It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Paris Riots Spread To Twenty Suburbs

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
It seems they're still have trouble in Belgium but on a much smaller scale than France.

I too have noticed the lack of coverage for Belgium, but I wonder if they are in fact related to each other? Does anyone know for sure if it is the same groups meaning those from Muslim nations or is Belgium just suffering from normal YOB's or hoddies acting up with minor out bursts in Britain earlier this year.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
They don't say explicitly if the people burning cars in Belgium are muslim.
They just mention in the article that Belgium has a large muslim population.

CNN

"Burnt-out cars are rare in Belgium," a spokesman for a government crisis center said on Thursday. "This seems to be an attempt to imitate what is happening in France."

Ten cars were set ablaze in Brussels, with the others in Antwerp and the smaller towns of Lokeren, Mechelen and Ledeberg, the centre said in a statement. There were a number of arrests.

Brussels firefighters were called out 25 times to deal with attempted arson attacks, including three petrol bombs.

Belgium has a large immigrant population, many of Moroccan origin, with high unemployment among the young. But unlike France, it does not have a high concentration of immigrants in ghetto-like areas around major cities.

[edit on 12-11-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
They really need some hard line people over in Europe.
How do you ever let a place get so overrun by criminals that even the police can't go in there?

‘We must not think we are different from Paris’

The spectre of violence has reared up in places where few would expect it. In September, a gang of youths opened fire on a police station near Stockholm. The confrontation occurred in Sördertälje, a town with a high percentage of foreigners. The shots passed through the windows and walls of the police station.

The attack was part of an ongoing conflict between police and local youths, mainly immigrants. Sweden's Muslim population of 350,000 may sound small, but the country has the second highest percentage of Muslims – 3.9% – behind France. In the southern city of Malmö, around 25% of the population is Muslim and has made some sections of the city too dangerous for police to send in lone vehicles.

The same is true of areas in and around the Swedish capital, and with police morale at a nadir due to the increasing number of violent crimes in the country. Bus services were stopped to one section of Stockholm after youths repeatedly attacked vehicles with rocks.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Next shoe to drop -- French police union is calling for work slowdown:

The riots in France are increasing a bit, and at the worst possible moment. Police officers unhappy with the way they are being treated by French MSM and the government cabinet (who make it clear that the treatment of filthy animals takes precedent over the people in the front lines fighting this scum) are making their feelings known and the Seine Saint Denis section of France's largest police union has announced that its men will be on minimum duty until further notice.

no-pasaran.blogspot.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
That's what happens when you punish your police officers harsher than your criminals.

The police need room to work.

The thing about it is the guy that they allegedly abused was throwing rocks at firetruck that arrived to put out the fires.

Anyone who attacks firefighters who were just trying to do their job deserves to get roughed up.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Next shoe to drop -- French police union is calling for work slowdown:

Thanks for that update DJ.

That is just great when they are needed the most they go on strike. Typical French response.

Kind of makes you wonder if they even care about their country doesn't it?
=====

And thank you too Ace for the info on Belgium.

Kind of sounds it might or might not be related and bears keeping a close on eye on both situations at the same time until we know for certain.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
They're back.....

Riot erupts in French city centre

Police in the French city of Lyon have fired tear gas to break up groups of youths who hurled stones and bins hours before a curfew was due to begin.

Police on the city's famous Place Bellecour square made two arrests in what state news agency AFP says is the first rioting in a major city centre.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

French riot police protect firemen as they extinguish cars set ablaze
by rioters in the La Reynerie neighbourhood of Toulouse November 12, 2005.

Wonder how many nights of BBQ'ed autos and buildings does it take before the French call out the military?

[edit on 12-11-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Have we had no first hand take from someone in France? Are there actually no French citizens in the ATS community? I really expected some first hand feedback like during the hurricane threads, or the Halloway Case, there always seems to be someone local to interject.

Does anyone else find this bizarre?

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
English isn't a Provençal language and most French don't care to read or speak it unless they have to.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Youths actions are justified

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by nirvana686
Youths actions are justified

What does that mean? What are you talking about? Please elaborate if you have anything to justify that statement.

Nothing justifies the kind of lawlessness that has no regard for anything or anyone. It's turning into some kind of hysteria and it's out of control.

*Waiting for the guillotines to appear*

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
Have we had no first hand take from someone in France? Are there actually no French citizens in the ATS community? I really expected some first hand feedback like during the hurricane threads, or the Halloway Case, there always seems to be someone local to interject.

Does anyone else find this bizarre?

Actually we did have one who claimed they were French (do not know if that is fact though) that made a few comments during the start of the riots and presto they were gone.

And yes it is bizarre, I am sure we have to have more then one ATS member who living in France. Perhaps they just do not want to wash their laundry if you will in public. I agree, it would be nice to get first hand info rather then second hand via the media alone, which we all know can say anything they want just to sell papers.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Here's a story from Der Spiegel (Germany):

From Tourist Heaven to Immigrant Hell
The heart of Paris, though -- even at the height of the unrest -- remained more Kir Royal than Molotov cocktail. Nevertheless, the riots are hardly shocking, says John. "The government's immigration policy is to provide free welfare to all people coming to France," he says. "But you can't welcome immigrants when there are no jobs for them. So I'm not surprised by the riots."

Agence France-Presse

Links to blog searches for the Paris riots:
Icerocket blogs
Technorati blogs
Blogpulse blogs

No jobs, no money, no future....remaining choices are fight or die.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I just went surfing to find French Newspapers that publish in English and what I found was virtually nothing at all. Their coverage is minimal if that. It looks like their press is trying to cover this up. JMHO of course.

Then I found this regarding groups protesting in support of the French in Athens no less. No damage reported and turn out was small but this is spreading far beyond Belgium, Germany and of course France.

Youth Demonstrate in Greek Capitol
ATHENS, Nov 12 (AFP) - A group of around 100 youths, described by police as anarchists, demonstrated in support of French rioters Saturday night outside French embassy in downtown Athens.

Carrying banners and yelling slogans, the group demonstrated for about 20 minutes watched by anti-riot police.

"War on company bosses! Violence to the violence of power!" screamed the protesters, waving red and black flags.

Example of one of their papers www.aquitainenews.com...
Front page has no riot coverage at all.

www.brittany-news.net...

Front page no coverage at all again.

www.afp.com...

Wire service home page France no coverage at all (although there is coverage on yahoo from AFP.

[edit on 11/12/2005 by shots]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Should we been worried? I mean this hasn't happened for nearly the last 200 years! Since, well, I don't know the French Revolution that Thomas Paine sent a long letter to President George Washington about.

Why are these people upset? They kept saying it's because their islamic, but I don't know, I've been studying the Koran at home(you know for theology and cultural research), and I'm on the chapter "The Cow", and I just didn't think God allowed riots, but what do I know. I still have cruches on BSB.

-Sorry that slipted. But it's not like they've never heard of me.lol

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Ah the French papers are covering it up, they are calling it responsible reporting if you will.

French Media Using Less Rioting Footage

Unrest wracking France for more than two weeks presents a tough challenge to French media.

At least two television stations scaled back broadcasting images of flaming vehicles — a mainstay of coverage — to avoid stoking violence. Some channels decided not to provide daily police figures on the number of cars burned overnight, in the thousands since troubles began Oct. 27.

Is it self-censorship? Or a sense of responsibility?

Television stations that are holding back deny any influence from police, who insist publicity for the riots has fueled "copycat" violence. Instead, the stations say they don't want to play into the hands of rampaging youths seeking coverage of what they see as their exploits.

Typical French reaction. Sweep it under the rug and hope it goes away. :shk:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The criminal behavior has been subsidized and rewarded.

NOW THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!

This is not the first time that these groups have made riots like this year, the thing is that the French government have been trying to hide it from others. The same thing can be said of many other European countries. They refuse to say their system is not perfect, and it is extremely hard for them to state they are having problems, otherwise they would have done so a long time ago.

That I remember in the 80s and 90s there were also riots like these in Paris. Maybe not as big, but it is nothing new.

[edit on 12-11-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I see all this way:
Criminal in small quantities individuals are sick. Yes sick mentally and should be treated in mental hospitals not in jail.
When crime is present in great amount then society is sick and probably more then one country here.
Europe is going down uncapable to deal with their own citizens?
Trying to hide it from the world?
Well maybe the one who said to withdraw the police is right, this way they are provoking them to more violence just standing there doing nothing.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The are now on night 17 of the riots.
There were fewer cars burned last night but it was still over 100.
They also set fires to a nursery school and pushed a burning car in front of an old folks home.

These people are scum.

Reuters

PARIS (Reuters) - France's interior minister pressed home his pledge of tough action including the expulsion of immigrants involved in 17 consecutive nights of unrest by youths protesting harsh police treatment and lack of opportunities.

Youths burnt 130 vehicles and set fire to a nursery school on Saturday evening and police fired tear gas to disperse those who attacked cars and stalls in France's second city Lyon earlier in the day in the first violence to hit a city centre.

[edit on 13-11-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Does anyone else think this could allow the EU and AU and AmericasU, to come? And possibly push into another WW-whatever?

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join