It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Military Wants to Own the Weather

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
This is from space.com about the government wanting to control the weather. It's not like we didn't already know this, and I hope this hasn't been posted yet.

The one-two hurricane punch from Katrina and Wilma along with predictions of more severe weather in the future has scientists pondering ways to save lives, protect property and possibly even control the weather.

While efforts to tame storms have so far been clouded by failure, some researchers aren’t willing to give up the fight. And even if changing the weather proves overly challenging, residents and disaster officials can do a better job planning and reacting.

In fact, military officials and weather modification experts could be on the verge of joining forces to better gauge, react to, and possibly nullify future hostile forces churned out by Mother Nature.

While some consider the idea farfetched, some military tacticians have already pondered ways to turn weather into a weapon.

www.space.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
pyramids, dont change weather.jst make pyramid buildings instead of square houses. what will a huricane do against a sturdy pyramid house. square houses give too much resistance...look at car fronts.

even the roof of the pryramid is touching/built into the ground. make brick roofs on one side?or grassy hill...even better.

i am jst thinking as i go, i havent thought about it too much until now.i like it though i think this may be the solution...when they rebuild new orleans they have to build them in pyramid shapes.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
They have done more than just ponder the problem glan, people are hard at work in laboratories trying to prove out some of the things they want to try. Weather modifications may still be decades away, but then again perhaps not. Fooling around with things like hurricanes is a huge PR problem, because if you don't succeed on the first attempt you'll be accused of making the thing worse--regardless or not of whether you actually did.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
There's considertable evidence that Katrina and Wilma were artificially (by humans) grown into much larger hurricanes, and perhaps even controlled (their path).

Here's a good question for the smart ones here:

If party A created a hurricane and sends it on path X, would Party B be able to somehow deflect the hurricane?

Will it be something like power of device used by one party, over the other??

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Goverments are within legal bounds to use weather manipulation for peaceful purposes. Hostile use of weather manipulation has been banned under international law for quite some time.

There is evidence that the US has tried to use weather as a weapon before that treaty. Look into the Vietnam Project Code name "Popeye"

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Goverments are within legal bounds to use weather manipulation for peaceful purposes. Hostile use of weather manipulation has been banned under international law for quite some time.

Correction: Hostile use of weather manipulation against other nations has been banned under international law for quite some time.

It says nothing about your own country.

www.opcw.org...

Convention on the Prohibition of Military or Any Other Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques

"ARTICLE I

1. Each State Party to this Convention undertakes not to engage in military or any other hostile use of environmental modification techniques having widespread, long-lasting or severe effects as the means of destruction, damage or injury to any other State Party."

"ARTICLE II

As used in article 1, the term "environmental modification techniques" refers to any technique for changing - through the deliberate manipulation of natural processes--the dynamics, composition or structure of the Earth, including its biota, lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere, or of outer space."

"ARTICLE III

1. The provisions of this Convention shall not hinder the use of environmental modification techniques for peaceful purposes and shall be without prejudice to the generally recognized principles and applicable rules of international law concerning such use."

So in other words.

You can use it peacefully across the board but you can't use it with intent to harm other countries.

[edit on 11/3/05 by redmage]

new topics

top topics

join