It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Thousands Protest Indian U.S Wargames

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4V4T4R
--puneetsg

And the comment about them being 'communal' is so far removed from the truth that it is not even worth commenting upon.

Though the parties themselves may not be communal (and thus communist in the true spirit of the word), the people of the area in fact are quite communal, as are many Hindu communities. Possibly this is part of why they have been linked to the communist (or Marxist) parties, along with the purpose of spreading continued western disinformation.

from my first post, a little history of the area...:
www.boloji.com...

What area are we talking about here? India as a whole? Then i am sorry to say that the page you linked is woefully inadequate. It does not even begin to give an idea to the reader of the history of India. Indian history is much more complicated than it has been portrayed in that page.

True Islam is a religion that was spread with the 'Sword & Fire'. But what you must remeber about India is that the country is so large and diverse, that the Sultans of Delhi (the rulers before the Moghal Emperors) never had the time or inclination to carry out forced conversions like they did in other parts of the World. Infact not until Aurangzeb did anyone attempt such an endeavour. Even Aurangzeb was able to do so because he inherited (stole is more like it) a large and stable empire from his father. Sure the Sultans burnt a few temples here and there but no lasting damage was done.

Again saying that Hindu's are communal is a generalisation of the highest order. Nobody denies communal tensions in the country but Hinduism (if there is such a thing) by and large is the most accepting of any religion in the World. Which other religion allows its followers to pray in Mosques, Gurudwaras, Dargahs & Churches without any effect whatsoever on their status as Hindus, and millions of Hindus do pray in these places on a regualr basis.

About 1/3 of the total Muslim population of the world resides in India. If Hindus were communal than this country would have been torn apart long back.

Laslty about the Left Parties. Recently there was a furore created in India because the Right-Wing Government of the BJP had ordered a re-write of the History text-books of grade X & XII. They wanted the textbooks to be more pro-hindu. Imagine a country in the overwhleming majority are Hindus has textbooks that are not Pro-Hindu (In actuality they are very well balanced in terms of their outlook and are very very resonable in thier interpretation of History) Guess who had drafted the history textbooks before the BJP came into power. The Left Historians (they promptly got their jobs back after the defeat of the BJP in the latest General Elections). This is just one example to show that the left parties are anything but communal.

Infact if anything I think the Indian Political establishment is too minority centric in their outlook. Affirmative Action. We just about invented it. First country in the World to use it on Staggeringly large scales. The situation has become such that in some places the only way to get a government job is if you are not a hindu.

This vote-bank politics has what has led to the rise of Hindu-Extremism. Dont get me worng it is hardly militant in its outlook, but still it is extremist in its nature. I myself belong to a minority community but think that if the politicians had been a little more even handed than we would have developed much much faster.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
--puneetsg

What area are we talking about here? India as a whole? Then i am sorry to say that the page you linked is woefully inadequate.

Gosh, do we all spend time trying to show each other how much we know? Why don't we stay on task here...

Obviously, the history article was not supposed to describe anything more than it does: the Bengal area, of which Kolkata is a primary city. And of course it focuses on recent history, because, like it or not, Marxism and communism are relatively new sensations on the timeline of history. THAT'S THE TOPIC, ISN'T IT?. Where did all this other crap come from?

So, what exactly was your post about....? If I knew nothing about Indian history, I could go read up on various points and toss banter back and forth with you, trying to prove how much I know blahblahblah. But does that have anything to do with the original topic?

And don't try to use the excuse that "knowing the ins and outs of the culture, their traditions, etc. will give us insight into who they are now". Granted, the entire history of Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, as well as different political leanings of the past century in India can perhaps show us something, but that broad of a picture shows us little about the people of the area around Kolkata!

Once again, these comments:

And the comment about them being 'communal' is so far removed from the truth that it is not even worth commenting upon.

and

Again saying that Hindu's are communal is a generalisation of the highest order.

show that you have little or no desire to discuss or research the topic at hand.

Nobody denies communal tensions in the country but Hinduism (if there is such a thing) by and large is the most accepting of any religion in the World. Which other religion allows its followers to pray in Mosques, Gurudwaras, Dargahs & Churches without any effect whatsoever on their status as Hindus, and millions of Hindus do pray in these places on a regualr basis.

tensions?!!!! Communalism is not bad. Misconception.

What exactly does this have to do with so-called "Marxists" protesting wargames in Kolkata?

And what, exactly, does it have to do with the fact that the people of the West Bengal province are hierarchically communal? I didn't say communist. In fact I said NOT communist except in the TRUE sense of the title.

These people are not communist. They are highly communal, but still rely heavily on a heirarchical caste system where the few rule the many with reward conditions for the ruled.

Though the parties themselves may not be communal (and thus communist in the true spirit of the word), the people of the area in fact are quite communal, as are many Hindu communities.

Communism is a secular political term used to describe an archetypical philosophy, and as thus, falls short of acheiving its goal. These people have acheived their cohesion through religion, not politics. So I hope that's not where there's a disagreement.

Perhaps you have a problem with my saying that many Hindu communities are communal (again, not communist, except in the true spirit of the term). This statement is 100% true. Do you not believe me? Please look it up. Even so, this statement was made primarily as a description of the regional society, not India as a whole (mainly because the topic is about a region of India).

If you decide to refute someone's statements, please stay on topic, and include links with your post so that, if they truly are mistaken, they can learn from the mistake. If not, it's quite hard to accept that you actually grasp the situation being discussed.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join