It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S Used World As Chemical Weapon Dumping Ground

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Records obtained by the Daily Press from a 2001 report show that the U.S secretly dumped 64 million pounds of mustard and nerve gas into the ocean after world war 11. The weapons also included 400 000 chemical filled bombs, 500 tons of radioactive waste, land mines and rockets that were dumped off the shores of the countries they were used by US forces in. In 2004 a clam dredging operation off New Jersey hauled up an old artillery shell which was filled with a black tar like substance which was mustard gas in solid form and three bomb disposal technicians sent in to dismantle it were later injured, one of them hospitalized with pus filled blisters on his arm.

www.dailypress.com

Barge piled high with mustard gas

The Army now admits that it secretly dumped 64 million pounds of nerve and mustard agents into the sea, along with 400,000 chemical-filled bombs, land mines and rockets and more than 500 tons of radioactive waste - either tossed overboard or packed into the holds of scuttled vessels.

A Daily Press investigation also found:

These weapons of mass destruction virtually ring the country, concealed off at least 11 states - six on the East Coast, two on the Gulf Coast, California, Hawaii and Alaska. Few, if any, state officials have been informed of their existence.

The chemical agents could pose a hazard for generations. The Army has examined only a few of its 26 dump zones and none in the past 30 years.

The Army can't say exactly where all the weapons were dumped from World War II to 1970. Army records are sketchy, missing or were destroyed.

More dumpsites likely exist. The Army hasn't reviewed World War I-era records, when ocean dumping of chemical weapons was common.

"We do not claim to know where they all are," said William Brankowitz, a deputy project manager in the Army Chemical Materials Agency and a leading authority on the Army's chemical weapons dumping.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this is true, it is incredible, horrendous and really one of the worse things I have ever heard. How dare a government treat this planet and our oceans with such little respect.

It really is time for the world to stand up and be counted. This is our planet and our future, its not the playground for the US to sprawl their 'toys" over to harm and damage the rest of us.

How many people have suffered over the years from these dumpings, how many people have got sick after fishing these areas where it has leaked.

How can anyone do this let alone condone it. 400000 chemical bombs???

Related News Links:
www.dailypress.com
www.dailypress.com
www.miami.com

[edit on 11/3/05 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I agree, it's horrendous. But in fairness to the US, many other countries have also polluted the seas with chemical weapons. The Sea of Japan, for example, is said to be a toxic soup full of Japanese and Soviet-era chemical weapons. Doesn't excuse it, but I think it should be highlighted that the problem is a global one, not peculiar to America.

Our non-dumped chemical weapons are of concern, also. We keep the bulk of our chemcial weapons arsenal these days far out of the public view on the Marshall Islands, whose people have been pretty much raped by the United States' WMD aspirations.

-koji K.

[edit on 3-11-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Mayet,
This is not news to me. This actually has been reported at least a dozen times or more especially by the "green" groups.
It is horrendous but I am surprised that this is being reported as something that is new. Heck The US has had this mentioned in various movies as well as on the tv.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I do not disagree that other countries may dump but lets all get this straight right now.

The US says its the leader in democracy, leader of free world and so on. Actions speak louder than words. This is the worse thing I have ever read for a long long time. The US has carelessly put people all over the world at risk, oh but yeah they didn't dump them off their shores only everyone elses.

The US administration continues to SHOW the world that in fact they are a force to be feared and will stop at nothing, not even the destruction of the planet as a means to their gain.

Remember the US..we are the good guys... um well

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Kenshiro, we knew some of it but it hasn't been released up till now of the extent of it. This has just been reported now this week.

The extent is the horrendous part

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Mayet, mankind has been polluting this planet since we walked upright. Of course our fire and methane
did little back then but once we came through the Industrial Revolution there was no stopping us(notice the small letters). As has been stated, this isn't news. The US admits it, poo poo's on the Kyoto Accord. So what's the point?

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet

mayet right, something that went on 25+ years ago which has yet to been proven to cause any human a signifigant problem, is so evil....

[edit on 3-11-2005 by namehere]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
umm the point.... the point is that everyone seems to be keen and excusing and condoning this activity using past behaviours of mankind as an example. Do people realise what damage this has done.

Proven, read the full reports, study it up and research just what damage it has done.

Everyone is so quick to jump to the defence, there is no defence, this is a crime.

[edit on 3-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I do not disagree that other countries may dump but lets all get this straight right now.

The US says its the leader in democracy, leader of free world and so on. Actions speak louder than words. This is the worse thing I have ever read for a long long time. The US has carelessly put people all over the world at risk, oh but yeah they didn't dump them off their shores only everyone elses.

The US administration continues to SHOW the world that in fact they are a force to be feared and will stop at nothing, not even the destruction of the planet as a means to their gain.

Well put, and agreed. It's one thing to pollute, it's another to try to convince the world that you are the squeakist-clean nation ever to grace the Earth.

-koji K.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
koji, who has ever claimed our country is squeeky clean? ever?

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

umm the point.... the point is that everyone seems to be keen and excusing and condoning this activity using past behaviours of mankind as an example. Do people realise what damage this has done.

Proven, read the full reports, study it up and research just what damage it has done.

Everyone is so quick to jump to the defence, there is no defence, this is a crime.

mayet what would you do with so many chemical weapons? put them in storage where an accident might happen and the gas goes airborne killing thousands or under the ocean where leakage is limited and cant become airborne?

if you think about it, its much safer than leaving them on land.

apc

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Whooptie Freakin Doo.

You know what else we did 60 years ago? Weeee strip mined, built cars that belched out horrid environmentally damaging fumes, smoked TONS of cigarettes, and sterilized a few hundred thousand of our enemy. Oh... wait... thats what everyone else did too!!

Ignorance was bliss.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
koji, who has ever claimed our country is squeeky clean? ever?

I never said anyone said our country is squeaky clean.

America's foreign policy, as it exists today, is based around promoting our own system of government world wide. Inherent in this tenant of neoconservatism is the assumption that American democracy is worthy of export. The daily rhetoric from the White House supports this "fact." We tell the rest of the world to follow our example, but when have you ever heard the Executive branch telling the rest of the world to learn from our mistakes?

-koji K.

[edit on 3-11-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
but this was over 25 years ago and anyways what does pollution have to do with democracy?

and what does it matter if our country does one thing then says to do another?

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
who mentioned democracy

and to the dumping in the sea..oh sorry I didn't know it was the dolphins problem to deal with..my bad

oh golly gosh, this is not 25 years ago, this is an unspeakable act that will have ramifications for many many years to come.

500 tons of nuke waste, didnt anyone read about mururoa? That its is still so highly toxic and still killing indigenous peoples.

Or are indigenous people expendable, are the oceans a dumping ground for anyone to just dump waste without thought or care

come on this needs to be cleaned up now....

didn't anyone read the part where it said that the US dumped it everywhere else but there own shores... Oh maybe you did but your safe because its not an issue you have to deal with, it doesn't touch you.. it just touches the other nations...

apc

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

didn't anyone read the part where it said that the US dumped it everywhere else but there own shores...

These weapons of mass destruction virtually ring the country, concealed off at least 11 states - six on the East Coast, two on the Gulf Coast, California, Hawaii and Alaska.

Yeah... sucks to be human. Don't it?

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   

who mentioned democracy

and to the dumping in the sea..oh sorry I didn't know it was the dolphins problem to deal with..my baddidn't anyone read the part where it said that the US dumped it everywhere else but there own shores... Oh maybe you did but your safe because its not an issue you have to deal with, it doesn't touch you.. it just touches the other nations...

uh...you and koji did...im not blind. and answer my question, thousands dying from storage house accidents or a few hundred animals and people...

my state stored many chemical weapons all over the place so dont tell me i m not effected.

heres an example of a storage warehouse leak www.commondreams.org...

and from what i've been reading, we didnt have any more space and thats why it was dumped.

even off our coasts... www.mcall.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
No this isn't the worst by either significance nor principle, HOWEVER, what are the potential long term effects? Us, Them, We on a global world-wide basis have contributed to a future kick-in-the-ass for the masses.

What will the "long-term" effects be for our descendents?

Oh yeah . . . hey it's only one part per [insert your fav % here] billion!? Would you stake your children's, grandchildren's life on it?!

The [IMO] crap that has been "dumped" into the oceans of the world will eventually come back to bite us all in the ass!

Dismissing this as, "I live in central [insert country here] and, heck :yuk: :yuk: it won't affect me" is pure nonsense!

Many of these [current] incidents involve sufficient measures to restrict the "contaminent" ever being released, however . . . many more do not!

Wanna take that chance and roll the dice!?

We're not talking about a couple hundred thousand gallons of Windex being dumped into the world's oceans!

We are talking about Nerve agents, Carcinogenic agents, [insert fav chem warfare agent here]

My true concerns aren't for those that have been "dumped" in the past few [5-10] years, but moreso those that were "discarded" 20-30-40-50 years ago. WWI and WWII saw thousands of tons being "discarded" in the hopes of an "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" pretext, never to be seen nor heard of again. Yeah right?!

Salt water and metal don't shake hands that well!

It's only a matter of time . . . and has always been just that.

Just a note to quantify and clarify we're not talking about a Coast Guard Captain telling a Seaman to toss the mop bucket water over the side . . . these "dumpings" are THOUSANDS of #/tons of deadly toxins!

Peace2All

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Oh yeah my mistake I did mention democracy and I think I explained it well there why I did, so there is no reason for further comeback to that..

Someone asked me before where I would dump the weapons... well I wouldn't because I wouldn't of created them in the first place....

While people still defend and condone this activity and do not see and understand the tragic consequences it has had on this planet, then there is not much hope that mankind can step into the future. All I see is mankind destroying himself in the effort to destroy his neighbours and enemies...

I actually think it is quite amusing you are all attacking me.... hey I didn't dump 500 tons of nuke waste anywhere, I didn't dump 400000 chem weapons into the beautiful ocean and I certainly only ever use mustard on my ham sandwiches...

I merely reported on someone else committing this horrendous deed and opinionated that I thought it was disgusting and horrendous...

Take a step back...who is the bad party in all this.. Me for speaking out and saying come on get off your butts US Admin, say sorry and clean it up and salvage what you can.... or the person for doing it in the first place.

Yes I am human and no it doesn't suck to be human we make choices to create and destroy, unfortunately those choices have ramifications to others besides the creator/destroyer. The butterfly affect.

to those that defend this you choice ..are to condone and sweep under the carpet and excuse this action instead of opening up and pushing for it to be examined and cleaned up.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
guess we wont be eating fish in the US for a couple of thousand years.
How crazy is this, gotta feel sorry for the surfers.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join