It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Need A New Political Way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I watch Prime Minister Questions every week and for a long time I have thought that our (UK) political system needs to be reinvented (please read on if you are not from the UK as this we probably have relevance for you). These are grown men and women shouting and jeering at each others opinions like school children. But one of my major problems with the system is that if the party in power has a good piece of legislation that they want to get through, the other party will just turn it down on the basis that it was not created by a member of their party.

Does anyone have any ideas or examples of how the political system can be changed for the better?

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Allowing a few more political parties to step into the arena would certainly help. I would like to see some type of hybrid spawn come out of the Liberal and Libertarian camps, which isn't as far fetched as it sounds.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
the main problem we are facing in the British political system is that the people who lead the major political parties are totally out of touch with the publics feeling, just look at Tony Blair, no one trusts him anymore.

Also what we need is more political parties, the power needs to be shared out more, for example, if the Conservatives came into power they generally represent the upper class of society, with labour in power, they traditionaly represent the working class there needs to be greater representation of all society when a particular party is in power.

Also, the government needs to be regulated better, they all lie. The Iraq war, based on a lie, i dont know who could regulate the government, but i feel it needs to happen.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

But one of my major problems with the system is that if the party in power has a good piece of legislation that they want to get through, the other party will just turn it down on the basis that it was not created by a member of their party.

lets resort to communism then, no one can turn down policies

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I have an idea, although I do not wish to go into detail on it yet [as I have not fininished it yet.]

Roughly, I want a system based like they have in Switzerland of Direct Democracy along with proportional representation.

The Government makes laws, all of that jazz. The people have the ability [twice a year] to vote on laws and suggest other laws. If a law is voted up or down the will of the people rules.

Depending on the issue itself it can require a simple or super-majority.

[Posted on this thread as well.]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Odium,

I would like to hear the details of the political system you are working on.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Balthasar
I would like to hear the details of the political system you are working on.

Mr Odium has a thread about it, here, but you weren't to know.

There are some other alternative thoughts that can be found here, if anyone is interested.

Originally posted by wenters
But one of my major problems with the system is that if the party in power has a good piece of legislation that they want to get through, the other party will just turn it down on the basis that it was not created by a member of their party.

Policy tends to get voted against because the individual MP's don't like it, true a party tends to vote the same, but thats a very narrow view of it all.
MP's aren't just members of a political party they are also individuals, something that is becoming ever more noticable in commons votes.

Originally posted by Conspirator_101
Also what we need is more political parties, the power needs to be shared out more, for example, if the Conservatives came into power they generally represent the upper class of society, with labour in power, they traditionaly represent the working class there needs to be greater representation of all society when a particular party is in power.

Proportional Representation could solve the whole ''lack of political parties issue'', but thats for a whole another thread.

Party's used to represent sections of society, example being the Labour Party used to represent the working class. But now, however stereotypical the party's image (*cough* Torys) each party holds support from each corner of society.
Thats right people, even some working class people support the Conservative Party
true I've never found them, but the limitless of the Universe means anything is possible.

Originally posted by Conspirator_101
Also, the government needs to be regulated better, they all lie. The Iraq war, based on a lie, i dont know who could regulate the government, but i feel it needs to happen.

Their politcians, their meant to lie.

In theory the House of Lords could regulate the ''nasty'' policys of the Government, but things are never that simple.

Personally I like infinite's (sarcastic) idea:

lets resort to communism then, no one can turn down policies

Political prison camps for all!

[edit on 7-11-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
As I said earlier, I do not wish to go into too much detail at the present moment however the new system will work on three levels.

First:

Swiss System of Direct Democracy, with votes on moral laws and the ability to vote laws in and out being to the public. They can [if they gain enough signatures] place any law on the ballot box. Depending on the law depends on if you need a majority of the public or a super majority to vote it up or down.

You also double barrel this. So a number of the 'States' [constituencies] have to also vote in favour of it. [Majority again.]

Second:

House of Commons is based on a system of Proportional representation. Depending on percentage of the vote depends on how many seats you gain.

Third:

House of Lords is built like the House of Commons is now. You have constituencies, each given a seat. So people vote for their 'local' member of parliament to get them into office.

----

Roughly, you'd get 2 votes a year.

You'd have both the House of Lords and Commons sit for four years. However, the election for them would be every alternate 2 years.

So one for the house of commons in 2006,
One for the lords in 2008.

That's the basic idea of it.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wenters
I watch Prime Minister Questions every week and for a long time I have thought that our (UK) political system needs to be reinvented (please read on if you are not from the UK as this we probably have relevance for you). These are grown men and women shouting and jeering at each others opinions like school children. But one of my major problems with the system is that if the party in power has a good piece of legislation that they want to get through, the other party will just turn it down on the basis that it was not created by a member of their party.

Does anyone have any ideas or examples of how the political system can be changed for the better?

I compare the uk to the us congress... the uk house of commons is awesome, it's entertaining and full of life. People aren't afraid to ask questions, and they dont have a problem w/ making the pm look like an ass. US politics is too reformed, it's very conservative, and they dont talk directly to the persident or fellow members of the senate or house. It's always to the speaker. Raising questions or making points. I never see shouting like that.

We get uk politics on cspan at night and i love watching it whenever I catch it. Canada's parliament is like that too... I think it's better to have it that way then to have it reformed, there is less accountability when it gets like that, and many people get to the point where they just want to hear themselves talk.. Ego.. Not cool..

Feel honoured you have people in your parliament that shout at eachother, that means they care and they are working for you and raising your questions but can actually talk directly to the pm. I like that style better.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
I have an idea, although I do not wish to go into detail on it yet [as I have not fininished it yet.]

Roughly, I want a system based like they have in Switzerland of Direct Democracy along with proportional representation.

The Government makes laws, all of that jazz. The people have the ability [twice a year] to vote on laws and suggest other laws. If a law is voted up or down the will of the people rules.

Depending on the issue itself it can require a simple or super-majority.

[Posted on this thread as well.]

Or Austria, which if you read the constitution the USA is SUPPOSE TO BE LIKE. What does the UN think all americans are "idoits"? I think more people would feel the same I do about it, if they realized things didn't JIVE in goverment class, and yes, even the BSB are rebelling. Don't believe me, I got to websites on the subject. See and here's the secondone.

Even they're calling for "change", b/c they don't like where things are going into political armeggedon for the world's peoples, they even mentioned me in concert this april, so people in the states are gonna be well aware soon enough.

new topics

top topics

join