It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Violent protests break out at Americas Summit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Riots have broken out just a few blocks from the Americas Summit. The violence seems to be getting worse as this continues. I have been watching this for about 30 minutes and at first it was just protesting. Now it appears that it has turned violent. They have burnt banks, and are throwing molitove cocktails and shrapnel.
The violent protestors are shattering shopfront windows with wooden clubs and throwing rocks. They are very prepared. They have been expecting the tear gas and other riot procedures. The crowds have been chanting "Get out Bush." The people believe that Bush should not be in their country.

www.cnn.com
Protesters set one building on fire Friday and threw objects at police in the streets of this resort city as the leaders of 34 nations began the fourth Summit of the Americas.

Video showed flames and smoke on the bottom floor of one multistory building just blocks from the summit site.

CNN Producer Alec Mirian said that in response to the violence about 20 police officers showed up on motorcycles followed by officers on foot in riot gear.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems that there are more and more violent riots breaking out everyday. Is this a built rage that is being released or is more going on. I have to say so far from what I have seen the police there are being patient. Possibly too patient. This is definately an anit-American protest. A lot of people are burning paper American flags.

[edit on 4-11-2005 by K_OS]

[edit on 4-11-2005 by K_OS]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Watching the President heading back to his hotel in his motorcade. Bet the Secret Service is definitely puckered up now. Must be reassuring to know how well loved the President is.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
They are saying that they expected violence and looting. The fireworks are going off and people are just destroying buildings randomly.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Blitzer is so worthless. Everyone is an "anarchist" to that man.

The split screen is nice though. Leader's photo ops and Bush getting in his limo as the city burns blocks away.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I know it is like they have no idea what is going on. They are doing the "Class Photo" while the city is burning.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
There is some evidence that this protest/riot was staged, and not spontaneous. The photographers and TV cameras had set up their viewing stations before the crowds reached the area.

Supposedly the riot was co-sponsored by Chavez and that former soccer guy.

Someone here mentioned that it's nice to see how much our president is loved.

Can anyone here remember the last time a US president was welcomed down there?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
You know this is not good for our country if every time our president goes to another country to visit it causes mayhem and chaos.

I guess other countries right to protest are not as controlled as here in the US.

We will not have that kind of behavior in the US without getting homeland security to arrest the treat to our national security and tag them terrorist.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

The people think that Bush should not be in their country.

Well, I know how they feel...

Quoting Bush from the article:

He also said he viewed his participation in the summit as an "opportunity to positively affirm our belief in democracy and human rights and human dignity."

You know, if his actions only came within the same hemisphere as his words, he'd be a really great president! I think that's one of the reasons people get so angry. He doesn't come right out and say his truth. He covers it with a smirk, a joke and words that have no meaning.

I'm just so sad that there has to be violence...

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Even HE knows this. Why on earth is he going here and there promoting whatever he is promoting?
He is NOT free to travel like most of our other presidents.

He should stay put. If he were smart...

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The violence is now reported to be spreading into Buenos Aires.

I think this is perhaps a set up by Chavez supporters. 10,000 people demonstrated earlier in the day with no problems. Yet later in the day depending on which source you read 100 or up to 1000 turned violent :shk:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I think if I was bush, I would be just a tad worried that I'd get to one of these not so friendly countries with a not so friendly leader, and well, find myself arrested for warcrimes or something....

the way him and Chavez have been bantering about, well....can't help but find myself wondering just a tad...

what would happen if our president or vice president were to be taken into custody while on a foreign trip like this?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Chavez was instigating the crowd in Spanish by saying : Dont get too close to Bush, he wont like it
(in a mocking tone)

What in the heck is that man doing over there, anyway?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

what would happen if our president or vice president were to be taken into custody while on a foreign trip like this?

That would be considered an act of war and we all know where that would end up. Argentina would be our 52nd state.

dg, why is he down there? Attending a summit of countries that hope to promote and create the largest free trade organization in the world. As of now, I think 28 countries are attending. South America and North America.

Or do you mean why is Chavez down there?

Chavez has threatened to wreck all plans of this agreement. :shk:

[edit on 4-11-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
As a human being, i do have concerns for Bush. American presidents have always had some detrimental outcries, but this is not your average American president. Lets not kid ourselves.

I know he is doing his job (Bush)
but at this stage in the world game he should stay put. Send a double.

Hey, is there a Bush double? This is off the subject but they should have a nationwide search- just a thought. I'm always thinkin.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
argentina might eventually become our next state if such was to happen, but in the meantime, having Bush, Chaney of any of a number of other high-ranking members of the Bush administration in the custody of any number of governments in the world would be a huge security risk....

just look at how badly Rove had to be tortured to blow a CIA operation.....what would he have given under more extreme circumstances I wonder.

Maybe they should just stay home, until they are a little more popular in the world......just consider it as a consequence that occurs when you work so hard at angering the rest of the world...it becomes too dangerous to ride the camels in the deserts of the middle east like Hillary did... Really, having such a policy in place....to protect our elected officials and their administrations would reduce the budget or promote a more freindly, peacemaking nation since once you ticked a group of people off enough for you to cause such riots, well, you just don't go to those people's countries anymore, for your own safety, and of course, national safety concerns.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Anyone seen the movie "Escape from La"?
Bush strongly reminds me of the president in that movie.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
it does not take much sight to see those leaders and there policy agenda are not welcome to the people there.i say leave freetrade it is a dead policy and in the future there will be governments who will go to war over it.the fuse of softwood lumber in canada and other free trade problems around the world have made freetrade into greedtrade where no rules apply.lets go back to days of normal trade where the country that has something to sell may make a good price for it.i see nothing good come out of freetrade.it invades peoples choices and has created greed within the ranks...

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Pardon me for beign a tad suspicious of the legitimacy of the "protestors", and pardon me for questioning the productivity of burning down the shops of your friends and neighbors to show that you hate the American president. Oh, yeah, if they aren't your friends and neighbors, if you are just there to do the bidding of Chavez, I guess it is ok.

Seriously, this is so transparent, both sides must be in cahoots.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Although you all wish this was about Bush (I'm sure a lot of it is),
it is also true that crowds in the US and around the world have done the same.

Even when it was Bush's predecessor of beloved memory, Bill Clinton:

Seattle, 1999.
news.bbc.co.uk...

London, 1999.
news.bbc.co.uk...

In fact, in Clinton's day, they held NWO talks in Singapore, so that all protesters could simply be imprisoned before the media could see them;
www.consciouschoice.com...

Those of you with long memories (or a knowledge of the NWO) will remember that the WTO was originally called "GATT," but the name was changed due to excessive rioting whenever world leaders got together to plan this stuff.

The peaceful demonstrations are usually from anti-free-trade and nationalism or isolationism activists.

The riots are usually incited by far left/far right antigovernment types.

Again, I say "nothing new here."

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
And they wonder why their economy so bad. When you burn your own banks, business and property you are inhibitng the rate at which your economy ruins. What a bunch of stupids.

This is assuming that these people are burning paper American flags in protest of Bush and because they think he responsible, and the only one, for their bad status. Yes, I am right in assuming this.

new topics

top topics

join