It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poveglia in venice (haunted Island)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I have a book and one of the chapters is about the island.

A passage in the book is.

"A few people have dodged the light police patrol that guards the island, and have all sworn never to return. They say the moans and screams that reverberate around the island are unbearable. There is a feeling of the most intense evil, and one misguided thrill-seeker, upon entering the deserted hospital, was told, "Leave immediately and do not return."
How creepy.

Its sad how that was where they sent people to die during the time of the bubonic plague.

I would be very interested in going to the island, I am very curious.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The show, that is being constantly repeated is infuriating because it adds noise that are not there. it makes it very difficult to discern truth from what makes the show keep going. I am also very curious why the show was allowed on. Especially when they have camera following them from above. TIs annoying however i agree the island seems to pull at the spirit. it seems to call to one. That in and of itself i feel is something to it. That there is enough pain and suffering that spirits may call to people around the world and ask them to come and help.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
There was a family of 5 that spent the night there on the tv show 'Scariest Places on Earth'. It was back in 2001 I believe, so I don't know if you can find it...maybe on YouTube. It's a 2 part show.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Here is ONE reason Y they dont allow people because if you read down you will find out that a girl's face was ripped open and she had to get 20 stitches!!! SO PLEASE READ TILL THE END!

Italy's Most Haunted Island: Poveglia Island of Horror
Poveglia is a small island floating in the lagoons of Venice. In stark contrast to the beauty of its surroundings, the island is a festering blemish. The waves reluctantly lapping its darkened shores will often carry away the polished remains of human bones.
When the first outbreak of bubonic plague swept through Europe, the number of dead and dying in the city of Venice became unbearable. The bodies were piling up, the stench was oppressive, and something had to be done. The local authorities decided to use Poveglia as a dumping ground for the diseased bodies. The dead were hauled to the island and dumped in large pits or burned on huge bonfires. As the plague tightened its grip, people panicked, and those showing the slightest symptoms of the Black Death were dragged screaming from their homes. These living victims, including children and babies, were taken to the island and thrown into the pits of rotting corpses, where they were left to die in agony. As many as 160,00 tormented bodies were disposed of over the years.

The soil on the island, combined with the charred remains of some of the bodies, formed a layer of sticky ash on the land. The top layer of ash has dried in the sun to form a fine dust that swirls in the breeze and catches in lungs. Part of the island core consists of a layer of human remains. Fishermen avoid this area, as the chances of catching a body part or two are high.

In 1922, a psychiatric hospital was built. It was an imposing building with a magnificent bell tower. The patients immediately reported seeing the ghosts of rotting plague victims and of hearing whispers echoing off the walls. Their harrowing reports were dismissed; they were already deemed demented and mad.

The hospital was run by a doctor who was a little too ambitious. He decided to make a name for himself by experimenting on his patients in a bid to discover the cause of their insanity. His methods were crude, to say the least. Lobotomies were performed using a basic hand drill or just a hammer and chisel. The already deluded patients were taken to the observation tower, where they were subjected to the most hideous of tortures.

After years of performing these horrible acts, the doctor himself began seeing the ghosts of harrowed plague victims. It is said they led him to the bell tower, where he threw himself off. Miraculously he did not die immediately, but according to a nurse, as he lay writhing in agony, a fine mist swirled up around him, entered his body, and choked him to death. It is rumored that he is bricked up in the bell tower, and on a still night the bell can be heard tolling across the bay.

The hospital has since closed down, and the island is uninhabited. It is not open to tourist, and its ashy beaches remain deserted. Recently a family sought permission to visit the island, hoping to buy it cheaply and build a vacation home. The left before the night was over and have refused to comment on the reason for their abrupt departure, The only fact known is that their daughter’s face was ripped open by “something” and needed twenty stitches.

A few people have dodged the light police patrol that guards the island, and all have sworn never to return. They say the moans and screams that reverberate around the island are unbearable. There is a feeling of the most intense evil, and one misguided thrill-seeker, upon entering the deserted hospital, was told, “Leave immediately and do not return.”

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
In response to "why the public isn't allowed", Alan's documentation of the the film crews' experience while getting ready for "Scariest Places" pretty well sums it up: safety. The island and building are infested with scorpions. One chair alone had over 50 in it. One crew member fell into a 17 foot hole on the grounds (said he felt he was pushed) where he broke four ribs and punctured a lung, requiring a one month stay in a Venice hospital. The 12 year old son of a prospective buyer for the island was attacked in a stairwell by something, losing an eye and requiring a number of stitches. Another place in the building was closed off by the crew because the floor in an upstairs room had rotted out and given way. Aside from the possible attacks and natural risks, there were also documented (or should I say unexplained) paranormal phenomenon as well. As far as I'm concerned, the scorpions did me in!

Drscot

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I have inquired with two friends who are from Italy. They refuse to speak of this place. They also will not discuss Mucillini, either.
He tells me that it is history and not something to discuss.
Go figue.
I suppose that they do not allow tourists due to the liability that may be presented. Or, perhaps the disrespect that accompanies such things.

I offer them prayer tonight, while I am not religious at all. I pray for the poor souls. To think of such a horrible demise is truly out of my ability.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Thanks for all your Comments Anon posters,

It really does make the mind wander, Theres a sadness that you feel for the place aswell as an interest in the real story there,

I just wish there was more info out there, the lack of it does make me look harder,

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
You can see the pictures of Mental Hospital's ruins here: www.metroradio.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Thanks Anon for the link to the pictures, Gosh gives you this shivers just looking at them,

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
i watched something on the discovery channel not too long ago,
and while i was reading it, all i could think about is wanting to go
there and just take a while to look around and take some pictures.
i love places like these that you can be provided historical information
along with hair raising fun :]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
i found this link which talks about the possibility of building a hotel on the island to accomodate all the the tourists venice gets. there are no concrete plans yet but if they do build one i would stay but im not sure my family would !! www.xomba.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by adoggonemad

They do let people go to the island....it is during the day and only to pick grapes for wine. The rest of the time they do not because they try as much as possible to let the remains be. About 160,000 people were thrown on the island during the black death and died, and that does not include the people who were tortured and killed by the crazy DR. in the 1920s ....they should be left to rest!

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The best part about Campo Della Morte is you can go to The main Google page, click on "maps", enter Isola di Proveglia and it shows the island right off Venice. You can zoom in close enough to see the layout and the old buildings

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Thanks for that i will have a good snoop lol,

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I realize this is an old thread but it is a subject of interest to me.

I do not believe there was ever an insane asylum or a mad doctor on Poveglia. The building on the island was a nursing/retirement home that simply went out of business in the 60's.

I also am not quite sure that Poveglia was a quarantine island. That island was actually Lazzaretto Nuovo. However, Poveglia was used as a burial ground for the bodies.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Great thread! and thanks for the stories

I seen a programme advertised called 'vampire island' about this place i'm gonna go watch it now

Thank you!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sedona

Yes its interesting for sure, I'm sure there was evidence and logs that all this did exist? I will have a look in to that...

What makes you believe that maybe all these things never happened? do some deny this island ever had this experience?

Very interested in this lol so love to have more thoughts,

Thanks

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The Ghost Adventures crew did a full fledged investigation at Poveglia; they caught some pretty amazing stuff. They're releasing a special 90 minute episode on Poveglia at the end of the season

[edit on 4-1-2010 by The_Glen]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Glen

Oh that would be very interesting, I will have to look out for that, If you hear when its on let me know,

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join