It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Australia Cites "Immediate Terror Threat" To Push Through Terror Laws

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Citing an immediate "terror threat" to the country, Australia's prime minister is rushing through new anti terror legislation that could be passed as early as tomorrow. Parliament is meeting tonight to vote on the new laws which gained last minute support from most political quarters after the new "terror threat" was announced. The Senate has also been recalled to hurry the legislation through after the government announced "The Government has received specific intelligence and police information this week which gives cause for serious concern about a potential terrorist threat,"

www.news.com.au
THERE was an immediate terror threat to Australia, Prime Minister John Howard said today.

Because of this there would be an urgent amendment to terror laws.

He said intelligence authorities had received specific information about a terrorist threat.

As a result Mr Howard said part of the new anti-terror laws would be introduced to Parliament today.

The Senate would also be recalled tomorrow to debate the Bill.

He said he had briefed Opposition Leader Kim Beazley and Opposition homeland security spokesman Arch Bevis last night and this morning.

Mr Howard said the Government would rush its tough new anti-terrorism legislation through the House of Representatives tonight and the Senate would be recalled tomorrow to ensure it became law as soon as possible.

"After question time today, the Attorney-General will introduce into the House an urgent amendment to the existing counter terrorism legislation," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a joke and people are swallowing it hook line and sinker. I have no doubt about this "immenent threat" but I do have doubts about its orign and reason.

It was great "timing" to be able to push this legislation through without a whimper (not unlike Port Arthur and the gun laws) after it had been looking over the last week that more and more people were opposed to the changes.

Todays breaking news columns in Australia are full of everyone suddenly agreeing to the new laws and also just happened to be the same day a "report" is issued and posted in the aussie press about the Britsh government "thwarting" more terrorist attacks since July 7. *sigh the people don't have a chance, it is all downhill from here.

But it does make me wonder, what exactly is going to happen in the next few weeks, other than the token "terrorist" arrest, that they feel the NEED and Necessity to implement these laws like yesterday.

Of course the people will be sitting back saying oh well, it won't affect me, it won't happen to me but I think it will. I think the world is going to go through some big changes over the next couple of months, political shocks, although many of them have been insidiously happening over the last year, along with freedoms curtailed and the march of the New World Order will be complete.

Do people really believe this? Do they believe this is real? The only terrorists I see at the moment is our governments holding us to ransom with fear.

Wheres the accountablilty. These people are a law unto themselves.

www.news.com.au...
www.news.com.au...
www.news.com.au...

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au
www.news.com.au
www.news.com.au
www.news.com.au

[edit on 2-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Personaly, i'm saying 'bring it on ya bastards!', if there's a 'threat' then let it happen. Here's a free pass to the government to allow a terrorist attack to occur with public support in order NOT to rush these laws through.

How about that?

Call their bluff i say. If they are planning to stage a threat then, we'll bust their ass'. If there's no threat and they made all this up, then when nothing happens, we'll bust their ass.

Howard is a liar, he's deep NWO.

Let's see the attack, what mystery attack will it be?

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
yea this is not the behaviour of a democracy is it.
Orders from above clearly
The same anti-terror laws that UK+US have
NWO in action baby
slaves you will take your new laws and we will do anything to circumvent the pointless barriers that are there to stop us. 10 minutes to debate.
thankyou.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Thats great and the jerks wont say where it is

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Oh yeah, there's a huge terrorist act about to happen and your government can't stop it because they'd be breaking the law...

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
What is the gist of these new laws and how will they affect the common man?

Tell them to make the law provisional: pass it, and if the terrorist attack happens, then apply it. If no attack happens, rescind it. Then go back to the old laws after, say, one week, either way.

No law ever prevented a terrorist attack anyway.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
When theres an immediate terror threat then surely wouldn't the best thing to do would be to inform the effected people of the so called 'immediate' threat.

"Oh no, we can't do that, that would put people at risk".. WHAT?!

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
LOL! There is a terror threat, an immediate one at that, so they need legislation to save them? Legislation that they were not made aware of, some sort of 'it's so secret you need it and need not worry what is in it'. Legislating is not the way to thwart terrorist, action is...unless that legislation is to appropriate funds to an counter terrorist organization.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Im having trouble believing this really. what all of a sudden there is a terrorist threat. talk about taking the ****.

Its so silly. the next step if these guyshavig a tantrum dont get their way is to go out and make one happen.

Ox

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
What is this world coming too?

Australia never did anything to anyone.. I should know.. I was born there.. grew up there..

Geeez.. Probably CRAP! conjoured up by BUSH! to get support.. and a higher approval rating..

There are only two things to stop "terrorism" 1. Remove Bush and his cronies from office.. End the war in Iraq..

2. World War III..

Guess at which one I would prefer!

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Let’s see….
Are the “so called terrorists” going to attack on a day where there is a
anti terror exercise at the exact locations like in New York on 9/11 or London 07/07?
Sad to see a beautiful Country led into a police state by very intelligent spin doctors (politicians).
I find it always very funny how they get the info of a imminent terror attack.
Do the ASIO guys go on the markets to fortune tellers?
With the new laws we might be in trouble for posting anything what is not “within the measures” of the new terror laws. Good morning sheeple and good bye to free speech.

[edit on 2-11-2005 by frozen_snowman]

[edit on 2-11-2005 by frozen_snowman]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Now we are broadening the definition of "terrorism"

this is a farce and a joke and the people are powerless to stop it....

Legislation to broaden definition of terrorist act

www.abc.net.au...
The Senate will sit today to pass legislation the Federal Government says could help authorities deal with a specific threat of terrorism.
The Government says the new laws broadening the definition of a terrorist act are urgently needed because of a specific and credible threat of terrorism in the last few days.
It says the legislation will broaden the definition of a terrorist act, enabling people who are plotting an attack to be prosecuted.
But Democrats Leader Senator Lyn Allison and the Greens Senator Bob Brown are among those who are suspicious saying it is a bid to deflect attention from the Government's industrial relations (IR) legislation.
"This has all the hallmarks of John Howard manipulating the Parliament to his own political ends," Senator Brown said.
Labor's Arch Bevis says it is a convenient coincidence, but he is not too worried.
"If it is some ploy or smokescreen that will come out in the wash," he said.
Federal Attorney-General Philip Ruddock says the idea of a conspiracy is fanciful.
"Any idea that this was some form of conspiracy to divert peoples attention from other political issues which is being offered as a view by some is just I think very far fetched," he said.

Govt to extend inquiry into anti-terrorism laws

www.abc.net.au...
The Government leader in the Senate, Robert Hill, will today propose that an inquiry into the anti-terrorism laws be extended.
Senator Hill will announce the anti-terrorism inquiry can report back on November 28.
Opposition parties had claimed the probe would last only one day, but Senator Hill denies this.
"Well it was never going to be one day, but my proposal allowed I think it was eight days, but this will allow a longer period," he said.
He says the Government wants to give the Senate the longest possible time - within reason - to examine the bills.
"Well some people might say two years, our attitude is that the legislation is important as part of Australia's protection against potential terrorist activities and that has got be to weighed against the time required for consideration of the details," he said.
"So you have got to find a compromise that achieves both goals and that's what we seek to do."
Democrats Leader Lyn Allison has welcomed the move
"We are pleased the Government will agree to this," she said.
Senator Hill says there is now more time available and he is looking forward to the result of the investigation.

Ox

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
As I said.. what is the world coming too?

I mean... soon they'll need a stool sample.. id scan.. retnal scan, thumb print and first born child to buy a cup of coffee..

Welcome to the era of the Bush.. and I know there are going to be people who say "Bush didnt do it.. the terrorists did".. OH YEAH!!.. So how come Bush cant make a speech without mention 9/11? or Iraq? Why is it that after his approval ratings slipped .. the WTC's fell? He created terrorism.. by trying to fight it.. with his little alert system.. today is yellow.. no green, blue.. orange.. WHO GIVES A CRAP!!!!!.. America hasnt been attacked since 9/11 and WONT BE AGAIN!.. it's a farce.. it's a crock and we the people are helpless to stop it.. We need to act now.. Fight back against this MORON!.. And fight AGAINST his INSANE cause.. that only betters himself and revokes any rights you and your children.. future generations might have!

Stop the insanity before its too late!

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
When the politicians go underground during their attempt to depopulate the world and when they come up for air, I will be there to eat them.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
ox i love people like you, ignorant to the fake bush is nothing more then a puppet. you act like hes a dictator. everyone followed bush. congress gave the ok for the war remember. the congress is in charge on this country not the president. you think that when bush gets out things will suddenly do a full 180 and be back to the old days? no because bush isnt the problem. the government as a whole is.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Yes you are correct there. Its not just Bush, its government wide, worldwide whether you look to the left or right or straight down the middle.

More and more it stinks worse than a skunk...not that we get skunks in Australia...The chief minister wasn't even informed. Its all such a farce. I guess *sigh we may have to watch a very public arrest shortly of a terrorist and what's the bet the media will be there waiting to record it with their cameras.

Or perhaps they will do to us the British thing and bomb a train of two, just after peak hour when everyone who is anyone is already nicely closeted in their safe offices for the day.

Key national anti-terrorism body 'not activated'

www.abc.net.au...
ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope says a key national counter-terrorism body was not informed of the latest terrorism threat.
The Senate is being recalled today to pass what the Federal Government says is urgent legislation to broaden the definition of a terrorist act, enabling people who are plotting an attack to be prosecuted.
The Government says the new laws are needed because of a specific and credible threat of terrorism in the last few days.
Mr Stanhope says the ACT was left out of a telephone hook-up this week in which the matter was discussed by the Prime Minister and state premiers.
He says the National Counter-Terrorism Committee was also not told of the issue.
"The National Counter-Terrorism Committee, which is the committee which essentially represents each of the states on the national infrastructure or arrangements to address terrorism or counter-terrorism issues in Australia, hadn't been notified of the threat and still has not been activated," he said.
"So around Australia, none of counter-terrorism infrastructure has been activated as a result of this announcement."
The Federal Government says on its national security website that "the National Counter-Terrorism Committee is the national coordinating body for counter-terrorism in Australia".
"It is co-chaired by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet and a State/Territory senior official and comprises senior representation from relevant Australian Government agencies, premiers' and chief ministers' departments and police services from each jurisdiction," it says.
Mr Stanhope has questioned the nature of the threat, given the two territory governments were not informed.

[edit on 2-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Why is it so hard to believe that there actually is an immediate terror threat to Australia? How quickly you people forget that in one recently released Al Qaeda tape they directly threaten to attack Australia because they are a staunch US ally. I doubt Howard needed this to pass those laws because I'm sure they would have passed through as soon as possible anyway so they would just be following suit of their biggest allies US and Britain. It has been made perfectly clear in the London and Madrid attacks that AlQaeda not only targets America, but their allies as well. Its easy to read the article and say that PM Howard used this threat for political reasons, but that doesn't mean the terror threat is not genuine.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I bet Howard and the Australian branch of the NWO fake a convincing terrorist attack in Cairns or Sydney within the next few months (just before Christmas or New Year's). Maybe it will be faked and then pretend to be "prevented" due to the new anti-terrorism laws and anti-terrorism training recently carried out in every capital city in Australia several weeks ago.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAF6933
Why is it so hard to believe that there actually is an immediate terror threat to Australia? How quickly you people forget that in one recently released Al Qaeda tape they directly threaten to attack Australia because they are a staunch US ally. I doubt Howard needed this to pass those laws because I'm sure they would have passed through as soon as possible anyway so they would just be following suit of their biggest allies US and Britain. It has been made perfectly clear in the London and Madrid attacks that AlQaeda not only targets America, but their allies as well. Its easy to read the article and say that PM Howard used this threat for political reasons, but that doesn't mean the terror threat is not genuine.

Madrid wasn't al-qaeda, the official suspects were the two religious groups who've been fighting in years e.g. The Catalonians and the others.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
IMO it’s just another case of hawkish, power-hungry neocons using scare tactics to shove their controlling political agenda down the throats of the masses. It’s the thirst for power, wealth and control that drives these maniacs.

IMHO the only “terror” us “free and democratic” nations have to fear is that from within. We (the masses) are being duped into thinking there is some hungry, evil, Islamic monster lurking out there with a sweet tooth for “freedom loving Christians everywhere”. Luckily for us, though, we have the likes of Cowboy Bob (George Dubya), Indiana Jones (John Howard) and Dudley Dooright (Tony Blair) to protect us by taking our freedoms away and controlling every aspect of our lives. As long as they can keep us in a box, in fear, then they can manipulate us and we will support them and contribute to their wealth and prosperity.

Sure, incidents like 9/11 and the London attacks are provoking and require some response, but IMO we have gone about it all wrong by stripping citizens of the freedom they've always enjoyed. For cryin' out loud, the US still hasn't captured the main figures behind 9/11, but instead foolishly made Iraq our scapegoat and sacraficed many, many thousands of innocent lives in the process. What used to be respect and envy of the US from the rest of the world turned into fear and loathsome. Much of the rest of the world came to fear the US as the true terrorists, and not the victims. IMO our problem here in the US is that we're arrogant and we just don't ------ listen.

I guess what amazes me most about all this is how ignorant and gullible the masses can be. I mean, how long does it take an entire nation to figure out they’re being screwed? How many soldiers have to needlessly die? How many innocent lives must be lost? How many freedoms must we lose before it finally registers in our collective heads that something smells rotten?

IMHO, the real terrorists have already seized control and they are running our lives …

[edit on 11/2/2005 by netbound]

[edit on 11/2/2005 by netbound]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join