It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

space elevator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Got some about a maybe something which could follow up the spaceshuttles.

SANTA FE, New Mexico -- No matter how you view it, a space elevator is a stretch � not only of vision, but also of far-out materials and cutting-edge technology.

Putting in place a space elevator is complicated: Extend a super-strong ribbon from an Earth-situated platform at the equator out beyond geosynchronous orbit. Once in position, electric lifts clamped to the ribbon would truck spacecraft, science gear, as well as passenger-carrying modules into space.

But the quest for a revolutionary route to space is getting very real. So real, in truth, that the specter of a terrorist attack on such a stellar skyscraper can�t be discounted. Nor can a host of thorny national and international legal and policy qualms be set aside for too long.

Those were among numerous issues addressed during the 2nd Annual International Conference on the Space Elevator, held here September 12-15. The event was co-sponsored by the Los Alamos National Laboratory of Los Alamos, New Mexico and the Institute for Scientific Research, Inc., based in Fairmont, West Virginia....

www.space.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If your interested in this then read Arthur C. Clarkes book, the Fountains of Paradise (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). It is all about his idea for a space elevator which he conjured up in the 60's. Which is amazing thinking of the predctions he made such as the Internet etc.

Clever Bloke.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Saw the article this morning, time to invest heavily in the carbon nanotube industry, I guess.

I don't see how it can possibly work. I read the book years ago, I've read papers on it, several new scientist articles. I've read papers explaining how it works, and I just don't see it.

Surely, even if they did spend trillions to actually make the cable, the first time a bolt, a satellite, an airplane, freak weather, repeated lightning strikes, cosmic rays, hit's this thing, it's going to come back down. I wouldn't want to be working on the ground station then, when 60,000 miles of cable comes sailing downwards. (although, the corriolis effect would mean that it would miss, I believe)

Still, I'd love to see them try.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I read this book.... "Red Mars" by.. Kim Stanley Robinson. In it they had a space elivator on Mars and when it was brought down durring the 'revolution' it was pretty catastrophic when it hit the ground. I think it might be a good idea...might be dangerous though.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If it came down slowly and wrapped arount the earth, it would go around the earth two and a half times. Holy sh*t.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If you did have a space elevator...How much force would be added each time you put another person out there? That would have to be a mighty strong ribbon! & a big anchor on the ground. What if it did not fall but the anchor came out of the earth

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 06:38 PM
link   
With something of this scale, the possibility for disaster is huge. If it fails, will they bother to rebuild it? What would 60,000 miles of super strong carbon nanotube material do when it comes back down.

I hate to be a flat Earther, but I really can't see this working, overcoming the technicalities will be an amazing feat.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
What would 60,000 miles of super strong carbon nanotube material do when it comes back down.

exactly what i was thinking?

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 07:35 PM
link   
imagine looking up and seeing this structure so high it disappeared from sight. there wouldnt be any horizon to block it out so it would look so weird. just a line going straight up into nothing. dont you think that would look cool? i do...

posted on Sep, 20 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
realy couldn't imagine it. that would be magnificent view. wow. but if we could see it I think not direct. if it is build there wil be a security zone around it not only for terrorist acts but also for safety. In case of a mishape. The structure it self is in comparison to a piece of paper the same thickness. as the story said.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkLuitzen

2003?

Well we are moving full steam ahead on this now...!
What a wild and weird idea.

The Space Engineering and Science Institute (SESI) presents

The 2011 Space Elevator Conference

Thursday Evening, August 11 through Sunday, August 14, 2011
Microsoft Conference Center, Redmond, Washington, USA

spaceelevatorconference.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkLuitzen

I am hoping someone will use the information in the post above to update this information on the space elevator with a new thread. I think this is something that was in mind all the while and perhaps why we scrapped the Apollo Space Program. I mean really...this thread is from 2003!!!

If no one else does in a few days I guess I will have to myself. Go ahead! It is a great topic for ATS.
Please.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I love the idea of the space elevator. But as of right now there is one small problem........meteoroids.

With current technology we might be able to build a space elevator but unfortunately these little buggers would (pretty quickly) inflict enough damage to the ribbon to render the elevator useless.......then eventually break the ribbon.

I'm sure some scientists are working on this, there is much money to be made. I wish them luck.

-Alien

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It is an old ida but i think it is a great idea.

Thanks for the post.

top topics

join