It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cooking Drives Me Nuts!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Hi All,

I thought I would share my thoughts and adventures of me in the kitchen. First a little background. I am a 35 year old mother of 2 (well, three because I claim my husband as my first child.
) My husband does the majority of the cooking for us, because he loves it and I dont. He is pretty good too, and should have gone to culinary arts school, but I digress.

I CAN cook. (Baking is something I am surprisingly good at.) The only problem is I hate cooking! I hate that oil always seems to find an excuse to jump on some part of my body and break dance on my skin. I hate that no matter how careful I am, I always seem to make a mess. (I know this is a part of cooking, but I hate cleaning it up.) I cant stand the fact that I can sucessfully work any technical gadget in our house and build a computer from the ground up, but I cant seem to remember to turn on the heat switch to our "Set-it-And-Forget-It" rotisserie. I dont know how many times I have some back 45min to an hour later to find my meats happily rotating and very uncooked.

I am always damn-near electricuting myself from our handheld blender because I always seem to forget to unplug the thing while I am blissfully running water over it in the sink. Even my toaster has conspired intricate plots against me. No matter where I set the adjuster, my eggos are either undercooked, or come out with black crispy edges. I have learned to eat them slightly undercooked.

What I have come to realize is that there is an overwhelming message coming from the universe that basically says "Stay the hell outta the kitchen." I would LOVE to! I cant stand the heat anyway. Yet finances, children, a tired spouse, and hunger make me return.

So to all of you wonderful cooks and chefs out out there, I applaude your bravery, competence, and abilities to work magic in that dreaded pit called the kitchen. I would love to know where your love of this act came from,(were you brainwashed for instance?) and how you handle psychotic toasters and gravity defying grease.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I learned to cook because I love what it does to the females. I cook every day for my g/f. Believe me, she KNOWS how good she has it and it comes back to me tenfold!

Plus I love flipping the food over and over in the pan just like the pros. That really turns her on.

Peace

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
So Dr love...when you coming to Australia for a visit again ????

I love cooking hate the mess..I have simple solution..If I cook, you clean up...

and am I a messy cook....

I became a god cook because my mother was a bland cook and I like exciting food. If we must eat we must enjoy it, my motto. I love creating something and see it enjoy and appreciated.

[edit on 7-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Mayet,

(LOL) I probably hate cooking because my mother was a bland cook, and because it was the one thing that I didnt have to do around the house. (That woman was a slave driver!) I maneged to burn enough meals to convince her that I couldnt cook. I considered myself lucky that I did!

I do attempt to clean while I cook, but somehow I still have a lot to clean up when Im finished.

I am sooooo glad that my husband loves cooking as much as he does. On a good day, I may even help him prepare the meal, as his joy is infectious.
(Of course as soon as any oil hits my skin, Im gone! )

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Surprisingly, I, though an american male, can cook. I lived alone for about a decade and a half, so I can take care of myself. Sew buttons on, that sort of thing.

I am the one who cooks the family breakfast every morning. I like an omlette. Or eggs benedict. With corned beef. Nothing melts a lady's heart like getting up before her, getting the coffee on, and cooking comfort food.

Generally, though, Frau Dr. cooks. Not only that, she fixes our meals.

Tonight we had this thing she makes, can't remember what she calls it. It's scallops in a cream sauce, inside of pastry shells. She served sauteed mushrooms and greenbeans on the side.

We (kids & I) went through a package of peel & eat shrimp while she was finishing up dinner. Why do primates feel compelled not to leave a single shrimp behind? Everyone lets that last one sit in the bowl. I grab it, and the kids go shrieking to mommy: "Daddy ate it all!"

I'm in charge of the meat though. I have a several grills, both wood and propane. Love doing BBQ in the back yard. Or soak some bratwurst in beer for 24 hrs, then blanche them, then grill 'em slow over mesquite.

mmmm. Wonder what's in the fridge . . . . .

BRB.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
dr_strangecraft,

We (kids & I) went through a package of peel & eat shrimp while she was finishing up dinner. Why do primates feel compelled not to leave a single shrimp behind? Everyone lets that last one sit in the bowl. I grab it, and the kids go shrieking to mommy: "Daddy ate it all!

How true that is!! My children often accuse us of the same "crime" My husband considers himself a "Grill Master". He says he cannot be out grilled. (LOL, I wonder where I have heard that before.
)

I think it is great that you can cook. I am hoping that my husband will sucessfully pass on his skills to both out children. They are very enthusiastic in the kitchen, except when it is time to clean up of course.

new topics

top topics

join