It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members Doing Mods. Revisited...... (with pictures)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I started a thread a couple months ago to see if any other members were building their own mods. or making any unusual cases.
www.belowtopsecret.com...

I built a microwave mod. for the kitchen, but didn't have any pics to post, so I thought I'd revisit this topic with pictures and see if ATS has gathered any new members that are doing mods. of their own.

The first pic is the microwave sitting on the fridge.

This pic has the door open.

I opened the case up on the coffee table so you could see the inside.

I've started work on my coffee table with a computer built under a smoked glass top so that it's invisible. It's a work in progress............

Is anyone else on ATS building this kind of stuff??????
I'm looking for ideas....

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
and heres me thinking this thread was about.....oh nevermind

I had my computer shop counter with the computer parts in it under glass. It was great when someone came in and asked anything I could show them exactly what the difference between ram and a hard drive was....

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Love the Microwave! Shame that:

1. Your PSU sticks out
  2. Your PSU and drives don't have a colour that matches the microwave

Still I could not have done anything near as good! Bravo

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Since the pictures were taken I've painted the power supply to match the cabinet, so now it's a lot less visible. Or at least it doesn't stand out as much.

I just got a black CD-R for it, but haven't got around to installing it yet. Though when the computer is being used in the kitchen, the screen just shows through the closed door. You don't see the two drives unless you open the door to put a disk in.

I might take a black felt pen and go over the front of the small floppy instead of buying another one of those, we'll see.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Though when the computer is being used in the kitchen, the screen just shows through the closed door.

Now the only thing missing on that monitor is a video of food cooking. And play the sound of a microwave in the computer speakers for effects.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I might take a black felt pen and go over the front of the small floppy instead of buying another one of those, we'll see.

Cheap and probably effective, I like it! A few Q's for you:

How much space was there?
What do you do for a keyboard (I saw a mouse!)?
Speakers?
Spec?
Is the HDD by the PSU safe standing freely like that?

I still quite like it!

[edit on 5/11/05 by Infidellic]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufia

Though when the computer is being used in the kitchen, the screen just shows through the closed door.

Now the only thing missing on that monitor is a video of food cooking. And play the sound of a microwave in the computer speakers for effects.

I tried to get a picture of the screen while the turkey was in the oven but it turned out way too dark.
If the wallpaper is on (the desktop), all you see through the door of the oven is a picture of a turkey.

If the computer sits for 30 min. it goes to a crackling fire screensaver with all the sounds of a fire burning, plus flames inside the oven.

Infidellic asked:

How much space was there?
What do you do for a keyboard (I saw a mouse!)?
Speakers?
Spec?
Is the HDD by the PSU safe standing freely like that?

Space - It was tight and I ended up doing a lot of cutting. The back and the oven pan were cut out with a high speed, hand held, tile cutter.
It cut through the metal like it was butter.

Keyboard - I have a PS2 board that plugs into the back, but I also use a virtual keyboard for simple tasks. It's called "Click-N-Type"........
www.lakefolks.org...

Speakers - The microwave has a speaker box beside the power supply, but also has speakers that it shares with the TV/VCR that are above it. We play a lot of music on the microwave, plus some video, and the sound is pretty good.

Specs
Win 98 SE
350 Pentium II
6.44 Gig C Drive - For the O/S
61.5 Gig D Drive - For media
192 M RAM

That Hard Drive - It hangs there...... But when it's in place, it really doesn't move around much. I sometimes swap drives in this machine so having it hang there for easy access works for me. I haven't seen any sparks yet, but I'd like to come up with another solution.
Perhaps I'll put it up on the top, there is space if I make one more cut.

I got the original computer from a friend that just wanted to get rid of it, and the microwave came from people that moved out of the building and left it behind.

This project wasn't very expensive.
Total Cost - - - Almost Nothing

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The title almost had me expecting a paparazzi style photo gallery!

and the revisited Hmmmmm?!

by ufia:

That's funny.

How about the light on and the rotating empty platter "screensaver"?

Anxiety's friends telling him, "Hey ... your microwave's on.

Uhmm Anx...hey...your microwave's on.

Good Job!

On a side note:
Anx...after the lapster(©me) oven...what next? Hmmmm...Frigidaire Mainframe!

The only problem I foresee is within 2-3 projects you'll be eating out alot.

Please keep us posted as to your latest projects.

[edit on 11/7/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Nice bit of cobbling. I love the idea of sticking PC's in unusual places. Now you can surf while you snack.
Have you any new ideas like the coffee table comp in the works?

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Have you any new ideas like the coffee table comp in the works?

I have most of the parts for my coffee table now, but I haven't started cutting the table yet.
(Hubby likes the two matching tables and doesn't want me to cut one of them up...)
In the last three pictures at the top of the thread the microwave is sitting on the coffee table I want to build the computer into......

But I have been working on a wall mounted diagnostic board that is totally exposed and will boot in multiple operating systems. This way I can plug in or pull parts with ease, for testing hardware, or a place to test software in an isolated environment.

I'm looking for a better mother board than the MS-6738 that I have now, but everything is always a work in progress............

[edit on 8/1/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet

I had the same impression...lol...

I'm a bit confused. You've disguised your computer as a microwave?

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
I'm a bit confused. You've disguised your computer as a microwave?

--Kit.

Yeah, I needed a computer in the kitchen, but I didn't want it to look like a computer.
I wanted it to fit in and be invisable.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
That's...interesting...lol. You need a computer in the kitchen, yet you want to disguise it...Sorry, but that's beyond me. Eh, you have your reasons, I suppose.

Good luck in disguising your computer, lol.

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I do a lot of cooking, and with a kitchen computer, it's nice to be able to look up a recipe or keep an eye on what's going on in the ATS boards.

I can watch an episode of Star Trek or a movie, play MP3s, or watch music videos while I wait for bread to come out of the oven. So it's a handy thing to have in the kitchen, and I don't have a tower sitting on my counter and a monitor sitting on the fridge.
The whole thing is in one package, and it looks like a kitchen appliance.

Most people that visit don't even notice that there's a computer on the fridge because the wallpaper looks like the oven is on and cooking a turkey.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Ahhhh. Well, why didn't ya say so first!

Now it makes sense, lol. Sorry for the sideways looks there, lol. Sounds like a good plan then.

--Kit.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet

I'm with you. I saw the title, and thought "Isn't that against the T&C?"

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Try some linux on that machine.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
linuxfueled.homelinux.com:8080...

Yes your 6v XM or sirius can run off your PC power supply

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
My Modded case, bought off a site, and here is a pic from the site.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Here's mine.

new topics

top topics

join