It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Walks for Gospel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is a great story of a couple who are walking from Santa Monica, CA to Washington, DC in about 7 months. They will be praying for revival for the United States and spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ all across the country. They will be walking for 20 miles per day (Mondays through Saturdays) and stopping at various places along the way for rallies.

headlines.agapepress.org

Ohio Christian Couple Plotting Cross Country Path to Revival

Christian 'Power Walkers' Plan to Hit the Road and Reclaim America
By Allie Martin and Jenni Parker
November 4, 2005

(AgapePress) - An Ohio couple is gearing up for a major project aimed at reclaiming America's Christian heritage. On January 1, Rick and Jane McKinney of Our Heart Ministries will be leaving on foot from Los Angeles, California, for a six-month walk across the U.S., covering about 20 miles a day in an effort to draw attention to the nation's need for a spiritual awakening.

The McKinneys are currently home in Harrison, Oklahoma, training for their "Walk to Reclaim America." The trek they are planning will carry them across some 2,800 miles to Washington, DC, by July 4. Joining them will be other concerned Christians who want to share their journey as they set out to "reclaim America" one step at a time.

The project has many aspects, says Our Heart's Rick McKinney. "We're going to be interceding for our country and its people. Lots of great spiritual awakenings have happened throughout history, but they all have begun with prayer, and so we're going to be praying for our country," he notes.

"And secondly," McKinney says, "we're going to be encouraging Christians and churches to stand up and be counted -- to let their voice be heard. We'll be doing that mostly through Reclaim America rallies. We'll be walking Monday through Saturday and then on Sunday we'll be stopping and having rallies in churches and city parks, and I'm sure there will be some spontaneous rallies that will break out throughout the week when we walk into a town."

The hope for this walk, the revival advocate notes, is that it will be "part of what God is doing to bring spiritual renewal in America." He says he and his wife are convinced the effort will help in three ways: through intercessory prayer for America; through encouragement of fellow Christians to begin living out their faith in visible ways; and through interaction with people from all walks of life as the couple and others involved in the walk open their hearts and share their faith.

The McKinneys' "Walk to Reclaim America" is slated to begin at the Santa Monica Pier in California and progress east, following old Route 66 through California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma. In Oklahoma City, they will leave Route 66 and follow the I-40 corridor through Eastern Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Tennessee, then head north through Virginia to Washington, DC.

© 2005 AgapePress all rights reserved.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I really love these kinds of stories because I grew up listening to evangelistic preachers who spread the Gospel. One preacher, who has a similar ministry, I heard when I was a kid was Arthur Blessitt who has walked all over the world carrying a 12 foot cross. I love talking to people about Christ, myself, so this story really inspired me.
I hope and pray that God will use me to spread the Gospel in a powerful way such as this one day.

[edit on 11/4/2005 by just me 2]

[edit on 11/4/2005 by just me 2]

Mod Edit: title

[edit on 4-11-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
its a good hearted deed and i wish them well.

More people ought to be doing this.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It's a good story, but I don't think it fits ATS.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I may tend to agree with you about it not fitting ATS.

However it would be a very nice story to remain in the NEWS area or to move its way to BTS.

Good story and nice submission.

You did do very nice work on compiling it.

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
All that energy spent walking could have built a couple houses for some homeless person, or tended lots of old people or the sick. Done something really helpful.

Sorry this seems like selfpromoting theater. I'm sure they will sell lots of books retelling their experiences so their next trip across country can be in a Mercedes-Benz.

Sorry about the cynacism but when Jim and Tammy used donations to buy a nine ft. tall brass giraffe; I tend to question the motives of the Christian notables or wanna bees.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
[edit on 4-11-2005 by 12 12 2012]

new topics

top topics

join