It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "kinder, gentler" America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
For years, there have been many people who have decried the American military build-up and "war machine". Especially since the fall of the Soviet empire, people have questioned the need for American military supremacy. I pose this hypothetical question; If the US were to simply disarm what would happen?

If the US simply disarmed and placed all of their military investitures into building, maintaining and advancing their infrastructure, science and technology what would be the result? If the US simply pulled out all of their military presence from around the world, disbanded their active military and established a "peace force" would the world follow suit? What if the US "apologized" for all of their international transgressions and started off on a new direction of global benevolence?

Would the world simply accept the "new" US or would "the forces that be" try to persecute the US for "past crimes"? Would the global military build - up still continue unabated or would the world, unilaterally, disarm to harbor in an era of global peace and cooperation?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
My guess is that China would fight to become the number one. The US would eventually be attacked for it's past problems. We would be destroyed economically either by terrorists, or loss of trade abilities. I doubt the world would convert their swords to plows.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
For years, there have been many people who have decried the American military build-up and "war machine".

That reminds me of that nena song 99 redballoons.
It's 80 but the message is still prevelant today.

You and I in a little toy shop, buy a bag of balloons with the money we got, set them free at the break of dawn, til one by one they were gone.

Back at base, bugs in the software flash the message,
"Something’s out there."

Panic lads, it's a red alert, there's something here from somewhere else.
The war machine springs to life, opens up one eager eye.
Focusing it on the sky, ninety-nine red balloons go by.

Ninety-nine Decision Street, ninety-nine ministers meet.
To worry, worry, super-scurry, call the troops out in a hurry.
This is what we've waiting for, this is it boys, this is war.
The president is on the line as ninety-nine red balloons go by.

Ninety-nine knights of the air, riding super-high-tech jet fighters.
Everyone's a super hero, everyone's a Captain Kirk.
With orders to identify, to clarify and classify.
Scrambling in the summer sky, as ninety-nine red balloons go by.

Ninety-nine red balloons go by.

Ninety-nine dreams I have had, every one a red ballon.
Now it's all over and I'm standin' pretty, in this dust that was a city.

If I could find a souvenir, just to prove the world was here...
And here is a red balloon, I think of you and let it go.

---------------------
This song brings words to mind that can currently correlate with the state of this current country, such as paranoia, bush eagerness to start a war, fear, and sadness.

new topics

join