It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Notice - Human To Human Bird Flu Case In Indonesia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
In a probable case of human to human transmission of Bird Flu, the nurse of a patient who died of Bird Flu has been admitted to hosptial showing signs of high fever and coughing. Her patient at Insani hospital near Tanggerrang 19 year old Ina Solati died of the illness last week and Solati's daughter and two nephews have been admitted to hospital showing the same symptoms.

www.news.com.au

"Ina Solati's nurse at the Insani hospital was admitted close to midnight on November 3. She was suffering from high fever and coughing," said Suliati Saroso hospital spokesman Ilham Patu.

Solati, 19, died in hospital in nearby Tanggerang on October 28 of suspected bird flu. Tests are currently being conducted at World Health Organisation facilities in Hong Kong to determine if she was carrying the virus, Patu said.

At least four people have died of avian influenza in Indonesia and three others have been confirmed as infected but have either recovered or are still being treated.

Solati's daughter and two nephews were also admitted to Sulianti Saroso hospital on Tuesday showing the same symptoms.

But Saroso said that the condition of the three young children -- aged between five months and eight years -- have since improved although he declined to give details on their health's conditions.

He said that tests on blood and throat swaps taken from the three children have showed negative results and that they appeared not to have contracted the highly pathogenic H5N1 strain of avian influenza.

"But we cannot yet say whether they are infected or not until the results of the tests in Hong Kong," Patu said, adding that for the first time samples from the patients had been sent simultaneously to the health ministry's research laboratory and to the World Health Organisation testing facilities in Hong Kong.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I really hope they catch this one very qquickly. How many people did she come in contact with before she went to hospital.

The one thing i have noticed with people who seem more llikely to have caught it from a person in close contact, is that the test results seem to cme back negative at first. I do wonder if that is because the disease they are carrying is mutated and unable to show on first line testing.

Update

It has now been confirmed that Ina Solati did in fact die of Bird Flu.
www.news.com.au...

[edit on 5-11-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 7-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I don't mean to sound callus but if the bid flu doesn't become a pandemic and kill millions, something else will and chances are it will be much uglier and more lethal. Plagues are one of nature's ways of keeping populations in check and it doesn't matter the animal. Just imagine if Ebola jumped and became airborne transmittable, human to human, or AIDS jumped from being a sexually transmitted disease to an airborne one. Do I want any of them? No I do not but given the options...........

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yes i fully understand that too, but this case could be the index as who knows how many people the nurse came into contact with. It bears close watching no matter what theory you subscribe to.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

He said that tests on blood and throat swaps taken from the three children have showed negative results and that they appeared not to have contracted the highly pathogenic H5N1 strain of avian influenza.

Considering the above it looks like this may not be h5n1

[edit on 11/5/2005 by shots]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Shots,

later updates showed otherwise for the index patient. its most likely that it is H5N1. It is most likely the same for the children and nurse.

Thats what I was saying before in my comment about the first negative tests. i have noticed a pattern of negative tests on "associated cases' cases that could have caught the disease from possible human to human transmission. I think and I am not expert but seeing as the WHO was asking for better first line test kits to be created and made available this week, that the first line tests cannot "see" the mutated version or resistent strains.

www.news.com.au...
INDONESIA today confirmed its fifth death from bird flu after tests by the World Health Organisation (WHO), a hospital spokesman said.
Ilham Patu, a spokesman for the Sulianti Saroso hospital for infectious diseases, confirmed the death as well as another case about which he could not reveal any details.
Both were confirmed by the WHO, Patu said.
"There are two more cases confirmed following results of tests by the WHO in Hong Kong," Patu said.
He said one of the two new confirmed cases was a woman, who died at a hospital in suburban Tanggerang on October 28.
The woman has been identified as Ina Solati, 19, a mother of one.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I love the way they leave out the fact thaat 3 of the five worked with birds on poultry farms. Nowhere does it confirm human to human transfer has taken place at this time.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
instead of giving food birds (chickens and so forth) vacceines(sp) why not just kill off and burn the chickens? that would stop it. you just burn them all until the virus is gone. or will PETA jump all of over me for sugesting that?

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I love the way they leave out the fact thaat 3 of the five worked with birds on poultry farms. Nowhere does it confirm human to human transfer has taken place at this time.

"Ina Solati's nurse at the Insani hospital was admitted close to midnight on November 3. She was suffering from high fever and coughing," said Suliati Saroso hospital spokesman Ilham Patu

He said one of the two new confirmed cases was a woman, who died at a hospital in suburban Tanggerang on October 28.
The woman has been identified as Ina Solati, 19, a mother of one.

Shots, I love the use of your thumbs, its adorable, if not repetitious...... really instead of complaining about everything everyone else writes about on here, go on grab a scoop, post it yourself, your way, then you won't have to moan so much about the way others post their news.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
instead of giving food birds (chickens and so forth) vacceines(sp) why not just kill off and burn the chickens? that would stop it. you just burn them all until the virus is gone. or will PETA jump all of over me for sugesting that?

Some countries have used culls in the past to kill off the birds, however you have to keep in mind we are dealing with 3rd world countries mostly and just about every home has chickens for human consumption that could contain the virus.

That being the case I doubt many of the truly poor would want to kill them because they do not have the money it takes to replace them, nor funds to use vaccine on the birds.

They also do not take the precautions that a normal commercial poultry farm would take by using masks and disinfectants on everything that might come in contact with the chickens etc, they just let them run loose where they can come in contact with wild birds. All in all it is a bad situation

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
this isnt the first time? www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5-11-2005 by elitegamer23]

[edit on 5-11-2005 by elitegamer23]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Very good article Mayet. It is shocking how quickly different countries are starting to find new cases. It should only be a matter of time before it hits here. Awful.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Shots, I love the use of your thumbs, its adorable, if not repetitious...... really instead of complaining about everything everyone else writes about on here, go on grab a scoop, post it yourself, your way, then you won't have to moan so much about the way others post their news.

Posting another thread on the same subject would be duplication which is a no no or didn't you know that? Also I am not complaining about the story as you seem to think. I am allowed to voice my own opinion am I not?

In this case I think the media not you is distorting the facts by leaving out certain items such as the mention of the three out of the five that died worked in the poultry industry, which to me is very misleading.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This isn't confirmed to be H5N1, though, right? Just 'bird flu'. H5N1 has yet to pass from human to human. Is that right?

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This isn't confirmed to be H5N1, though, right? Just 'bird flu'. H5N1 has yet to pass from human to human. Is that right?

That is as I understand it also. I was just doing some research on those that died and found this.

A suspected bird flu patient was admitted to the General Hospital of Bac Giang on Thursday. Specimens from the 24-year-old pregnant woman from Viet Yen have been tested for bird flu viruses. Earlier, her family's flock of ducks died mysteriously.

Source

Now I am not sure this is one of the five but it gives a very good example of what I pointed out earlier. Note her own birds died also meaning that more then likely in this case she got it from her birds and not a human as the news articles seem to make it look. That is what I am talking about, the media is not telling all the facts or perhaps they are leaving them out on purpose to make it look like something it is not.

Ah sweet success this confirms one of the dead did get it from chickens that lived around her just as I suspected.

The woman, from the town of Tangerang on the outskirts of the Indonesia capital Jakarta, was believed to have contracted the virus from infected dead chickens in her neighborhood, said Hariadi Wibisono, a Ministry of Health official. Her death brings the number of people killed by the disease in Indonesia to five, he said.

source

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Human-to-human transmission of H5N1 bird flu has been reported on numerous occasions for several years.

Tests often are negative in the early stages of the disease - perhaps one of the reasons scientists have been begging authorities to use molecular diagnostics.

...IMO - we already are well on the road to adapting and developing immunity.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Thanks, soficrow. I'll be looking for those reports now.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Sorry - refs all over ATS - but scroll here, to Byrd's entry

CDC Reports...

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by Mayet

Posting another thread on the same subject would be duplication which is a no no or didn't you know that? Also I am not complaining about the story as you seem to think. I am allowed to voice my own opinion am I not?

In this case I think the media not you is distorting the facts by leaving out certain items such as the mention of the three out of the five that died worked in the poultry industry, which to me is very misleading.

Ok well maybe I am so used to you jumping on me everytime I post something like this. Sorry

and it is likely to be H5N1 because H5N1 has been reported in poultry in the area. The WHO says solati died of Bird Flu which I presume they mean H5N1 and as Shots said she got it from her poultry by looks like. But her nurse and her daughter and her two nephews all hospitalized from it are not so sure.

It is not the first time a nurse in Vietnam has contracted H5N1 from a patient they are treating. Two nurses I know of caught the disease from their patient around six months ago

But heres where I worry, if Vietnam knew of nurses contracting the disease before (six months ago), they should have made sure that isolation facilities for patients with the disease were of the strictest standard. I can't understand why it was allowed to happen again.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
soficrow is correct, it was never said that bird flu could not spread from human to human, it's just that it cannot spread efficiently, so it's not surprising if the nurse did contract it, although none of the links I've seen on this thread confirm that the nurse of the 19 year old who died has the same flu, maybe she just has human flu.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

Well...

We'd need to catch all the wild birds and kill them off as well. Not a good idea with the effect that could have on the eco-system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join