It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Universe, Space, Time, 'those' headaches.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
From what I've read on the physics that govern Space/Time, we understand that the light that we receive in our eyes has taken a specific amount of time to reach them and be processed by our brains. In the case of our Sun it is approximately 8 light minutes, in the case of our nearest star, Proxima Centauri (of the Alpha Centauri star system) it is 4.2 Light Years.

When we look at our Sun (Don't try it) we are seeing it 8 minutes ago, when we look at the Alpha Centauri star system we are looking at what it looked like about 4.2 years ago. It could have been wiped out in a Supernova 2 years ago I we won't even see it or detect it until at least another 2.2 years after!

The Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy is 25,000 light years away, it is colliding with our galaxy - The Milky Way - and is the nearest known galaxy at this time.

From the Southern Hemishpere, definately New Zealand, you can see the Large and Small Megellanic Clouds, these Dwarf Galaxies can be seen with the naked eye, not just as a 'dot' - I mean when you're out in the middle of nowhere they are large, faded 'blobs' of substantial size in the sky.
These are 160,000 and 190,000 light years (respectively) away from our star system.

That means when you look at any of those objects, even the large 'faded blobs' as I put it that dominate the clear night sky, you are respectively seeing them 25,000 - 160,000 - 190,000 - years ago.

Now I also read somewhere that some of our new telescopes that detect microwaves, amongst other things, also are capable of looking back until not long after the big bang. Well from what I make out - and it might be wrong - but you can look back in any direction and be looking back to just after the Big Bang. Well if we subscribe to the theory that the Big Bang originated from one 'point',in our common physics, then does that mean we are always looking back in time - to the beginning - therefore is it possible that we can potentially be looking back at ourselves somehow?

We know that everything in our known Universe is basically a repitition of itself on a greater or lesser scale, an Atom constitutes of a combination of Neutrons and/or Protons and is surrounded by varying number of Electrons in orbit.
These make up larger objects, such as our planet and others circling our Sun. Smaller forces succumbing to greater forces, to make up something bigger.

This is repeated in what is thought to be most Galaxies, including our own, where all the stars are basically orbiting and being 'sucked into' Supermassive black holes. Then we go out into the greater expanse of the universe - though do we?

The thing is we think we're 'looking out' but are we really 'looking in', if we can look back in any direction and see just after the big bang we are looking back into time. Does that mean we could or do look back on ourselves? But maybe just see our own galaxy a few million years ago?

But this would be bending the rules of known physics, but we think that things such as black holes can do this, they can warp and possibly fracture space/time. Maybe our galaxy along with the others is effectively doing the same thing on yet a bigger scale, maybe we are caught in something bigger than a black hole, something on a grander scale, maybe that explains the bending of the known laws of physics in what we observe when we look out.

We do know that when we look at or sense anything through our conventional senses that we are experiencing past events, the fastest impulses and stimuli we can receive are governed by the terminal speed of light. So what is real? The further we look, the more warped it becomes the further away it is from our perceived reality.

So when do things happen? When we see them? The fact that things can happen simultaneously within the known universe whould therefore mean that there could be the possibility of a link. If we can somehow break the boundary created by the terminal speed of light, and think out of the box and think of other ways, perhaps using groundbreaking new physics theories - finding the invisible 'bond' between particles as we understand them, the answer may even reside the theories behind Quantum Mechanics and actual sub-atomic particles such as Quarks themselves - then we may be able to harness the power of intersellar and time travel, to an extent at least. Maybe even 'simple' communication.
I'm sure our scientists are or have investigated these possibilities themselves, hopefully with professional funding and equipment!, but if we can think about these things, then we might come up with some breakthrough theories that could inspire and help mankind and our exploration of our universe.

[edit on 4-11-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well...there's a lot to digest in your post. The first thing that popped into my mind was the way Quarks pop into existance. If these particles appear into our universe out of nowhere, then did they exist in that nowhere before they appeared?

If they did exist prior to 'popping up' then it means that there are alternate universes (to my simple mind).

Now, if we were able to do what quarks do, then we could pop up anywhere in our universe, especially if it is curved. The latest models I've heard speculated about were like the inside skin of a balloon. Every bit of matter exists on a two dimensional plane on the inside of that sphere.

I just got my newest Scientific American, and Lo!...there is this article...

The Illusion of Gravity.
The force of gravity and one of the dimensions of space might be generated out of the peculiar interactions of particles and fields existing in a lower-dimensional realm.

Whoa!

Just imagine yourself popping into the universe so that you could see yourself at any point in the time of your life.

The article goes on to talk about how we live in a two dimensional universe and that the third is only illusion. Time, as the fourth dimension, is relative...one could say we always live in the moment and that time is also an illusion.

OK...my head is spinning...you should pick up that Nov 2005 edition, AS.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I never understood them looking back at the big bang.

I really don't think we could look back at it (the big bang). But when you said "looking back at ourselvs" It made me think, I think that if we could look back, we would have made sure to look at ourselvs to watch our own world grow. To answer questions all of us asked.

If we can look back at the big bang, we could look further, to see what caused the bang, two very large obects hitting creating all of what we can see, if thats the case the big bang didn't start everything, because of the two objects where ever they came from.

join