It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Texas Death Row Inmate Walks Out of Jail

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
A man sentenced to death in Texas escaped today from a Houston-area jail, after somehow obtaining civilian clothing, a fake ID and simply walking out the front door. The 35 year-old man, Charles Victor Thompson, was recently re-sentenced to death for killing his ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend after a successful appeal of his sentence. He may have had some inside help from a jail employee in escaping, since it's hard to believe he'd be able to do this on his own.

www.foxnews.com
HOUSTON — A Texas death row inmate somehow found some civilian clothing, changed out of his orange jumpsuit and used a fake ID badge to escape late Thursday from the Harris County Jail.

Charles Victor Thompson, 35, of Tomball, was in Houston after being re-sentenced last week to execution.

"He managed to get some civilian clothing. He had changed out of the orange jumpsuit that inmates ordinarily wear," Harris County sheriff's Lt. John Martin said in the online edition of the Houston Chronicle. "He may have been taken out of the cell block and put in the attorney booth in the guise of having an attorney visit."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is the second major jail break this week. This man is probably quite dangerous, so our Texan members should be on the lookout for him.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Sad that our prisons are that lax with death-row inmates.
On the other side maybe he wanted to get out so he could watch "prison break" on fox in high definition!

Interesting ain't it?
You air a show about breaking out of prison and then people start breaking out of prison
Goes to show the power of subliminal messaging IMO.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This had to be an inside job and someone had to help him. I find it too convenient that he had civilian clothes to change into, although I could be wrong.

Just a thought but perhaps some of the jail keepers or janitors working inside the jail are illegals who can be bought off real cheap.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Just a thought but perhaps some of the jail keepers or janitors working inside the jail are illegals who can be bought off real cheap.

Yeah, yeah, it's the illegals, they're the only ones that can be bought off.

Are you sure it wasn't Bush or Clinton? They get blamed for everything too.

I agree though, he had to have help.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
wait im confused... how did he appeal his sentence and win , then they turned around and changed it back to the death penalty???

isn't that a kind of double jeopardy???

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I guess the Appeals Court found some problem with the way he was sentenced and ordered the lower court to resentence him.

It's certainly not double jeopardy, that would only occur if a jury found him not guilty and the government put him on trial again for the same act.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by shots

Yeah, yeah, it's the illegals, they're the only ones that can be bought off.

Are you sure it wasn't Bush or Clinton? They get blamed for everything too.

I agree though, he had to have help.

Nah Bush is busy in Argentina and rumors say Billy boy has a new monica keeping him busy

It is also known that there are many illegals working in Texas government positions and I was not trying to blame them although it may appear that way. I was simply giving a possible explanation as to how he might have gotten out.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Got to be said...lol

This wouldn't have happened if "W" was still Govenor.

Phae

apc

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones
Sad that our prisons are that lax with death-row inmates.

He was in a county jail, not prison... biiiiiiig difference.

I'd like to know why he was hanging out in said jail. Jails are... basically... weak. Easily escaped by someone with the kahoonahs to take the risk.

Was he awaiting transfer back to death row holding? If so... why was he waiting for a week?!

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
As far as i know, and whatr I have experienced and heard first hand from people I was locked up with in Tampa, you dont actually go to Prison until you are convicted of your crime. If you are not allowed bail and are still facing trial, they will keep you in the county jail. I knew a guy that was in the county jail for three years waiting for the trial to end.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If he was in country jail then how was he on death row?
I thought death row was the cellblock before the execution chamber.
It said he was re-sentenced to death so WTH was he still in a county jail?
There's something seriously worng with this picture here.

Everything's bigger in texas, even their screw-ups

[edit on 4-11-2005 by mrjones]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
he was in a county jail being held for another trial that was taking place.
bad buisness this

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
soo... is he still out on the lam or did they catch him again? it definately takes some guts to pull something off like that.. but then again, if you're sentenced to death, what can they possibly do worse if they caught him in the act?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Something the media isn't saying is he most likely used his Texas Department of Criminal Justice - Institutional Division Identification to escape! Texas Inmates are require to keep this card at all times or face penalties.

This ID is laminated, contains the cons' picture, and has a magnetic tape on the back. The TDCJ - ID is also the same size as a Texas ID or Drivers License and the picture is in the same place and the same size on front. A girl I know says TDCJ and the (Texas Department of Public Safety which issues state IDs and Drivers Licenses) both use the same machine to make the cards.

Also the convict came back to Harris County on a bench warrant to be resentenced and his conviction was never overturned.

He was entitled to wear civilian clothes before the judge. He most likely put his prison jumpsuit on over his civilian clothes, flashed his prison ID, and walked out the door.

I'm sure the police and the County Jail as well as TDCJ are not releasing this info because if this convicted killer who has nothing to loose kills or hurts someone else, it could draw civil liability to them if the new victim sues and if the killer used his TDCJ - ID card to escape.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It doesnt seem to me that he will kill again... it looks as if his crime was a crime of passion and not serial killer like or anything like that... i mean he killed his ex-gf and her current bf... that just shouts crime of passion to me.

cjf

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrjones
Everything's bigger in texas, even their screw-ups

Right! heck, no one has ever escaped from a jail before this right?

"He managed to get some civilian clothing. He had changed out of the orange jumpsuit that inmates ordinarily wear," Martin said. "We don't know exactly where he got that from."………

………. prisoners are not allowed to have any physical contact with visitors. Investigators were questioning any jail employees Thompson might have come into contact with before his escape.

"It definitely suggests that this was preplanned and strongly suggests he had help in making his escape," Martin said.
Houston Chronicle

BTW, not pertaining specifically to this case, but have you considered the amount of influx prisoners from our neighbor and closed Texas county jails to the south east? Texas’s incarceration security is stretched. How soon we forget.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
It wasn't a crime of passion because the police were called to the scene and he said he would leave during a dispute between him and his girlfriend in Tomball. He left and 3 and 1/2 hours later came back and killed them.

I live 7 miles from the jail where he escaped and my house is next to the freeway. If he comes to my door I'll blow his passionate head off.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
am i the only one who wants to know how the hell a death row inmate was allowed to just walk right out of jail?!

i mean seriously, i know he had civilian clothes, but come on!

how hard would it be for the gaurds to keep some sort of log of the death row inmates to prevent this? are there really that many of them in one place?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
He escaped do to a 100% breakdown in security at the jail which is now endangering everyone most importantly the victims families. I still think he just wore his court clothes, flashed his TDCJ ID at the guard, and walked out. I don't think he had help.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGuirk
It doesnt seem to me that he will kill again... it looks as if his crime was a crime of passion and not serial killer like or anything like that... i mean he killed his ex-gf and her current bf... that just shouts crime of passion to me.

Apparently he's threatened the victims' family members, witnesses, and even drew up a "hit list" of people he'd like to go after for revenge, so I wouldn't call him harmless so easily.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join