It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 9th Circuit Court of Appeals Upholds School Sex Survey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals three judge panel upheld the use of a survey given by a Los Angeles area school to elementary school students that included questions about their sexuality, such as "[I] Can't stop thinking about sex," even over specific parental objections to the material. Although the school district voluntarily dropped the survey, this decision now allows schools to make such material available to students of all ages within the 9th Circuit without the need for parental consent or any parental ability to object. The parents are considering an appeal to an en banc session of the 9th Circuit or the U.S. Supreme Court.

www.alertnet.org
SAN FRANCISCO, Nov 2 (Reuters) - Parents have no constitutional right to prevent public schools from exposing children to sexual topics, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a lower court's decision that found the rights of parents were not violated by a California public school district that allowed a psychological survey of its elementary school children.

Among the survey questions asked of the children were 10 with sexual references, such as "Can't stop thinking about sex" and "Not trusting people because they might want sex."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it's pretty twisted that a public school would give such an explicitly sexual survey to such young students. And the 9th Circuit decision brings that court to a new low.

Hopefully this will be heard and reversed by the Supreme Court.

Related PTS Thread:
9th Circuit Court of Appeals Strikes Again

[edit on 11/4/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 11/4/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Wow,
What idiots the 9Th Court has proven themselves to be once again!

10 sexual questions directed to elementary school students such as

"Can't stop thinking about sex" and "Not trusting people because they might want sex."
I am sorry there are an extremely small number of elementary students who have reached puberty yet so questions such as the one above should not even been considered.
You also have to love their reasoning:

A three-judge panel held the parents have a right to inform their children as they wish about sex but do not have the right to prevent a public school from providing students with information it deems appropriate.

Maybe I am getting senile here buuuut..... what does asking these question have to do with what is taught? The school is seeking information from students they are not teaching!
I also have to question when the rights of the parents were to be overruled as to the appropriate topics in school? I hate to admit it but the rights of the parents have often lead to good education being squashed / ignored/ not addressed as being inappropriate. Did I miss the memo that this was no longer to be ?

new topics

join