It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever noticed....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Take a minute to think about this, really. How many people do you know have a cup of coffee in the morning, or to get "going"? Recently I started a new medication which required me to drop all caffeine. It's opened my eyes a little bit to noticing how much we consume that stuff. Everywhere I look, coffee is mentioned, well that tea, or cigarettes.

He who controls the caffeine controls the world? I don't know if any of you all have tried to stop having caffeine, but the withdrawal is about a week long, involving headaches, insomnia, and feeling like poo.

Yes I know this isn't the most well thought out post ever, but I wanted to let you think about that... how caffeine is such a huge part of our cultures, would there be any way to use that against us?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
No one person or company controls the worlds caffine supply. There are many many more sources of cafine than coffee and it would be near impossible to stop them all. Even if companies stopped producing caffine what would stop people from growing sugar cain, coffe beans or some other natrual source?

I drink coffee in the morning but only during the week when I'm at work. On the weekends when I don't drink any I feel just fine and it's not like I compensate with something else like soda. Does anyone know how long it takes to develop a caffine addiction?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I've been drinking coffee like a madman for a very long time. Anywhere from 6-12 cups a day. Unless I have sinus issues i.e. allergy or cold. Then for some reason, it just doesn't taste good to me. I can go a week or more with no caffeine and it doesn't bother me at all. I can also drink coffee at night and it doesn't keep me awake. I can't stand that Starbuck's stuff. I get a cup at the Marathon station on the way to work in the morning (60 cents, but there's no barrista:lol
. Drink Maxwell House all day. But if I don't have it, I really don't have any ill effects. Go figure.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Very good lead in.

I was recently in the hospital with a VERY life threatening situation.

I smoke (ed)
I use(d) HEAVY caffeine

I was in a near coma for about 4 and half days.

This allowed to be pretty much out for the entire witdrawal process.
I now no longer am a smoker or caffeine user.

I think it may be a conpsiracy. I feel so much better being off the junk as it were!

Thanks bleeding ulcer over an artery in my stomach, I am a changed conscious entity thanks to you!

- One Man Short

[edit on 4-11-2005 by One Man Short of Manhood]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Hey guys, You can tell I feel like talking tonight: as this is my third reply in a row. Very interesting tho"! I have a book called 'Caffeine Blues- Wake up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug' By Stephen Cherniske, M.S. Research and Clinical Nutritionist. It's very informative and well written. I like the authors writing style -not boring-.

I think that everyone's biochemistry and tolerances are different so what would give one person illness or withdrawal wouldn't effect someone less sensitive.

I , myself, in my 20's went on a regimented "hypoglycemic diet" and cut out all sugar, white flour, nicotine and caffienne. I never felt better in my life. Iwas an entirely different person. However, it was impossible to maintain. I got a second job in order to be self-sufficient and broke down and sucked up a coffee one nite before my second job. Anyway, interesting topic!

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I don't need caffeine after seeing onemanshort's avatar...

I just have to look at that and the shock scares my adreneline levels right up

nice to see you posting One Man......

the three main drinks in our culture are coffeee tea and coke..... all full of caffeine

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
If I don't have any caffeine in the morning, I get awful headaches. Seeing as how they easily turn into migraines, I figure that I should take my "cutting the impurities" out one thing at a time.

For instance, I am a non-smoker. Now. I quit on New Year's Day (at 12:01AM) in 2004. I promised myself not to restrict my diet so that I could deal with that withdrawal. And it was torture.

Now, I am cutting carbs out of my lifestyle so that I can begin to lose some weight that I put on from my quitting smoking escapade. And it is torture.

I will not cut caffene out of my life yet. Once this awful feeling I have from "quitting"carbs leaves (ugh...it has only been three long days!), I will takle cleaning up my caffeine use.

Will it make a difference? Who really knows? I know that I have few pleasures in life, and if I can get a legal, cheap "buzz" by chugging a 24 oz. mocha latte, then bring on the espresso.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'm not making this a specific thing, I just meant on the overall... Look at how many people drink so much coffee every workday. Now, would it be possible for someone to say, slip something in on the wide-scale? Probabaly not, but it is something to think about. Scary...

Rouschkateer, I know those 3 days very very well. I tried doing that for about 3 months, I lost a ton of weight (Yea, I'm a big guy) but most of it in the first 3 weeks. I was thinking about doing it for 4 weeks again, as lost time I lost about 45 lbs...

Anywho, I feel fine without caffeine, I can probably stay awake longer than most of you on it. I could always use a perk me up in the morning, but if I suffer through it a little, it goes a long way in the afternoon.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
About the only caffeine I drink is the occasional bottle of Mountain Dew. That stuff makes me jittery and anxious. Problem is I love it too much.

But at least I don't guzzle it down like an alcoholic on a binge.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
technical trouble. never mind.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I love coffee. I buy the darkest oily whole bean I can find, I then grind each potfull I make so it is at its peak of flavor. I then put in way to much half and half, but let me tell ya, it is the richest tastiest drink on the planet.

I dont know what I will do though, lately I have had some health problems and I hope I do not have to give up that delightful, decident, sinfully delicious brew!

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
I love coffee. I buy the darkest oily whole bean I can find, I then grind each potfull I make so it is at its peak of flavor.

Me, too! French Roast is great. I think though, drinking one cup per day is the trick to moderation. One strong, rich, expensive, decadent cup.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
I love coffee. I buy the darkest oily whole bean I can find, I then grind each potfull I make so it is at its peak of flavor. I then put in way to much half and half, but let me tell ya, it is the richest tastiest drink on the planet.

I dont know what I will do though, lately I have had some health problems and I hope I do not have to give up that delightful, decident, sinfully delicious brew!

That sounds about right LGM, but instead of half and half I use a mixture of evaporated milk and creamora. Now that, let me tell ya, is awesome. Unfortunately though, it will help you put on the pounds!

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Who would of ever thought that making some good ole Java could earn you ATS points.

The diversity of this site will never cease to amaze me.

Is there a better or more rewarding on-line community out there?
If there is don't tell me 'cause I don't wanna know!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Mmm, coffee. I like it so much, i put it in my avatar.
I'm lucky, I have "connections" in the "industry" that gets me some damn fine organic beans. Seriously though, one of the last times I went to the doctor, I was sitting in the waiting room watching the piped medical propaganda on the t.v., and they start doing a piece on how good coffee is for you! Then I go in see the doctor, mention I drink a bit of coffee and he say's that's FINE. It make's me wonder if the various alternating views in the media has anything to do with the coffee futures market? Hmm..

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Caffeine is said to be part of our evolution where we no longer rely up on the rotation of the sun. Instead we are preparing for living in artificial conditions on foreign planets.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Caffeine is said to be part of our evolution where we no longer rely up on the rotation of the sun. Instead we are preparing for living in artificial conditions on foreign planets.

Could you expand on that thought a little please? Like how does caffeine prepare us for living in artificial environment's? Please, I'm dying to know?

thanks

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by articulateka0s

I don't rely on the sun, it's currently.... about 11:30 am here, and it could be 4 am to me. Coffee is in everything, movies, commercials just everywhere. I don't think there's an adult in the country who's never heard of a cup in the morning, like a wake-me-up or a cup of joe, or java-time.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It's a fact that eating an apple rather than having a coffee in the morning will give you more of a kick-start.

Probably the sugar i guess.

top topics

join