It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Podcast....who mentioned Podcast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Well after weeks of pondering and thinking I finally decided to "do a podcast" today with a little nudge from Springer...

Well now... I came in and picked up my new digital recorder to begin... umm wait no batteries and the recorder was full of a six year old singing and very badly too...ok I know now why no batteries... ah next AAA batteries...hmm none in the house... *sigh pack the four little ones up and pop them into the car to go shopping for batteries. I get to the shopping centre only to find my six year old thinks we were going swimming so he's wearing only his togs...... arggghhhh...
So I put the three year old and the baby into the trolley and off we go to buy some batteries and a converter thingamyjig that I need for the recorder mic....

Well silly me parked next to a display of miniture robots didn't I so as I was being served I heard an almighty crash behind me. I didn't want to turn around, I mean I really didn't want to turn around...but I just had too and there was my lovely Kahleah with a robot in hand standing up next to brodie in the trolley who incidently had a mini robot in his hand, both grinning away happily..I looked down..but i really didn't want to and sure enough, no more mini robots on the stand, they were all over the floor...... *sigh

so I came home, inserted batteries and was off and away.. yaaaay first podcast complete.

now, new digital recorder needs software, yep familiar with that so I installed it and I am off and away.... but wait no that progy that came with the recorder only converts to wav files.... arrrgggh again...

so I jumped into chat and spoke to theshadowknows and he directed me to a free download of a mp3 converter at download.com

so far Im going great guns, installed and yup its away converting... I am getting all excited at this point...

I opened the podcast page and started to input my stuff. Ooh now how many minutes was it *sigh find that 12.36 and start again... I am on dialup at home until I move so I figured it was going to take a while... so I sat back...and sat back..and sat back....and then...yep it happened...my mobile phone rang...oh cwap damn.. I jumped for the phone so fast I feel off my chair and answered it but too late... click connection dropped...yes everytime my cell phone rings, my internet cuts out.. no other mobiles phones do it only mine.... so i reconnect and start again... I took the phone out to the kitchen while it was going....but then... after a while...yup the phone rang...and yup the connect died again... argggghhhh

So this time I get smart and turned the phone off and got back to business.....
I start the upload and sit back and sit back and sit back... till finally a message comes up... you have uploaded an unsupported format...say what arggghhh after all that arrgghhhhh...

So this time I look and whats that fine print say...4mb's oh dear.....oh dear...mines at least 17mb....oh dear...oh and mention abovetopsecret.com...oh dear..oh dear I said ATS...oh dear.......

I noticed around this time that one of my daughters friends was on ATS as a new member so I messaged him and said I was coming over...

Kaelan was playing his gameboy and objected to being deseated so I left him in the car in the driveway and went in...oops bad mistake...Brentons mum gets up me for leaving kaelan in the car...made me feel like a naughty little girl again..... ooh sorry gran I won't do it again...

So I wnet in and installed the progy on brentons sys and then uploaded the voice recoding to it and converted it to wav all ready for the final moves. Brenton put it in itunes and yaaaaaaaaah we have 5 something megs of me.... So we upoad it to the pod page...and wait and wait only to have a message come up...this file type is not supported.... arggh its the new mp3 format....argghhhhh

So we download a progy from download and ooops its gone back up to 17 MB again... *sigh.... well we will try it anyhows... we left as it was uploading to go and pick my daughter up to take her to work.. *but sigh...i've checked..it aint there...so at this point...Podcast.....who mentioned podcast......what podcast........

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
and does it end there................noooo of course not...its me..its my bad day...and i am living it...

We get home and while I was posting this before I was also downloading two new converters and adding itunes from eberts ipod onto my system..

we load itunes and try convert the file oh yeah great..mp4... and ebert doesn't know if itunes does mp3 format...So I load up the other progy that come down and install that one.

Go to open the file and yup windows has experienced an error and must close explorer.exe

oh yah great.

So I clean up the system, clear out the start menu.. do a system file check. get rid of programs I dont need.. reboot...mind you by now this has given Telstra its yearly profit in my phone calls to dialin to the net. Nope still error close program..so I delted winamp which my music had been defaulting to...still not fixed...

In the middle of all this kids were fed bathed played with house cleaned washing done and all the usual can I have a drink please, canI have an icecream, can I have some fruit, can i have some noodles.... oh and Kahleah took her nappy (diapers) off again in her cot, that was a fun clean up..I am going to stick duct tape around them from now on... it will take her at least four weeks to work out how to get out of that......

everytime i open a music file...error error error

So then its time to take Krissy to work by then it was 9.30 pm and I had been steady at it since before lunch...bah that podcast is gold....

but to my great surprise I get home and eureka...yaaaaahooooo ..... my podcasts in the feed...........................................I did it.... computers still borked but I did it

tomorrows story... Mayet fixing her windows errors..geeez that one will be fun.....no wonder i am damned tired tonight...

what can I say..... listen to my podcast.... geez ..... please

:bnghd:
:bnghd:

oh yeah the topper of the night, when my daughter wanted me to drive her 7 kilometres to pick up a pair of earrings she wanted to wear to work...and had a tantie..mind you her work was 6 kilometres in the other direction and it was only 20 minutes before she was due to clock on.... Am I the only one with a teenager that thinks your their chauffeur/banker/cleaner/cook/oddbodsman and the chief answer of phone to fob off the million dudes that ring to take her out ?

[edit on 5-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I'm listening to your PODcast!
Good on you!

Sorry about all the problems you had, but you sound lovely! You don't need a recorder, though. You might find it easier to go this route in the future. You can record yourself then edit it and take out any bits you don't like or add more stuff in.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Yes I thought about recording direct to the computer but bought the voice recorder to take with me because I hope to start doing some interviews for atsnn, seemed a good chance to experiment

It works great and is very neat. Now I want to find a free program that adds sound effects and so on.

and thanks for the vote of confidence...

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Great story, Mayet...sounds a lot like my experience but without the successful ending. I dumped some software and really mixed up my platform, so i did a reformat.

Aaargh is right...

Enjoyed your podcast though...lots of good colour, as the journalists say. I got a good feel for Oz out of it.

Please do more...but without all the angst.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well it can only get better

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
It works great and is very neat. Now I want to find a free program that adds sound effects and so on.

Check this link(and video) out

revision3.com...

And this link by Zedd has alot of common tools used by ATS casters

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Sheesh Mayet, what an ordeal. I give you credit for perserverence(sp).
I shall listen to your podcast now.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I listened to your podcast before reading this (sounded good:up
. You couldn't tell you had such an er, "interesting" day.

The good free prog. to get to add sfx etc is Audacity. audacity.sourceforge.net... . you'll also need the LAME mp3 encoder. You can get it here: www.free-codecs.com...

You can layer tracks, record directly or import sound files from your voice recorder. You can even record audio palying from your cdrom (eek!) directly into the program (by changing the input to wave). Could be useful for recording conversations from prog's like Skype.

I feel your dial up pain. Telstra blows.

top topics

join