It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven Fires - William Commanda

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
William commanda, is the keeper of the Seven Fires Prophecy Belt. It has come down to him, through other keepers, from at least the 1400's and perhaps even from beyond since I have seen it mentioned to be over 1000 years old. The prophecy was made hundreds of years before the coming of the Europeans.

It is an actual artifact. The wide belt is made of beads sewn into a pattern representing the Seven Fires Prophecy and can be seen in the pdf file below the prophecy.

This is the Prophecy of the Seven Fires...

Seven Prophets appeared to the people. The First Prophet told the people that in the time of the First Fire they would leave their homes by the sea and follow the sign of the megis. They were to journey west into strange lands in search of an island in the shape of a turtle. This island will be linked to the purification of the earth. Such an island was to be found at the beginning and at the end of their journey. Along the way they would find a river connecting two large sweet water seas. This river would be narrow and deep as though a knife had cut through the land. they would stop seven times to create villages but they would know their journey was complete when they found food growing on the water. If they did not leave, there would be much suffering and they would be destroyed. And they would be pursued and attacked by other nations along the way so they must be strong and ready to defend thremselves.

The Second Prophet told them they could recognize the Second Fire because while they were camped by a sweet water sea they would lose their direction and that the dreams of a little boy would point the way back to the true path, the stepping stones to their future.

The Third Prophet said that in the Third Fire the Anishinabe would find the path to the lands prepared for them and they would continue their journey west to the place where food grows on water.

For more info, see their Facebook page and their new website.

edit on 26/11/11 by masqua because: trimmed external quote

edit on 14/9/12 by masqua because: updated url

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
At the very beginning of the prophecy is this remarkable statement;

The First Prophet told the people that in the time of the First Fire they would leave their homes by the sea and follow the sign of the megis. They were to journey west into strange lands in search of an island in the shape of a turtle. This island will be linked to the purification of the earth.

Turtle Island is the Anishinabe name for North America. If they 'left their homes by the sea' and travelled west to find Turtle Island, does it mean they left islands on the the eastern shore of North America or some other place a little further east? It seems ridiculous that they would seek an island if they were living within sight of the mainland.

On the pdf file, page 4, is written the migration took place 10,000 years ago and involved 10,000 canoes with 20 people on each. A migration of 200,000 people.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

In this time there will be a new people who will emerge from the clouds of illusion. They will retrace their steps to find the treasures that had been left by the trail. The stories that had been lost will be returned to them.

I find this to be another very interesting section in the prophecy, especially with the knowledge that this story comes down to us from, at least, the 1400's.

The New People mentioned, emerging from the 'clouds of illusion', seem to my mind extra terrestrial. But, reading it carefully shows that these 'new people are 'retracing their steps to find treasures left by the trail'. Does that not sound remarkably close to the same legends of the Sumerians?
Are these new people coming back to the earth in a cyclic way? It seems a nice fit with the Mayan calendar as well, insofar as to the timing of their return.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I received the following poster from Circle of Nations, which is Dr.William Commanda's website. I am in the process of obtaining more information through email as well as snail mail and also hope to visit his office.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3f3af67d4d7e.jpg[/atsimg]

On the right side you see three belts...the center long one with the 7 diamond shapes is the Seven Prophets of the Seven Fires. In the center is William Commanda himself. The poster is in commemoration of an honourary degree he received recently from the University of Ottawa.

[edit on 4-11-2005 by masqua]

[edit on 10/3/09 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua The First Prophet told the people that in the time of the First Fire they would leave their homes by the sea and follow the sign of the megis.

What is a 'Megis'?

The "Megis" was one of the primary symbols that represents the Medawewin religion. The Megis is a little shell called a cowry shell. The word "Cowry" was derived from a Hindu word and is defined as "Any of various tropical marine mollusks of the family Cypraeidae, having glossy, often brightly marked shells, some of which were used for money in the South Pacific and Africa.

link

Another hint that the roots of the Anishinabeg peoples are connected to more than the North American continent.

There has been very little written about these people, for reasons I'd rather not discuss, but Selwyn Dewdney, a Canadian researcher (now deceased) has written a book called; 'Sacred Scrolls of the Southern Ojibway' which goes into great detail on their migration and Creation legends as they are 'written' on birchbark scrolls. I am lucky enough to have this very rare book in my possesion through the generosity of his grand daughter. As relevant details emerge, I will add them to this thread.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The thousands of purple beads by which the Seven Prophets of the Seven Fires wampum belt was made are from the quahog, a hard shelled clam which has purple markings on its interior surface. The beads manufactured were used as money by Native Americans before the European colonists arrived. The skills which produced these tiny beads are now unknown.

I received a book from Circle of All Nations in Kanata, Ontario, which has many interesting details about the belt, but I am waiting for the permission to quote from it. It arrived last Thurday in my snail mail and I've emailed their office for the authority to do so. This book, recently issued, has copyright under ISBN# 0-9738693-0-5 and was printed in Canada.

Reading through the opening pages, I was struck by a reference to Credo Mutwa, an elder Zulu shaman who William Commanda visited in South Africa. Credo said to him that the same prophecy of the Seven Fires is held by his people as well. The link provides a lengthy interview between Mutwa and Rick Martin of The SPECTRUM with the assistance of David Icke, (who we at ATS all love and admire, don't we?).

Upon closer inspection of the 600 year old belt itself, since I now have a better photograph in the book, I can see that there are seven diamond shapes of white beads upon a field of purple. The center symbol is in fact two diamond shapes closely superimposed and are the promise of unity at the center of the belt. Therefore, there are actually 8 diamond shapes which correspond better to the Eigth Fire Prophecy, which will be lit if we take the road to peace and reconciliation.

Interestingly, Elder William notes the events of September 11, 2001, as being the moment in time when the light skinned race were given a choice between those two roads.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
I am waiting for the permission to quote from it. It arrived last Thurday in my snail mail and I've emailed their office for the authority to do so. This book, recently issued, has copyright under ISBN# 0-9738693-0-5 and was printed in Canada.

I've just received confirmation from the Circle of All Nations office that I may quote what I would like from Elder Commanda's book. This is great news!

Perhaps the best place to start would be a cronology of his key activities;

1913 Born in Kitigan Zibi, Manitiwaki, Quebec; Great-grandson of Pakinawatik, the Algonquin Chief who led his people from the Lake of Two Mountains to settle in the Ottawa River area in the mid eighteen hundreds; he was Keeper of several Algonquin Wampum Shell Belts which held records of prophecies, history, treaties and agreements.

1020-40s Trapping, guiding, logging, birch bark canoe making, Algonquin arts and crafts.

1945 Involvement with the North American Indian Nation Government.

1951-70 Algonquin Chief, River Desert Band.

1971 Appointed Keeper of three Algonquin Wampum Belts: the Seven Fires Prophecy, the Jay Treaty and the 1700 Welcoming/Agreement Belts.

1981 Demonstrated building of a birchbark canoe for Queen Margrethe of Denmark; promoted understanding of the history, culture and plight of north American Indians in Denmark.

1987 Commenced public hearings on the messages of the Wampum Belts at the fourth First Ministers Conference on Inherent Rights and Self-Government for Aboriginal Peoples, chaired by Prime Minister Mulroney.

1990 Participated in the blessing of the Human Rights Monument in Ottawa with the Dalai Lama.

1991 Conducted Pipe Ceremonies at a 3 day United Nations Conference hosted by President Mitterand of France.

1993 Delivered Prophesy messages, together with 27 Indigenous spiritual leaders, to 350 United Nations delegates at United Nation Cry of the Earth Conference.

1995 Spiritual leader of the Sunbow 5 Foundation Prayer Walk, which brought together representatives of the five symbolic races of man (red, white, yellow, black and brown) whose concern for the healing of the Earth surpassed racial or religious divisions- a seven and a half month unity 'Walk for Mother Earth', from the Atlantic to the Pacific Oceans.

1996-97 Outreach and linkages with traditional spiritual leaders from Central, South and North America.

1997 Made presentation on the Seven Fires prophecy and Aboriginal beliefs and issues at the Funia Conference in Japan.

1998 Spiritual leader for 'Elders without Borders' Gathering of Indiginous Elders and Spiritual Leaders of the Americas and Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal peoples around Ottawa, Ontario.

1998 Recipient of the Wolf Project Award for promoting racial understanding.

2000 Organized the Circle of All Nations Millinnium International Peace Gathering. Recipient of the Harmony Award for promoting intercultural understanding and harmony. Participated in the United Nations Peace Summit, New York. Honoured in opening of The Canadian Canoe Museum.

2001 Peace Pipe Ceremony and presentation at the International Fields of Conflict-Fields of Wisdom Constellation Congress in Germany. Participated in peace building efforts and conferences in South Africa during the World Conference Against Racism. Launch of Legacy Display at Canadian Canoe Museum.

2002 Indiginous Elders Gathering in New Mexico Justice Award. University of Ottawa Peace Building Workshops at Shivananda Yoga Ashram Center in Bahamas.

2003 Peace Award, Friends of Peace, Ottawa.

2004 Bill Mason National River Conservation Award

Just prior to the publication of the book, learning from a Kindergarten Dropout, Elder William Commanda received an Honorary Degree from the University of Ottawa for his work.

He is presently 91 years old. If anyone has questions on any part of the Seven Fires Prophecy, please ask...if I can't find the information in the book, I'll be happy to email Circle of All Nations. Their website is here.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Just Thank You Masqua.
I have no reply, I believe I am of the "new" people and so are many of my friends.
WIS

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
thank you for putting this all together Masqua

Interestingly, Elder William notes the events of September 11, 2001, as being the moment in time when the light skinned race were given a choice between those two roads.

Does the Elder or anyone else claim to know which road was taken?

I have my opinion on which one but wondered if they had anything to say or confirm my beliefs.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
worldwatcher,
I believe the choice has not yet been completely made. What has happened in both Afghanistan and Iraq can be tied to the WTC events, it's true, but they can be seen as actions to root out the person/persons that have been 'fingered' as the perpetrator/s. So far, this has not caused an outright threat of global war.

The choice is; are we going to squander our efforts and money to making war or are we going to start cleaning our water, air and soil? I know it doesn't look good, but things are changing quickly too.

There is an opposition to war which is growing in the world, as well as an increasing concern for the environment, which tells me that there is still hope. If the strongest of the nations can refrain from lashing out blindly and be satisfied with justice rather than revenge, then, perhaps, we can begin to change our ways by focussing our efforts on balancing our needs with the needs of nature.

What Elder Commanda thinks now, I'll have to ask of him. This is the reason I'm planning to make the trip to Kanata, where he lives.

When I find out anything at all, I'll add to this thread, you can be sure.

WIS...you're welcome. You and your friends, and all the people that are becoming aware of the amazing time we really are living in, are the voices calling for a better future.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
In the book sent to me from Circle of All nations, there is a short discussion about the events of 9/11. I have also sent an email to his office asking the question worldwatcher poses. When I get an answer back, I'll post it here.

Quoting from page 52 of the book 'Learning from a Kindergaten Dropout...

In the mid-nineteen nineties, William met Eddie Benton Banai, the Ojibwe Elder from Bad River, Minnesota, at a conference in Peterborough, Ontario. the Ojibwe Elder was making a presentation on the Seven Fires Prophecy, and his graphic presentation reflected the key ideas that were associated with the sacred wampum belt William carries. After the presentation, William showed him the Belt. Is this the Belt you are talking about? he asked. The elder was greatly moved and told how the story of the seven prophets had come to him in a vision. He wrote this vision down. William shares this written version of the prophecy when he shows the sacred wampum belt, since it captures the oral history so graphically.

But, of course, since it is an oral heritage that the prophecy emerges from, and since it is a live entity, it also continues to speak its messages in a vibrant way to its carrier. Thus William states that 11 September 2001 was the pivotal marker in the history of the Belt and this lends a tremendous urgency to his work.

In 2000, we developed the logo for William's Circle of All Nations. William himself took the photograpf of the four-direction tree in the logo and the design was executed by indigenous artist Claude La Tour. It was a towering spruce tree in a park in Kanata; emerging from one base, four seperate trees thrust their lofty heads into the sky, far above all the other trees in the area. At one level, we saw it as representing the union of the four symbolic races of man. We note in our brochure that the eastern tree fell on the first of July, 2001, Canada Day. That was ominous to us. William had serious misgivings. Shortly after, on September 11, the world was thrown into a global turmoil and terror of a nature unknown before, with an unmistakable hardening of racism. Around the middle of November, 2003, the rest of the huge spruce tree fell. We have only seen an escalation in violence, fear and racism over the past years, but it seems like this is only the beginning. For us, the tree was the prime symbol of the indigenous vision of interconnectedness, and as we developed our logo for the Circle of All Nations, it seemed the appropriate emblem to usher in the United Nations Decade for a Culture of Peace. No one mentions this United Nations program anymore

End of quote from the book...

The logo mentioned can be seen at the top of the poster in the fourth post of this thread.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Masqua
But for those of us with "pale" skin ( I often feel the shame of my race) is there no rescue should we not all change our path? Are we doomed all? What of those who truely feel the calling and walk it?
I read the Credo Mutwa interview months ago, very good, but soo long, I find this more down to earth and comprehencable.
I do not know if you wish to hear personel spiritual statements of experienses about the condition of our Mother Earth?
WIS

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WalkInSilence
Masqua
But for those of us with "pale" skin ( I often feel the shame of my race) is there no rescue should we not all change our path?

Even for those who take the path to war, ignoring the warnings evident in the changing environment, closing their minds to unity and peace...there is still the hope of a continued existence. It is the 'way of life' which is doomed if we do not find a balance with the world we live in. The effects of poisoned waters and air affect all of us. The earth that we sow our seeds in, if it becomes barren, will starve us all, regardless of our feelings.
It has been my experience that having a 'pale' skin does not matter. If we are among truly non-racist people, the colour of the skin becomes a non-issue.
I was born in Holland just after the second world war and a man I never met was my father. What I do know is that he was from Winnipeg, in Canada, and rumour has it that he was part Cree. This is my only tie to the Native American. I could easily deny this heritage and just say I'm white.
The point is...without ever mentioning this 'deep secret' to the NA's I have come to know, I became their friend, was accepted into certain rituals (weddings, sweatlodge) and have taken the offer to smoke the regional ceremonial pipe as a sign of brotherhood.
You see, WIS, it doesn't matter at all what colour your skin is...

Are we doomed all? What of those who truely feel the calling and walk it?

No, I don't believe we are all doomed, even in the worst case scenario. But, I believe there is a better future with less agony if we try to improve our relationships with each other and begin to care about the harm we are causing to the environment. Things are going to change...the earth will balance things out herself, if needs be. How we each act individually is more important than how governments act. Perhaps reaching out to others and telling them how you see things is the best way to 'walk' the path. There are an exceptional number of Native American websites out there...maybe communicating with them is a good start. Remember, though, that there are 'angry' people on all sides and be ready for accusations. I've seen my share of this anger too.

I read the Credo Mutwa interview months ago, very good, but soo long, I find this more down to earth and comprehencable.
I do not know if you wish to hear personel spiritual statements of experienses about the condition of our Mother Earth?
WIS

The Prophecy is very straightforward, WIS...there are no long-winded explanations in it at all. How we align ourselves when we read about it is easily done.

As far as personal spiritual statements concerning the condition of Mother Earth, I can think of no better place than a thread about the Seven Fires Prophecy.

And, please remember this...you do not have to feel shame for your race. What is important is what you think or do now and put the baggage of the past behind you.

Black Elk, an Oglala Sioux Holy Man said this;

"I was seeing in a sacred manner the shape of all shapes as they must live together like one being.
And I saw that the sacred hoop of my people was one of many hoops that made one circle, wide as day-light and as starlight, and in the centre grew one mighty flowering tree to shelter all the children of one mother and one father. And I saw that it was holy."

edited for grammer

[edit on 1-12-2005 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I love reading your posts. I wish like minded people could start a new country. No law no rule just love and "is". When people put so much thought,red tape what have you it causes so many problems ay know.
Many times I have thought of moving to Mexico since there are many simple vilages there...I agre in your one post abpit how one thought can go a long way. I like most people probally feel uncomfortable talking about or doing prayer or meditation but I wish more people would we could get so much more done in this world.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by japike
I love reading your posts.

Thanks, much appreciated.

I wish like minded people could start a new country. No law no rule just love and "is". When people put so much thought,red tape what have you it causes so many problems ay know.

I understand what you're saying, japike...it would be great if everyone around you were of the same way of thinking, the perfect ideal of 'loving one another' being the foundation of such a society. The thing is, though, that there is both good and bad in everything and we can't escape it. We only can balance it.
For instance, following the information I've so far gathered from Elder William as he is talking about the Native American way as compared to the European way;

from the book, Learning from a Kindergarten Dropout The newcomers from Europe were accustomed to heirarchical control, with the church, royalty and military assuming the predominant roles. The French were accustomed to supreme leaders whose decisions were obeyed by all. In their era of colonization, the British endorsed the military style of command leadership. Women in Europe had no power or voice on the public stage. It was this style of leadership that was endorsed in the governance of the new country.

This was sure to cause much grief with the NA way, since it sidelined the voice of the indigenous women here. They had always had an equal voice among their people and with the new way of government, they were suddenly sidelined. The European wife, as well, had no voice in politics until early in the 20th century and it is still a struggle for them to be taken seriously even after nearly 100 years! But the situation of the indigenous women was even harder, because the Canadian Government succeeded in seperating children from their mothers, forcing them to go to distant schools and European families in a heartless attempt to break up their way of life. (but that is another story in itself)

The point I'm making out of this, is that, regardless of the government's deliberate attempts, they could not totally stamp out the bonds between family and tribe, no matter how ruthless the laws were. It is how they personally fought to keep contact with their children which made the difference and now things are improving. The loss of the native languages has almost been complete as well, and yet there are those who work hard to keep them intact and alive. Personal efforts do make a difference...

Many times I have thought of moving to Mexico since there are many simple vilages there...I agre in your one post abpit how one thought can go a long way. I like most people probally feel uncomfortable talking about or doing prayer or meditation but I wish more people would we could get so much more done in this world.

I live in such a village myself, a goodly distance from any small city. But, even here, there is the kind of thinking which causes so much harm to the environment. We have 'factory farming' where pigs, poultry and cattle rarely see the light of the day and they are fed whatever makes them grow fat the quickest. The liquid manure is spread directly on the fields without mixing with straw, so that when it rains hard, the creeks are filled with the mess. It also gets into the groundwater and winds up in the wells where people drink from. I don't know if you've heard of the Walkerton Tradgedy, but that town lost a number of people to eColi contamination.

What I mean is; I don't think it's possible to find a quiet place somewhere and escape what's happening to the world. We have to face up to how we have contributed to the problem and then make the changes on a personal level. For certain, by cutting back on things we don't need to do, like driving our cars to the variety store 2 blocks away to buy batteries for useless toys, which will, in no time at all, be in a landfill, we can each help in a small way.

It's impossible to suddenly switch from the lifestyle we've grown accustomed to. We need to meditate, like you say, on how we can improve the way we impact our environment, and then try do so a bit at a time. If we can teach our children by example, then change will happen at an increasing rate, imo.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Dear Masqua
I don't know how to put this in writeing so it sounds whole, but I will try because perhaps others have had simular a experiense and no matter how small I believe it is important.
My husband and I have moved here, the US, from "the old" continent, we are both healers but do not practice as such but have "secular" jobs. He is a quit man slow to express emotions, I hadn't spoken of the readings Our Mother Earth gave me when we first came, of great pain and yearning to communicate with Her children. One evening while he was here 9 months ago( had to go back, immigration) he began to speak of how the earth talked to him. Slowly he revealed that he could feel a tremendous pain that the Earth was devistated by the abuse that we are murdering her, sobbing he went on about the pain and the need to make this right.
I have never seen him express anything with such urgency, comeing from his tightly closed mouth it was a revelation.
We are not special, just adding a tiny tale to the big picture.
WIS

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WalkInSilence
We are not special, just adding a tiny tale to the big picture.

Thanks for bringing us this message, WIS. You know, you're only a hop, skip and jump away from me. A hop across the UP, a skip onto Manitoulan Island and a jump onto the Bruce Peninsula. *waves*

I've vacationed near Eagle River with my wife and I'm in love with the people and forests of Northern Wisc. I especially am fond of the Sylvan Forest where we did some canoeing. Old growth fascinates me like nothing else.

I'd like to reflect what your husband feels with a quote from a message Elder William wrote to Chris Corrigan in BC...

...it seems like we are scarcely heeding the messages of Mother Earth, and her process of cleansing is taking on greater strength. In the last century, we have managed to inflict ninety percent of the damage to Mother Earth, altering climate and weather patterns, and as she grows sick, so do all her children. We all experience this in physical and emotional turmoil as new diseases invade our environment and our lives and we look in vain for peace.

(see link below)

I'm sure that you can see that Elder William would understand what you have said. Your husband and yourself are not alone.

We all may not be special individually, but we are far from insignificant together.

Link

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
not much more to say

props on your dedication to this topic

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Wow Masqua
The sad face is because my WHOLE previous letter was deleted, Darn.
Well it is a beautiful place you live I have passed it many times by plane, our friends live on the UP so I try to get a look of the area when I pass.
Our first choice to have our real wedding is "in" Eagle River next Jordan River or Heart River as it is called.
I will tell my husband of the message from Elder William it will comfort him.
We have chosen N. WIS because it is so magical, people are alive, we have bear, wolf, eagle.
I know many people here, already, who listen to the Earth, ordinary people, I have just moved here and I am amazed how awake this area is.
Stay Warm WIS

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

props on your dedication to this topic

Thanks, madnessinmysoul.

I've really just begun to scratch the surface on this subject. I'm convinced, like the distinguished person I keep quoting and the message he is focussed on, that the final pieces are falling into place now.

I'm also certain of the old adage; 'fore-warned is fore-armed'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join