It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Riots Spread Beyond France?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'm kind of surprised that these Islamic riots haven't already spread to some non-French European cities, since they've already pretty much spread throughout France...do you think they will end up spreading?

I'm thinking if the French end up needing to bring their military in to crush them harshly, they certainly will.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
There is another thread for this subject, but I coudn't find it to give you the link but if you do find it, another member posted some information about it happening somewhere in Denmark, they had riots for the past few nights but it hasn't been covered much, interesting comments from a Palestinian refuge though, regarding how he and his followers apparently seem to "own the area " now. Also if you find the thread there is an article posted regarding violence that has been going on the same area of France for quite some time. Pretty disturbing article.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
viking-observer.blogspot.com...

the right question, next would be 'why hide it'...

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
No, this is a national issue, no some sort of Muslim conspiracy.

The rioters in France had a set of legitimate grievances, which they have now thrown out the window in these ridiculous squabbles.

The only way I can imagine this spreading would be through other European nations troops being used should the French army be defeated by the rioters.

England has seen no more rioting since some small protests last week despite the efforts of Nazi's to cause more trouble, this wont spread.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
The only way I can imagine this spreading would be through other European nations troops being used should the French army be defeated by the rioters.

I'm waiting for someone to make sarcastic remarks on this based on French military performance in many modern wars...

I think if it comes to this though, would the US send troops to help? And would France accept the assisstance?

I think that if it does come to this then it might seem like there really is a "crusade" against Islam....

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   

No, this is a national issue, no some sort of Muslim conspiracy.

dissenters will be SHOT

www.freerepublic.com...

www.freerepublic.com...

*ducks for cover*

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It has now spread into other areas of France.
Germany and Belgium have both had cars set on fire.

CNN

Apparent copycat attacks spread outside France for the first time, with five cars torched outside Brussels' main train station, police in the Belgian capital told The Associated Press.

Five cars were also set on fire overnight in a working-class district of Berlin, and police said Monday they were looking into whether those responsible were inspired by violence in neighboring France. (Full story)

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
A car was set on fire near my house. It was also in a Muslim area. Does that mean the riots have spread here too?

Or is it just nonsense, blowing a regular event out of all proportion.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned this 'Muslim' line is just a deeply wrong and diversionary one - ultimately, IMO, to promote purely racist ends.

For instance, who is aware that the British bombers of 7/7 had had serious rows with and fallen out with the religious leaders at the Mosque where they used to meet?
They were not actually indoctrinated by 'Islamic fundamentalists' at all.

The riots on the continent are purely about the conditions many immigrants find themselves in.
People who feel excluded and who live in those conditions often lash out (even in America and even in the past, from time to time.....the USA has a long and very colourful history of riots).

It is nothing to do with radical Islam and everything to do with exclusion, brutalisation and violence.
If you do exclude, brutalise or treat people with violence don't be so surprised if the reaction is a bad one (like it's anything new
); see Northern Ireland.....not a 'radical Muslim' in sight.

The phenomenon of it 'spreading' is nothing less than 'group behaviour' writ large, there are a hell of a lot of immigrants feeling badly done to (often with a lot of justification too).

That doesn't mean what they are doing is ok, but it at least means people can sit down, talk sensibly and work out how to start putting things right instead of heading up the ridiculous, futile and utterly pointless dead-end that those who spread the message of the racists would rather.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

A car was set on fire near my house. It was also in a Muslim area. Does that mean the riots have spread here too?

So it's a regular event for muslims to set fire to cars?
Why are they doing it and what are the police doing to punish those people?

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Nope, its a regular occurance to have chavs (unemployed scum) steal cars and burn them out however. And there isnt alot the police can do to catch them unfortuantly, by the time the car is reported missing its already ablaze and the fire destroys any forensic evidence.

[edit on 7-11-2005 by Uncle Joe]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

let's hope you're right

by AceOfBase
It has now spread into other areas of France.
Germany and Belgium have both had cars set on fire.

my saviour, a link, a credible link, thx. i'm not a liar *sigh of relief*

So it's a regular event for muslims to set fire to cars?
Why are they doing it and what are the police doing to punish those people?

nah, you're just being intolerant, aren't you?

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Local Islamic leaders in France have issued a Fatwa against the rioters. This action could have terrible repercussions, what if the riots don't stop. What does it mean if the riots don't stop. Whether these riots are inspired by Islam or not if these young men are no longer respecting the word of their religious authorities. This would leave a power vacuum in these areas. And if that is the situation you can bet Al Queda is going to try to jump all over this.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6
Local Islamic leaders in France have issued a Fatwa against the rioters.

- Interesting find Dan.

I wonder if 'the usual suspects' will now start applauding the visible stand the Muslim religious leaders are now taking?

you can bet Al Queda is going to try to jump all over this.

- I doubt if 'al Queda' is new to attempting to capitalise on the disaffection felt by some young Muslim men in Europe.

(if you didn't see it I totally recommend the BBC Horizon program about the 7/7 bombers.
There's a part where they discuss the classic 'caught between 2 societies' alienation 2nd and 3rd generations can feel, it is most interesting and more than a few stereotypical myths are punctured by the various world's experts they interview.

I put a bit torrent link up in the UK politics section.
Thought-provoking stuff to say the least.)

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This French site is saying the fatwa they have issued is one that is condemned.
Perhaps someone that can speak French well can give this article a better look as the translation leaves a lot to be desired.

france-echos.com

One will find the Fatwa complete on the page oumma.com... ?id_article=1759 of the Oumma.com site, which condemns the principle of this call. Note : it is the fact of now appealing this which is condemned, not the call itself. The call itself is relayed ! One wonders well why thus Moslems relay a call which it condemn. Hé well it is because in fact... they do not condemn it at all and only try to make it believe in the gogos.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well it looks like the rioters are tiring out and going home(or maybe they just ran out of cars to torch). Anyways it seems to me that there is not going to be a pan-european Islamic revolution. The curfews put into force are being credited with the turn around. And the French are not stopping there. Nicolas Sarkozy is demanding that the rioters who don't have French citizenship be deported immediately. I have to wonder whether this will improve the situation in the long run(in the short run certainly)but the French will have to do something to help the people they can't just throw out.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
well, i had a look at the france-echos site, and i would say that it is a pretty much extreme-right site, so i don't expect anything real objectif from it...

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Greek anarchists back French rioters, vandalize French targets in Greece:

The French Institute in central Athens was vandalized yesterday morning by a group of youths who smashed windows and hurled paint at the building’s facade. The youths were expressing solidarity with French rioters. The slogan on the wall reads: ‘Sow armies, reap civil war.’ The attack came just a few hours after a similar incident in Thessaloniki and stirred fears of further copycat attacks.

In the wake of two attacks in 24 hours on French targets in Athens and Thessaloniki, police have been put on standby amid fears that youths expressing solidarity with rioters in France could try to cause trouble ahead of Thursday’s anniversary of a 1973 student uprising.

The measures were prompted by yesterday morning’s attack on the French Institute in central Athens in which about 50 hooded youths hurled paint at the building’s facade, smashed windows and spray-painted anarchist slogans. The attack followed a similar incident outside the French Institute in Thessaloniki on Thursday night, when around 40 anarchists, holding banners expressing their support for rioting youths in France, vandalized the entrance to the building. The youths eluded arrest.

Full Story: Kathimerini English Online

I guess you can add Greece to the list! These are sympathetic anarchists though, not Muslims.

[edit on 11/12/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The Lower house of the French Parliament voted to extend the emergency powers sought by the government for three months.

news.bbc.co.uk...

This sounds like the french are really getting pissed here even though the violence is apparently dying down. I think if the French clamp down to hard it could seriously backfire. I mean maybe the rioters deserve to get their collective a$$ kicked but couldn't this backfire into a Belfast like situation I mean you have millions of these people and even if only a small segment of that population turns extremist it could pose real problems for not only France but also the other parts of europe were this kind of disenfranchisement is a problem.

new topics

top topics

join