It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you good enough to get to Heaven?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Am I good enough to get into heaven? I suppose that depends first on the existence of heaven, and second, on the price of admission being sufficiently good.

I have no reason to even suspect there is a heaven, but if I play a hypothetical that such a place exists, I then have no reason to suspect that the gatekeeper tallies up levels of goodness before letting you in.

Please play along, and answer these questions from one of my earlier posts:
1. Have you ever told a lie?
2. Have you ever stolen anything? (regardless of the value of the item)
3. Have you ever used God's name in vain? That is the same thing as using God's holy name as a curse word which is blasphemeing.
4. Jesus said that whoever looks upon a woman with lust in their eyes has committed adultery with her already in his heart. Have you ever looked with lust?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by just me 2

No.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

No.

NEVER???? In your entire life? Even if you call it a "white lie?" Come on, every one has told at least ONE lie in their lifetime!

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

NEVER???? In your entire life? Even if you call it a "white lie?" Come on, every one has told at least ONE lie in their lifetime!

I don't think you understand that spam's answer was an attempt (I believe) at sarcastic humour.

EDIT: I laughed at least.

[edit on 17/11/2005 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkashicWanderer
I don't think you understand that spam's answer was an attempt (I believe) at sarcastic humour.

EDIT: I laughed at least.

I'm glad someone enjoys my odd sense of humor.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

No.

It doesn't matter if I've ever told a lie or not. I'm not going to heaven when I die regardless of how good or bad I am or what I believe or don't believe.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It does matter! Whether you believe it or not, it DOES matter!

I know that you don't believe in God, but please think about this parable:

Consider the Empire State Building (or any building, really!)
How do you know that that it had a builder? Because you can see the building, right? You can’t see, smell, touch, taste, or feel the builder, but you know that there was one simply because the building exists.

Now, apply that same logic to the earth. How do you think the earth got here? There was a Builder, of course!

Please don't give me any garbage about a "Big Bang" theory! I've heard it!

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

If you do not wish to be told of opposing theories, what is the point of posting yours?

Likewise I can use your same logic, and say "Pleade don't give me any garbage about Intelligent Design! I've heard it!"

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

If you do not wish to be told of opposing theories, what is the point of posting yours?

Because Jesus commanded me to "preach the Gospel to every creature."

I'm attempting to get you to believe that God really IS all around you whether you know it or not, whether you believe it or not.

HE IS THERE!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Because Jesus commanded me to "preach the Gospel to every creature."

You do not want to hear opposing theories because Jesus commanded you to "preach the Gospel to every creature"?

I'm by no means telling you not to share your opinion. All I'm asking is for common courtesy of allowing others to post their own opinions, even if it contradicts with yours.

To tell someone not to post their opinion, because it is garbage, and conflicts with your opinion is not extending that courtesy.

How do you expect people to listen to your opinion, when you tell them theirs is garbage and has already been heard?

I could do the same to your opinions, but I choose not to because I understand that we all have differing viewpoints.

I'm attempting to get you to believe that God really IS all around you whether you know it or not, whether you believe it or not.

You don't need to attempt to get me to believe that, becuause I already know it is true.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If you already believe in what I'm saying, then why did you make this post?

Likewise I can use your same logic, and say "Pleade don't give me any garbage about Intelligent Design! I've heard it!"

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Not by my own deeds, But only by the Grace of Jesus........

AS he has promise......................................

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

If you already believe in what I'm saying, then why did you make this post?

I made that point to show you the irrationality of asking people to not share their opinions.

How would you react if before you even had a chance to contribute your opinion on a subject, someone told you to not contribute it?

Finally I see no connection to knowing that God is around me, and telling you how your logic can be used.

EDIT: I do not believe in all of what you're saying. What I did say was that I knew that God was around me, and that further attempts to convince me that it was so were not needed.

[edit on 17/11/2005 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   

It does matter! Whether you believe it or not, it DOES matter!

No it DOESn't!

Now, apply that same logic to the earth. How do you think the earth got here? There was a Builder, of course!

Suppose you're right and the universe has a builder. How can you infer from this that the builder gives a rats backside about what we believe, and if it does, how do you know what it is that it wants you to believe? For all you know, it wants you to believe only what nature reveals.

Bible quotes won't work in answering that question unless you first establish that the Bible is of divine origin. To be clear, a personal letter from Paul to Timothy that speaks of the value of scripture only establishes that Paul considered the Jewish scriptures to be inspired. If you refer to 2 Timothy, you must first establish that Paul meant "inspired" to mean "divine in origin" and that Paul was in a position to know that rather than simply telling Timothy of his opinion.

The big bang does not preclude the possibility of deities. Plenty of Christians accept the big bang as possible and even evolution with no problem, because they still view god as being ultimately in control of creation even if these are the mechanisms he used.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I made that point to show you the irrationality of asking people to not share their opinions.

OK, I’m sorry that I told you not to say anything about the Big Bang, but I really have heard that theory before and I do not believe in it.

How would you react if before you even had a chance to contribute your opinion on a subject, someone told you to not contribute it?

I would still do so, anyways.

Finally I see no connection to knowing that God is around me, and telling you how your logic can be used.

I was originally speaking to Spamandham, when I told him (or her, I’m not sure) not to say anything about the Big bang. By his/her posts, I take it that he/she doesn’t believe in God and I was trying to get him/her to re-think his/her beliefs.

I do not believe in all of what you're saying. What I did say was that I knew that God was around me, and that further attempts to convince me that it was so were not needed.

OK, like I said B4, I’m sorry! What about what I'm saying don't you believe in?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

OK, I’m sorry that I told you not to say anything about the Big Bang, but I really have heard that theory before and I do not believe in it.

That's alright.

Whenever you are speaking to somebody about intelligent design, we can assume that such a person does not believe in it. If they did, what would be the point of trying to convince them of something they were already convinced about? Therefore everybody who you are trying to convince, has heard your theory and does not believe in it. The same goes for proponents of the Big Bang theory.

All we can do is repeat our opinions, and hope that they may somehow influence somebody else's. If that's what you're trying to do, all I ask is that you allow others to do likewise.

OK, like I said B4, I’m sorry! What about what I'm saying don't you believe in?

Nothing specifically, I just didn't want to be associated with believing everything you have ever said

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

No.

So you are saying that no matter how small of a lie you tell, if you do then you have sinned and unless you repent, God is going to send you to HELL?!? Forever?!? So I live a perfect life, never harm another soul in any way. My wife walks up and says: "Do you think I'm fat?" Now I can either tell her the truth, hurt her feelings and end up in the doghouse for a month. I tell her that inocent white lie, and God will ship my rear to hell for eternity?

That sounds like a very reasonable God to me.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
So you are saying that no matter how small of a lie you tell, if you do then you have sinned So I live a perfect life, never harm another soul in any way. .

No one has lived a perfect life. No one has ever committed only one sin. I haven't, you haven't no one has. If that were possible to commit only one sin, that would be enough to enter hell. God's standard is perfection. He wants us to be perfect(without sin) that is accomplished through Christ death and resurrection. He provided the gurantee of our salvation in Christ. Put faith in that and salvation and gradual perfection is guaranteed.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
1) God wills that ALL people be saved.
2) God's will WILL be done.
3) God is Love.
4) Love never fails.

Everything else is detail and dogma.

Yes, there will be a "chastisement". I would speculate it will be significantly different for some than it will be for others.

Can anyone show me biblically in the New Testament with specificity that you are required to accept Christ prior to leaving this mortal plane?

Although the words "damning" and "condemnation" are used, nowhere in the Scriptures is "condemnation" eternal.

All have sinned. All are sinning. All will sin. The whole world is composed of sinners. Christ came to save the whole world.

Salvation (through the Gospel of Jesus Christ), is especially for believers, now, but nowhere do the Scriptures speak of salvation being "exclusive" whereby billions will never be saved at a future time.

1 Tim 4:10- For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

(Emphasis mine.)

Of course we could go back and forth and quote scripture endlessly and prove nothing. Spiritual things are discerned spiritually. It either speaks to you, or it doesn't.

And I'll bow out with a little Zen- "If you understand, things are just as they are. If you don't understand, things are just as they are".

[edit on 11/18/2005 by yeahright]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
God's standard is perfection. He wants us to be perfect(without sin)

If that were what he wanted, he would have created us that way. It was god's choice to hold all of humanity responsible for the sin of Adam, he wasn't compelled to do so.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join