It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nine unidentified objects near Almathea, a moon of Jupiter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I saw this in a perfectly legitimate article on galileo and the moons of Jupiter..

It turns out that the probe once photographed nine objects near the moon Almathea. They weren't part of a ring system, but, rather, were 9 objects just hanging around the moon.

Now, Jupiter has 61 known moons... plus tons of other stuff that I'm sure has been pulled into its sphere of influence over the years... so, no one is presenting this mystery as if it is UFO related... However, they 'are', technically, unidentified objects, so I thought it might be interesting to see what people around here think they could be.

NASA is sending Galileo into Jupiter on purpose to avoid, potentially, contaminating the moon Europa. On its way down, it will try to get some more shots of these objects.

So, I was wondering if anyone here would care to speculate on what could be orbiting so close to this small moon... any predictions, guesses?

Here's the article I found this in:

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I still find it interesting that the Voyager I and II probes didn't find all the satellites orbiting Saturn during their treks through the solar system. The Hubble telescope saw at least a couple other new ones just a scant 15 years later, along with a few other anomalous things.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This can only mean one thing...

INVASION!

What I thought really funny when I found out... The two Mars moons phobos and deimos mean "fear" and "panic". Also heard that the object earth picked up a couple of years ago managed to get in a geosyncronous orbit. The odds of that are shall we say, astronomical!

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Kind of reminds me of this....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Sounds interesting. I hope they find something that makes it all worth it.

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Actually, the article states they may be part of a new ring:

"They may be part of a new ring around Jupiter - a string of rocks rather than the circlets of fine dust that constitute the known rings - or they may just be a local grouping around Amalthea. Either way, they may have originated on Amalthea itself."

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 07:29 AM
link   

So, I was wondering if anyone here would care to speculate on what could be orbiting so close to this small moon... any predictions, guesses?

Smaller moons....but not technically large enough for it...

posted on Sep, 19 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Still don't know what Galilao will do when it enter Jupitor. With any luck the Pu-238 won't go critical.

top topics

join