It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cuba Is Open For Business

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Cuba will buy approx $US500 million dollars of foodstuffs off the USA this coming year and $270 million dollars of contracts were signed at a trade fair which ended last night. New restrictions placed by George Bush ensuring Cuba pay up front for the food stopped that figure being much higher according to Cuban Pedro Alvarez who is head of the Alimport entity. Cuba is under a trade embargo placed on them by the USA with food stuffs and medicine being exempt.

www.news.com.au
"What we sign today is insignificant compared to what we could sign if trade restrictions did no exist," he said.

The fair was attended by 188 US companies with 370 executives from 31 US states, according to organisers.

Among the deals that were signed, Cuba agreed to buy $US20 million worth of food, including 30,000 tonnes of peas, from the state of North Dakota. It also signed a US 27 million food deal with Nebraska and $US 20 million contract with Virginia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

30 000 tons of peas were included in the deal. I know Cuba is small but I thought it would be able to grow peas.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
double post, sorry.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   

New restrictions placed by George Bush ensuring Cuba pay up front for the food stopped that figure being much higher according to Cuban Pedro Alvarez who is head of the Alimport entity. Cuba is under a trade embargo placed on them by the USA with food stuffs and medicine being exempt.

I wouldn't be surprised if our buddy Chavez steps in and donates the food to Cuba, thus embarassing the US once again.

Or maybe the don't have 30,000 tons of peas. Those Cubans must love their peas.

Remember the rice cookers? Castro gave one to each family amid much fanfare last year, what a great guy!

Turns out he didn't give them a rice cooker, just a discount on the price.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Why do we even have an embargo onn cuba?
because they are comunists?
Bull, we trade with china (Walmart)

I say open the doors and let the trade begin!
so they got a dictator in power thats been there for 40 something years, who cares, they are getting along just fine.

Did you know you can't even goto cuba without going to another country first?
And we all thought this was a "free" country.
Bahh, we're about as free as the guys from 1984.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Where's Muaddib? His family is from Cuba (some family may still be there) and he knows what the real deal is over there.

I do know that tensions rose quite high when Cuba was willing to base Soviet nukes on their land, in the early 1960's.

But - you can get there, right?

Did you know that Cuban citizens can't leave Cuba without permission? There are always 20 refugees hanging onto a tire tube in the news, being picked out of the ocean from people trying to escape Castro.

Now who's the free country?

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am also from Cuba, in fact i suspect Muaddib of being my cousin who is very pro-Bush

I think years ago ( i may be wrong) the embargo was done because of the Communism and it stuck throughout the years with the hopes that Castro would fall. Unfortunately, people who live there now are used to the rations, extremely old transportation, brainwashing sessions and Anti American sentiments, and its just their way of life. Its the ones that fled the island, in my case, i was 3 years old, the families that were prosperous in Cuba, who had everything taken away when el presidente loco took over that KNEW the good life. I'm very grateful that my parents had the good sense to leave, AND come to this wonderful country we have.
The fact i am not a Bush admirer in no way means that i do not love this country.

Anyway, i think its time to lift the embargo and let people experience the wide variety of foods that we experience here. Castro isnt going anyplace.

As far as peas? hmmmm...My family were direct decendants from Spain, i dont recall ever having tons of peas...thats puzzling, although its the right topping for Arroz Con Pollo. yummmm

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
30 000 tons of peas were included in the deal. I know Cuba is small but I thought it would be able to grow peas.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by Mayet]

In Cuba there are a lot of harvests, but the thing is that those harvests, and pretty much everything that is produced in Cuba, is supposed to go to other "revolutionary" countries while the Cuban people starve and suffer.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones

Not only because the "government" of Cuba is Communist, but because the communist regime must be held in check. castro, even with the embargo, is able to use the resources he is able to gather from Cuba and Cubans, and sells them to other "revolutionary" countries to help what he calls the "revolutionary cause."

Bull, we trade with china (Walmart)

There is an arms embargo in China, many countries now want to stop that embargo too but the US and some other countries still want this embargo to stay in place, as it should.

I say open the doors and let the trade begin!
so they got a dictator in power thats been there for 40 something years, who cares, they are getting along just fine.

Yeah the Communist regime is getting along fine still trying to fight against Capitalism, and the US, any way it can. You can't just have open trades with the Cuban government with the regime that is over there now. If we did we would have to deal with another crazy Kim...but worse.

What in the world are you talking about?.... I went to visit my family in Cuba in 2001 and I didn't have to go to any third world country to do that.... The people that can't leave are the Cubans....you got it backwards buddy.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Where's Muaddib? His family is from Cuba (some family may still be there) and he knows what the real deal is over there.

Yeah half my family is from Cuba, the other half from Spain.

I do know that tensions rose quite high when Cuba was willing to base Soviet nukes on their land, in the early 1960's.

If the Cuban government didn't have an embargo you can bet that castro would have at least tried a couple of times to get nukes in there again and point them at the US.

But - you can get there, right?

He got that wrong jsobecky. Americans can go to Cuba without having to go throught a third world country, I did in 2001. Cubans are the ones that can't travel to other countries. Those who do travel to other countries, like soccer teams and such travel with castro's thugs who make sure these people don't try to run to an American embassy the first chance they get.

Throughout the years there have been times when some Cubans who were going to other countries to play in the olympics and other games have been able to escape from these thugs and asked for assylum in whichever country they were. Now it is a lot harder to do that. castro is making sure Cubans don't have that option anymore. Now Cubans still try to leave the Communist regime in homemade boats, which is a shame because most of them die at sea before reaching the US.

Did you know that Cuban citizens can't leave Cuba without permission? There are always 20 refugees hanging onto a tire tube in the news, being picked out of the ocean from people trying to escape Castro.

Now who's the free country?

Cubans citizens can't leave at all with the exception of really old people, and they have to ask permission. My grandma is able to come once in a while to the states, but she always goes back because she says she will go back to Cuba until all our family is in the US. She doesn't want to leave them alone.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well I am glad that something is done for the Cuban people, after all just because they have a lousy government is not excuse to forget the people that still live in the Island.

Many has been very courageous and has been able to leave the Island for better life somewhere else including my own PR Island but also we have many poor souls that has die trying to get away from the hardships in Cuba.

At least their future is getting brighter now and soon onces Fidel dies I hope that they will not allow another dictator to take his place.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I have looked into travelling to Cuba before and I was told I'd have to go through Mexico to get there. I'm Canadian, so I qualify for travel to Cuba, but most Americans do not:

Canada offers you the easiest and safest way to reach Cuba!

Canadians were the first to reopen the Cuban tourist industry in the early 1970s. Canada has a strong tradition of promoting tourism in Cuba. We would like to share our experience with you.

Check this out:

U.S. Department of the Treasury - Office of Foreign Assets Control

Cuba: What You Need To Know About The U.S. Embargo
Only persons whose travel falls into the categories discussed below are authorized to spend money related to travel to, from, or within Cuba. Persons licensed to engage in travel-related transactions in Cuba may spend up to the State Department Travel Per Diem Allowance for Havana, Cuba (currently $183 per day) for purchases directly related to travel in Cuba, such as hotel
accommodations, meals, local transportation, and goods personally used by the traveler in Cuba

Official Government Travelers
Persons regularly employed as journalists, persons regularly employed as supporting broadcast
or technical personnel
Persons who are traveling to visit close relatives in Cuba in circumstances
of humanitarian need
Full-time professionals whose travel transactions are directly related to
professional research
Full-time professionals whose travel transactions are directly related to
attendance at professional meetings or conferences
Amateur or semi-professional athletes or teams
Undergraduate or graduate students participating in a structured
educational program as part of a course offered at a licensed college or
university
Persons doing noncommercial Cuba-related academic research in
Cuba for the purpose of qualifying academically as a professional
Undergraduate or graduate students participating in a formal course of
study at a Cuban academic institution
Persons regularly employed in a teaching capacity at a licensed college or university
Cuban scholars teaching or engaging in other scholarly activities at a
licensed college or university in the United States

Humanitarian Travel - (1) persons, and persons traveling with them who
share a common dwelling with them, traveling to Cuba more than once in a twelve-month period to visit close relatives in cases involving humanitarian need;

In any case, for an American citizen to visit Cuba, they require a license.

Zip

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Becuase they invited the Soviet Union to place nuclear missiles aimed at the US in their country.

And because Castro and his group have sought to spread communism throughout South America and Africa

Did you know that you can't leave cuba, at all? Nor own private property?

Bahh, we're about as free as the guys from 1984

Americans's are a hell of a lot more free than cubans. When was the last time you saw people riding rafts to cuba, btw? Castro is an actual dictator-for-life, bush is just some guy who was elected to two four year terms.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I am also from Cuba, in fact i suspect Muaddib of being my cousin who is very pro-Bush

dg, if we were cousins I would find you, and when I find you I would put you in my lap and whoop your behind just for being a liberal.

I think years ago ( i may be wrong) the embargo was done because of the Communism and it stuck throughout the years with the hopes that Castro would fall.
Is not only because the government in Cuba is Communist that this has been done. If there had never been an embargo in Cuba we would have to deal with another crazy kim, but worse.

Unfortunately, people who live there now are used to the rations, extremely old transportation, brainwashing sessions and Anti American sentiments, and its just their way of life.

People in Cuba are not really used to the system dg, I still talk to my cousins, other family members and friends and I have to convince them not to get into one of those home made boats to try to get to the US, because they can get lost and die easily. Most Cubans that try to leave the island die than those who make it to the US or other countries. The only people I have seen that are somewhat used to the system in Cuba are some of the old folk. They are too old to go anywhere else and start a new life.

But you are right, there is still brainwashing going on over there ever since childhood. Most people realize the lies that they have been fed, and are being fed, by the "Communists/revolutionaries" but there isn't a lot they can do about it because of the control that the Communist regime has over the people.

Its the ones that fled the island, in my case, i was 3 years old, the families that were prosperous in Cuba, who had everything taken away when el presidente loco took over that KNEW the good life. I'm very grateful that my parents had the good sense to leave, AND come to this wonderful country we have.

You left Cuba very young, you probably don't remember much. I forgive you being for being a liberal.

The fact i am not a Bush admirer in no way means that i do not love this country.

But you are a liberal...... A CUBAN THAT IS A LIBERAL!!!!!!!!......

I guess you can't remember much about the Communist regime since you left when you were younger than me. For me liberalism is way too close to Communism, quite a few of their doctrines are the same. They sound good but all they do at the end is oppress the people.

Anyway, i think its time to lift the embargo and let people experience the wide variety of foods that we experience here. Castro isnt going anyplace.

dg, like i was saying, perhaps you don't remember but ask Cubans that have been there for a while and you will understand that there is more than enough food being harvested in Cuba. The problem is that castro sells that food to other "revolutionary countries" for the communist cause.

I have read and heard some people, mainly those who have never experience or have any first hand knowledge of what happens in these regimes, that education and healthcare is free in Communist countries.

Well, the thing is that children since they turn 10 years old and until you graduate as an adult, have to work in summer camps in Cuba. Thatis manual labor harvesting all the food the Cuban people "can't eat". These children, and adults, are supervised by Communist thugs so that they don't eat, or hide, any of that food for themselves or their families.

As far as peas? hmmmm...My family were direct decendants from Spain,

Pretty much most Cubans are descendants from Spain.
On my mother side, my great great grandfather and my great great grandmother were from Spain. They like many other Spaniards left Spain because of the civil war there. On my father side my family is from Canary Island, but we also have some chinese blood and Taiwanese blood in our family. Some of our relatives are black as well.

There were/are chinese and other nationalities who also went to live to Cuba before the revolution. So you will find different nationalities there, but mostly white and black people.

i dont recall ever having tons of peas...thats puzzling, although its the right topping for Arroz Con Pollo. yummmm

I don't think they grow peas in Cuba, I could be wrong, but you are right, they are good with Arroz con Pollo.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
I have looked into travelling to Cuba before and I was told I'd have to go through Mexico to get there. I'm Canadian, so I qualify for travel to Cuba, but most Americans do not:

Check this out:

In any case, for an American citizen to visit Cuba, they require a license.

Zip

None of that means that American citizens or Canadian citizens are not free. You have to remember with freedom comes responsibilities. Many people nowadays think freedom=anarchy, but it does not.

I am an American citizen, but in Cuba i am still seen as a "Cuban citizen" I have to use a Cuban passport to visit there. They allow those who have dual citizenship to leave, because they are not full Cuban citizens, but that's it.

I only visited once, that was enough for me to see the decadence and suffering Cubans, including my family, are going through.

I can tell you that you, and most people posting in these forums, have a lot more freedoms than any Cuban citizen living in the island under the Communist regime.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Muaddib, you are funny
I still suspect you...Does a family name beginning with GOI mean anything to you? If it does,
you are kin.

In any case, i agree with everything you said. The fact that i am liberal, well, what can i say. I chose that dark path for myself years ago.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Mauddib, oh, yeah, I wasn't making any such comment on "freedom," that was the other guy. I was just trying to straighten out and clarify the actual process for Americans interested in visiting Cuba.

Zip

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Muaddib, you are funny
I still suspect you...Does a family name beginning with GOI mean anything to you? If it does,
you are kin.

Dunno, I would have to ask my parents, maybe we are relatives after all.

Humm....where is it that you live at dg? Maybe I'll go visit you sometime so I can spank ya a bit.

In any case, i agree with everything you said. The fact that i am liberal, well, what can i say. I chose that dark path for myself years ago.

Yeah, the dark force is very strong, and if we are not careful we can fall to it. You succumbed to the dark side dg.

You know i still love you dg, even if you are a LIBERAL!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
Mauddib, oh, yeah, I wasn't making any such comment on "freedom," that was the other guy. I was just trying to straighten out and clarify the actual process for Americans interested in visiting Cuba.

Zip

Oh my bad....

I confused you with the other member. i apologize for that Zipdot.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Awww, thank you, Muaddib, you are nice. I live in Cape Cod Massachusetts but most of my family is in Miami, of course.

I love discipline.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by dgtempe]

top topics

join