It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is Melchizedek?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The bible speaks of another prophet and king in the old testament. A person with no lineage, no father, no mother, no past, no beginnng, and no end. The bible is very vague on this person, perhaps that i sthey way the writers intended.

"Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought forth bread and wine, and he was priest of the Most High God. And he blessed him and said, "Blessed be Abram of the Most High God, possessor of heaven and earth, and blessed be the Most High God�" " (Genesis 14:18-20).

CHARACTERISTICS OF MELCHIZEDEK CHARACTERISTICS OF JESUS CHRIST

"...Melchizedek King of Salem." "Unto us a child is born... and
- Gen. 14:18 (the Hebrew word his name shall be called... The
for 'Salem' is 'Shalem' which Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6
literally means: "PEACEFUL; "...When they heard that
SHALEM, an early name for Jer- Jesus was coming to Jerusalem..
us.:Salem." - From: STRONG'S (they) cried, Hosanna: Blessed
CONCORDANCE) is the King of Israel..." (or,
King of Peace, King of Salem) -
John 12:12-13

"And Melchizedek... brought "...Jesus took bread, and
forth bread and wine." (i.e. blessed, and broke it... and he
the fruit of the vine, or the took the cup, and... gave it
fruit of the grape) - Genesis unto them." - Mark 14:22-23
14:18

"Melchizedek... was the Priest "...Seeing then that we have a
of the most high God." - great high priest, that is pas-
Genesis 14:18 sed unto the heavens, Jesus..."

"Melchizedek... abideth a - Hebrews 4:14
priest continually." - Hebrews "But into the second went
7:1,3 the high priest alone once

"And they truly were many every year... But Christ being
priests, because they were not come an high Priest... by his
suffered to continue by rea- own blood he entered in once
son of death." - Hebrews into the holy place, having
7:23 obtained eternal redemption for
us." - Hebrews 9:7,11-12
"But this man (Jesus), be-
cause he continueth ever, hath
an unchangeable priesthood."
- Hebrews 7:24

"Melchizedek... to whom also "And all the tithe of the land
Abraham gave a tenth part of ...is the Lord's: it is holy
all." (i.e. tithes) - Hebrews unto the Lord... the tenth
7:1-2 (also see: Genesis 14: shall be holy unto the Lord."
18-20) - Leviticus 27:30,32
"Jesus Christ is Lord..."
- Philippians 2:11

"Melchizedek... King of right- "In those days... I will cause
eousness..." - Hebrews 7:1,2 the Branch of Righteousness to
grow up unto David, and he
shall execute judgement in the
land." - Jeremiah 33:15

"Melchizedek... having neither "I am Alpha and Omega, the be-
beginning of days, nor end of ginning and the ending.. the
life..." - Hebrews 7:1,3 Almighty... the first and the
last... I am he that liveth,
and was dead; and, behold, I am
alive for ever more." - Reve-
lation 1:8,11,18

www.ancientmanuscripts.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 02:22 AM
link   
in the Mormon religion the older men hold what's called the Melchizedek priesthood, this after having achieved a temple marriage, having gone on a mission, etc etc. funny, having been raised Mormon I couldnt tell you exactly what it is, or what it means. The closest thing I can relate it to is similar to the different degress is Masonism (spelling?)

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I have read about who he represents.......

Here goes..
Nothing is known concerning Melchizadek,his background, and his death.
The name Melchizadek means King of rightousness, and the word Salem means peace.
Melchizadek was a prototype of Jesus Christ. Just as Melchizadek was at the same time Priest and King, so Jesus Christ is High Priest and King.
Just as neither the begininng nor the end of the life of Melchizadek is told, he , as it were , lives forever.
So also Christ is eternal God , King and High priest;we call Jesus Christ the High Priest forever according to the order of Melchizadek...And just as our Lord Jesus Christ gave us ,in the form of bread and wine, His Body and Blood, that is, Holy Communion, so also Melchizadek, fore-shadowing the Saviour, offered Abraham bread and wine and , since he wasolder, blessed Abraham.
Abraham accepted the blessing of Melchizadek with reverence and gave him the tenth part of his spoils.
Note//Genesis, ch 12, 14, 15 , 16 , 17
The Old Testament is a pre-figuration of Jesus Christ as Saviour.
helen...

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Maybe Melchizadek was indeed something like Jesus, God's creation. ( Or if you believe in God=Aliens theory, a prototype, not so perfect human, a test of whats to come later
)
Every nation and past civilisation had their own prophets. God has sent his word to everyone, Melchizadek was one of those blessed people who were chosen to speak the message of God.

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Here is some people's idea of who Melchizadek was:

First, who is this Melchizidek fellow and why is Jesus said to be a priest after the order of Melchizidek? Who was this Melchizidek who was said to
have received tithes from Abraham?
A: False prophet.
Q: (L) Why is Jesus described as being a priest after the order of Melchizidek?
A: We told you that 70 per cent of the Bible is false.
Q: (L) Well, 70 per cent would equal an amount that could consist of the entire old testament.
A: Yes.
Q: (L) Did Abraham pay tithes to Melchizidek?
A: No.
Q: (L) Did a Melchizidek live at the time of the patriarch Abraham?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) It was said that he was the priest king of Salem, which became Jerusalem, and that he had neither father nor mother, and that he came into being by his
own will. Are any of these parts of the story correct?
A: No.

see more of the above at www.cassiopaea.com

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
I have read about who he represents.......

Here goes..
Nothing is known concerning Melchizadek,his background, and his death.
The name Melchizadek means King of rightousness, and the word Salem means peace.

As in Jerusalem. Jerusalem means Teaching/Teacher of Peace.

Melchizadek was a prototype of Jesus Christ. Just as Melchizadek was at the same time Priest and King, so Jesus Christ is High Priest and King.

I'll have to disagree slightly here. Melkizedek isn't the prototype of Jesus. Jesus is highest priest in the order of Melkizedek. Is a servant greater than his master? I guess you say this sinve you believe that Jesus is God. He is not God, he is the god who will minister for 1000 years as God in power of his office in Heaven, being the highest priest stepping in when the Father (who is the one God still) is resting for 1000 years.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 10:06 PM
link   
according to drunvalo melchezidek, the melchezidek are a family of angels. a level of conciousness ABOVE christ consciousness.
king melchezidek was supposed to have the keys to heaven.
according to some others the melchezidek are the enemy. similiar to the borg, they are the penultimate bureaucrats, ruling the galaxy with red tape.
i have no idea, but that drunvalo guy sure taught me a thing or two. sacred geometry and oneness.
let's see, ?....sacred geometry X oneness = ....a thing or two.

posted on Sep, 20 2003 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Melkizedek is a proper name, not an order of angels. The order of Melckizedek is an order of the Heavenly priesthood in which Jesus is the highest priest. He is not the enemy or Satan. Satan you'll find in the Mesopotamian texts and the order of the enemy is ruled by Ba'al also known as Beelzebub or Ba'al Sebul/Sebub known to the believer as a form of the Satan himself.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Sep, 20 2003 @ 06:16 AM
link   
It's not too hard to see why Paul might have spoken of Melchisedech as some sort of "forerunner" of Jesus: his name :"King of Righteousness", his connection with Jerusalem, the bread and wine he gave, his mysterious ancestry and so forth.
Certainly, he was an important figure among some heretics in the Early Church: seen by some as the Holy Ghost and by others as Christ (you'd probably find something on this if you searched ""Melchisedechians or Monarchians- the general name for those who denied the Trinity).

posted on Sep, 20 2003 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikromarius
Melkizedek is a proper name, not an order of angels. The order of Melckizedek is an order of the Heavenly priesthood in which Jesus is the highest priest. He is not the enemy or Satan. Satan you'll find in the Mesopotamian texts and the order of the enemy is ruled by Ba'al also known as Beelzebub or Ba'al Sebul/Sebub known to the believer as a form of the Satan himself.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

i know it's a proper name in the bible, however, i've heard/read in several places from different sources that it is an order of higher conciousness entities.
take it or leave it. what do we really know about what happened thousands of years ago. we don't even know what happened in 1963 with kennedy. we don't know what happened in 2001 with the two towers and the anthrax and the top biologists dieing off.
is it not possible that melchezidek was the king OF the melchezideks, and history changed it slightly? just like i might call myself king b.s.?
there was just a guy on coast to coast who thinks melchezidek(the man) has been pulling strings throughout history. that he's immortal.
he seemed to think merlin was melchezidek. he said melchezidek is pure goodness.

posted on Sep, 21 2003 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
i know it's a proper name in the bible, however, i've heard/read in several places from different sources that it is an order of higher conciousness entities.
take it or leave it. what do we really know about what happened thousands of years ago. we don't even know what happened in 1963 with kennedy. we don't know what happened in 2001 with the two towers and the anthrax and the top biologists dieing off.
is it not possible that melchezidek was the king OF the melchezideks, and history changed it slightly? just like i might call myself king b.s.?
there was just a guy on coast to coast who thinks melchezidek(the man) has been pulling strings throughout history. that he's immortal.
he seemed to think merlin was melchezidek. he said melchezidek is pure goodness.

Sorry it took so long, o' king B.S.
But I've been working in the garden all day, giving autumn a hand. Destroyed a wasp hive too today. Man, those wasps were huge! And many!! But who's the boss now ha?

I'd call him a priest of the highest Canaanite god ('elyown 'el) who was the god they worshiped in Jerusalem and who may be the Canaanite name of YHWH Elohim and/or the Egyptian creator god Hu-Hu, but we only have Melkizedek's word for it, there is no second witness here as far as I can see. The fact that Abram gave Melkizedek a tenth of his possessions, may only be a sign of gratitude between two rightious men. But we get another hint in the next chapter when YHWH comes to Abram and assure him that his strength in tribulation comes from YHWH. So Abram showed strength against the two kings (the king of Salem who was Melkizedek and the king of Sodom) and because of that, God makes a pact with Abram.

Many people understand "the Highest God" as meaning YHWH or Elohim, but the text says nothing such. The scolars can tell you that the words translated "the Highest God" simply is the name of a traditional Canaanite god. We only have Melkizedek's word on that this god is him who created Heaven and Earth. But if you flip a couple of pages and you get to the story of Moses, you see that Israel should not worship the Canaanite gods, and not take after them. This is a tricky passage in Genesis. One of many. For while Abram observes the multitude of gods in Canaan, being blessed by a priest of the highest among their gods, Moses teach us that we should only worship YHWH Elohim. I believe this passage is a hint to who among the Canaanite gods who is YHWH Elohim. His name in Canaan was 'elyown 'el.

The reason no Jew knows about the birth or death of Melkizedek may be the simple fact that he was a Canaanite. Something tells me this whole thing is a riddle. Afterall, would they know about the birth and death of the king of Sodom who also came to meet Abram together with Melkizedek? Riddle it is indeed. One of many. Like how it was a sin when they at the time of Enosh started to call uppon the Name of God. For Shem which is translated name in most translations means both name and monument or memorial. Tradition wants it that it is the latter meaning of Shem that is to be used here, so what is actually said here is that they started to worship an idol. The bible isn't simple to understand, it's the greatest test ever (dear God can anyone be saved?!?).

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 12:59 AM
link   
quote]
Genesis 14
14. When Abram heard that his relative had been taken captive, he called out the 318
trained men born in his household and went in pursuit as far as Dan.
15. During the night Abram divided his men to attack them and he routed them, pursuing
them as far as Hobah, north of Damascus.
16. He recovered all the goods and brought back his relative Lot and his possessions,
together with the women and the other people.
17. After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the
king of Sodom came out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).
18. Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God
Most High,
19. and he blessed Abram, saying, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of
heaven and earth.
20. And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand." Then
Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

Psalms 110
1. The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a
footstool for your feet."
2. The LORD will extend your mighty scepter from Zion; you will rule in the midst of
your enemies.
3. Your troops will be willing on your day of battle. Arrayed in holy majesty, from the
womb of the dawn you will receive the dew of your youth.
4. The LORD has sworn and will not change his mind: "You are a priest forever, in the
order of Melchizedek."
5. The Lord is at your right hand; he will crush kings on the day of his wrath.
6. He will judge the nations, heaping up the dead and crushing the rulers of the whole
earth.
7. He will drink from a brook beside the way ; therefore he will lift up his head.

Hebrews 5
5. So Christ also did not take upon himself the glory of becoming a high priest. But God
said to him, "You are my Son; today I have become your Father. "
6. And he says in another place, "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."
7. During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud
cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his
reverent submission.
8. Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered
9. and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him
10. and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.
11. We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to
learn.

Hebrews 7
1. This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham
returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him,
2. and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, his name means "king of
righteousness"; then also, "king of Salem" means "king of peace."
3. Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life,
like the Son of God he remains a priest forever.
4. Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the
plunder!
5. Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth
from the people--that is, their brothers--even though their brothers are descended from
Abraham.
6. This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from
Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.
7. And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater.
8. In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him
who is declared to be living.
9. One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham,
10. because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.
11. If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the
basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to
come--one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?
12. For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.
13. He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that
tribe has ever served at the altar.
14. For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses
said nothing about priests.
15. And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears,
16. one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on
the basis of the power of an indestructible life.
17. For it is declared: "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."
18. The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless
19. (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw
near to God.

Melchizedek basically gets God out of a wicket that will stick. The Messiah was to be the
King of the Jews and therefore of the House of David. However, the Messiah is to be a
high priest and this implies being of the House of Levi. To the Jewish mind, these were
two incompatible requirements since Mosaic Law established that only the sons of Aaron
(House of Levi) could be a priest. And only sons of David (house of David) could be
king. No king of Israel could be a priest (although he could be a prophet) and no priest
could be king (although the priest also could be a prophet). However we see in
Melchizedek a person who serves both the office of priest and is the king of Salem
(Jerusalem). Obviously he was named to the office of priest by God and not by the
requirements of the law. Many have speculated as to who exactly Melchizedek was
(Christ himself, an angel, or just a priest); however, we can only conclude that he was a
historical figure, the priest of Almighty God who lived in the days of Abraham. Abraham
indicated that he recognized Melchizedek as a fellow-worshiper of the true God when he
gave Melchizedek a tenth of his booty. Also Abraham recognized that Melchizedek
ranked higher spiritually than himself (the greater always blesses the lesser). This shows
the existence of people other than Abraham who served the one true God.

The overall purpose of Hebrews 7 is to explain to Jewish Christians that the Levitical
priesthood had been superceded by Jesus Christ. Indeed the only mention of Melchizedek
in the New Testament is in the Book of Hebrews which was written primarily for a Jewish
audience and Jews would normally be the only people to be concerned about the
requirements of Mosaic Law. To quote one of the articles �In these verses the author
seeks to demonstrate the superiority of Melchizedek (and by implication Christ) to the
Levitical priesthood. His assertion is based on the fact that God designated that the
Levites would receive all the tithes of the people under the old covenant. However,
because Melchizedek received tithes from Abraham, the progenitor of the Levites, his
priesthood is declared to be greater than theirs.� For more details:

www.aristotle.net...
www.biblestudy.org...
www.plim.org...
www.letusreason.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
The overall purpose of Hebrews 7 is to explain to Jewish Christians that the Levitical priesthood had been superceded by Jesus Christ. Indeed the only mention of Melchizedek in the New Testament is in the Book of Hebrews which was written primarily for a Jewish audience and Jews would normally be the only people to be concerned about the requirements of Mosaic Law. To quote one of the articles �In these verses the author seeks to demonstrate the superiority of Melchizedek (and by implication Christ) to the Levitical priesthood. His assertion is based on the fact that God designated that the Levites would receive all the tithes of the people under the old covenant. However, because Melchizedek received tithes from Abraham, the progenitor of the Levites, his priesthood is declared to be greater than theirs.� For more details:

www.aristotle.net...
www.biblestudy.org...
www.plim.org...
www.letusreason.org...

I agreed all the way through your post, until your conclusion, that the order of Melkizedek is greater than the order of Aaron. If Billybob is king B.S. you must be prince B.S.
for the only thing said is that the order of Melkizedek is just as good as the order of Aaron. As you so logically resonated that since the Messiah couldn't be of both Levi tribe, house of Aaron and Judah tribe, house of David at the same time. In order for Messiah (Jesus) to be the prophecied priest king he would either have to be king of another country or priest of another order. But you can't look at one order of holy priests and put this order above another order of holy priests. They both serve the same God and are equal in terms of rank.

Here you actually demonstrate a typical satanic resonnement (not that I call you a satanist though, I hope you are smart enough not to draw that conclusion). For Satan heaps uppon us truth after truth but adds a lie (or the other way around, presenting the lie first) as if the truths of his statement should somehow overshadow the lie that is really the punchline or the "trigger word". Look at the incident by the Tree of Wisdom: Satan says that they shall not die which is the lie, but in order to overshadow the lie, he boeasts about his true knowledge of what eating from the forbidden tree will do to them: their eyes will be opened and they will be like God knowing the difference between good and evil. See? God speeks of two named orders of priests in the Torah. But he doesn't differ between them, but rather he equals the two. Since both are worthy of tenth. The only reason Jesus had to be priest in the order of Melkizedek, is that he was also king.

Here's an interresting pun I've been thinking about for a while:
IsRaEl? YesHuA.
Or how about this one:
YHWH=YesHWaH
Remember that the English double V is infact a double U and Jesus is refered to as "the Lord". But it's important to know that after John the Baptist the kingdom of Heaven is stormed and violent men take it by force i.e. Rome who replaced Jesus or the Lord by a violent Lateinos called the Pope (as if they tried to reestablish the Babylonian priesthood that had human representatives for their gods, a tradition that was unheared of in the Law and the Prophets), the Pope, who's late empire (after he had betrayed the French royal house) was divided into ten "circles" or provinces. Sounds like something you've heard before? "But he looks so sweat and harmless...." Poor old man..... Wonder if he knows these things.

But there is one thing I still don't get, though: Melkizedek was/is the king of Salem/peace, Jesus/the Messiah is the prince of peace.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 03:28 AM
link   
mikromarius;
From the Biblical evidence, we cannot infer that a priestly order called the "order of Melchizedek" existed. When the term "in the order of" is used it means "akin to" or "analogous to". There was no priestly order of Melchizedek mentioned in the Old Testament. Melchizedek is mentioned only in three places: Genesis, Psalms, and the Epistle to Hebrews. Also we can infer that Melchizedek is of an higher order since "Hebrews 7:3. Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever." And we can infer that Melchizedek priesthood was of an higher level than the Levites by:
Hebrews 7:15
15. And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears,
16. one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.
17. For it is declared: "You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."
19. (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

The new order (analogous to Melechizedek) replaced to old order (the Levite priests). By direct implication the preisthood of Melechizedek had to be of a higher order in order to replace the Levitical priesthood. If that is not the case, then then Hebrews Chapter 7 must be discarded for that is the purport of Chapter 7: Melechizedek's priesthood was superior to the Levitical priesthood.

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
mikromarius;
From the Biblical evidence, we cannot infer that a priestly order called the "order of Melchizedek" existed. When the term "in the order of" is used it means "akin to" or "analogous to".

Yes I know. In my own bible it says "p� Melkisedeks vis" directly translated "in Melkizedek's manner" or simply "Melkizedek wise". What I meant was that it's the only priesthood that is personified in the Tannakh except Aaron's.

There was no priestly order of Melchizedek mentioned in the Old Testament.

Well you showed us Psalms 110 yourself where it says the exact same as in Hebrews.

Melchizedek is mentioned only in three places: Genesis, Psalms, and the Epistle to Hebrews. Also we can infer that Melchizedek is of an higher order since "Hebrews 7:3. Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever." And we can infer that Melchizedek priesthood was of an higher level than the Levites by:
Hebrews 7:15
16. one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.
19. (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

The new order (analogous to Melechizedek) replaced to old order (the Levite priests).

It simply says that Jesus is a priest eternally and that he serves God like Melkizedek did without being a Levite of the house of Aaron. We have only one witness that says Melkizedek lives eternally, and God demands two witnesses in any case, and here we only have one anonimous witness. To say Melkizedek isn't a man or that he is THE Man, Adam (not born by a woman) is merely an asumption. Present a second witness that leaves no doubt and I'll rest my case.

By direct implication the preisthood of Melechizedek had to be of a higher order in order to replace the Levitical priesthood. If that is not the case, then then Hebrews Chapter 7 must be discarded for that is the purport of Chapter 7: Melechizedek's priesthood was superior to the Levitical priesthood.

You haven't shown any proof why it should be greater than the priesthood of Aaron, you have just copied and pasted from the epistle to the Hebrews who is only presenting a single witness in this case. If Jesus is the Highest Priest in the same way Melkizedek was, then how can Jesus be above Melkizedek himself? There are many high priests, but only one Highest Priest. It looks to me that Jesus replaced Melkizedek if anything. For how can a servant be greater than his master if he doesn't replace him when he dies?

Hebrews says by far that Melkizedek's priesthood is somehow greater than that of Aaron. But Aaron is Holy to the Lord, God has sworn on that too. And even on Earth. It is Jesus who is priest eternally, not Melkizedek. The only thing Ps 110 says is that God has sworn that the Messiah will be priest eternally, but not of Aaron's house, but like Melkizedek. Like Melkizedek was accepted by Abram, Jesus is also accepted by God. Is it a greater task to serve in Heaven than on Earth? Isn't it more difficult here to live without sin and stay holy, than it is to serve in Heaven transformed and made sinless? What is Holy to the Lord is not less holy than something else that is Holy to the Lord. For after all didn't Aaron serve God in the manner of Melkizedek? A priesthood already existed, but Aaron served as priest in a priesthood that opposed the Canaanite ways of worship, and Melkizedek was a priest of the highest Canaanite 'El who seems to be identical with the God of Abraham. Elohim YHWH may be identical to the highest 'El.

If you use this logic of yours (and Hebrews) Melkizedek is holier than Jesus. It just doesn't make any sense. Jesus is equal to all the other sons of God, until he has had his final victory and he sits down as God in the order of his Father. Then he decides what is holy and what is not. Then Jesus will be the highest God since he lived on Earth without sin, and establish a brand new priesthood of the ressurected Ecclesia, many of whom were Levite priests in the order of Aaron when they lived.

We have a case in the media here in Norway about this guy who was found on a bench in Oslo, who don't remember anything. Noone seems to know where his from, when or where he was born or who his parents are, but this doesn't mean that he automatically lives eternally? The logics of Hebrews is weak, not the priesthood of Aaron.

Edit: If Jesus lived eternally in the manner of Melkizedek, wouldn't Melkizedek be greater than Jesus? Yes. Therefore Ps 110 says that Jesus is priest eternally and he has his right to be priest on equal terms as Melkizedek.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

[Edited on 22-9-2003 by mikromarius]

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   
mikromarius
If you have read my post, you would have seen that the only assumption made about Melchizedek was that he was a king-priest of Salem (Jerusalem). I made no claim as to his being anything other than a man. Also my proof as to the priesthood of Melchizedek is of an higher spiritual order than that of the Levites comes from the Book of Hebrews. Also you grossly misread my posting if you assume that it meant that Melchizedek was a higher spiritual order than Jesus. You are reading too much into too little. You make the statement "If you use this logic of yours (and Hebrews) Melkizedek is holier than Jesus". No that is not the case, the book of Hebrews makes only the case that Melchizedek is of a higher spiritual order than the Levite priests because he was directly ordained as a priest by God. Again you read too much into what was written. And then the book of Hebrews says in effect, "since Jesus is a priest on the order of Melchizedek (akin to Melchizedek), Jesus is then superior to the Levite priests (of course). As for the witness, what more do I need than the epistle of Hebrews, or have you ripped that out of your Bible?

posted on Sep, 22 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Very good reaction people now lets go to our corners and cool off a bit. For the next round consider this. The bible states that Melkizedek has no biginning of days nor end of life. In fact he goes on forever having never died. Now if we are to take this as literal fact, is Melkizedek still with us? Perhaps living undergound where the aging process is already slowed down due to less exposure form radiant solar winds and pollution.

"Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life;" Now, do we interpret the Bible literally or not?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Melchizedek , whose name literally meanse in Ge'ez(Ethiopic): "king of the Truth" or the Righteous king of Salem. ("Salem" literally meanse ''Peace", whence the name of Jeru-Salem meaning The Land of Peace), was the one elected by God for the execution of the Third covenant. Recognized as the precursor of Jesus Christ and begotten of the unified and reinstated seed of Noah that sprung from the triad race composed of the descendants of Shem, Ham and Japhet, he Melchizedek, appeared in the Bible as a symbol of the Eternal Entity of the Kingdom of God on Earth.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Mechizedek was a prefigurement of the Messiah, Jesus. Many had to come before so when the savior did come, they would know who it was. Many came and prepared the way.
Melchizedek' sacrifice of bread and wine, prefigures, Jesus giving us the sacrifice of bread and wine at His last passover supper. It is the bridge between the passover lamb, Jesus the sacrificial lamb and the establishment of Bread and Wine as new offering -eucharist.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
According to the Book of Jasher, Melchizedek was Shem, the son of Noah.

The Book of Jasher is mentioned twice in the Old Testament (Josh. 10:13 and II Sam. 1:18) and is counted among the "lost books". There have been several books put forward as the Book of Jasher, but most are very obvious frauds. There is one, however, that was translated to English in 1840 from a Hebrew book published in the 17th century. The original manuscript is said to have been part of the collection of a Jewish scholar taken captive by a Roman officer named Sidrus at the time of the conquest of Jerusalem by Titus. The scholar and manuscripts were taken to Seville, Spain (Hispalis) and much later donated to the Jewish college at Cordova.

Having read it, it seems to me to have the ring of authenticity. It covers many of the accounts of Genesis, but generally with more detail and includes stories not contained in the Bible. For example, the story of what happened after Noah left the ark and got drunk and later cursed Canaan is much more understandable in the Book of Jasher.

In the Book of Jasher, we are actually told that Abraham gave a tenth to the king Adonaizedek who was also known as Shem. We are also told that the place of their meeting was the Valley of Melech (Valley of Kings?). To me, it seems possible that the names Adonaizedek and Melech could have become confused at some point to produce Melchizedek.

Interestingly, the Book of Jasher also tells us that this wasn't the first meeting between Abraham and Melchizedek/Shem. It states that earlier in his life, Abraham had gone to dwell for a time with Noah and Shem as a sort of priesthood training.

If you would like to see the Book of Jasher for yourself, go to www.sacred-texts.com...

Incidentally, the LDS church (Mormon) also associates Melchizedek with Shem.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join