of mine that makes jewelry, he said that most silvers are electro-plated with nickel and then rhodium to keep it from scratching and tarnishing easily... unfortunately many people have allergic reactions to them. the best thing to do is go 'higher end'... pure gold or silver (just speak with the jeweler about whether any of it is plated, or 'lower end'- there's great selections of beads, wood, seed, braided twine, plastic, etc.

i found that after working with some not so safe chemicals doing art projects, that my skin sensitivity was terribly heightened- and i developed new allergies- metals that might not have given me problems before, DID... i've seen jewelry fastened together with lead solder (no kiddin'!) just because it's fashioned for wear doesn't mean it's safe to rest against the skin! so just learn to work around it, once your body has become hypersensitive to whatever substance is causing the rashes, the best thing is to listen to what your body is telling you and avoid contact.

~amithyzt

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by syberwolff
Yes my dad does that but i never knew it was an allergy, perhaps its genetics?

Sounding more and more like you got allergies from your da' . My kids have got it from me, well some of them anyhows, three of my girls and one of my boys, the others take after their father. It is hereditary. You do have to watch your immune system for other issues. does your dad have any other medical problems. Allergies to cats and nickel allergies often go hand in hand for some reason, not always but many times.

I got my first earring a few months ago and it wasw silver and it was fine but eventually the silver came off and it was a brownish color and my ear got infected, could this have anythign to do with the allergy?

most definately. Try gold only or as amithyzt suggested try top quality silver. Takes my tribe two days to get infected ears from earrings.

My father has an allergy to cats and i have a small allergy to long haired cats but not much. I do have pollen allergies and my father also has bee sting allergies. Ive never been stung by a bee s i dont know if i have that or not.

Seeing as it seems you do have a few allergies a good idea would be to go and get an allergy scratch test. They are good for finding out exactly what you are allergic to so you can avoid them.

edit: Even after the rash has gone away, like right now, i still have a few raised bumps of the skin there but no discoloration.

yes it can last an awful long time and burn and itch long after the culprit has been removed. The trouble is too, the next time you wear it the faster it will occur.

I am going to post a pic I took of Eye of Ra last night. Just have to download it and upload it She wore one of my new cheap silver necklaces to work and now she has it all over above her boobies. I'm not happy, I really liked the necklaces as like casual jewels and I bought six sets in all different colours.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Krissys neck after two days of wearing the green necklace in following picture

The culprits

My gold rings and earrings. I can wear these, except where the emeralds are held in place with stainless.

The gold watch is not pure gold, takes one day for arm to get allergy.
Leather watch is my wear around watch, bothers me under face and buckle
the silver earrings are a nono
the shell bracelet is fine no clasp, elastic chain.
the shell necklaces are fine except the clasps which give me allergy.

top topics

join