It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McMartin Accuser Admits Lying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The McMartin preschool molestation case gripped California and the nation when it went public in 1984. More than any other single event at the time, the case brought the issue of child molestation, inside and outside the home, to light. Now Kyle Zirpolo, the initial accuser that he had been sexually molested by school employees, has recanted, and admits lying about the events that led to one of the longest criminal trials in US history. The defendants were acquitted on most charges, and no verdict was reached on the others.

www.mercurynews.com
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Two decades after charging that school employees sexually abused him, a child accuser in the infamous McMartin Preschool case now says he made up the allegations at the urging of authorities.

Kyle Zirpolo was 8 years old when he told police in 1984 that he was sexually abused at the Manhattan Beach preschool, allegations that helped lead to a child molestation case that fixated the nation and became one of the longest criminal prosecutions in U.S. history. The case ended with the defendants being acquitted of almost all charges and jurors unable to reach verdicts on a handful of others.

In a first-person account published in Sunday's Los Angeles Times Magazine, Zirpolo apologized and said he lied.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Twenty years later we learn the stories that started this whole investigation and national outcry were made up. Why is he coming out now and recanting? Is there a book deal or movie in the offing?

This event affected me personally to the extent that I joined the Exchange Club in 1988 to be part of the Exchange Club National Foundation for the Prevention of Child Abuse. Al Solomon, who I was working for at the time, had created the foundation in the wake of the McMartin preschool scandal.

[edit on 5-11-2005 by asala]

new topics

join