It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poveglia in venice (haunted Island)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Haunted venice.

I was watching a program the other night on venice and was amazed by the story and happenings of Poveglia in venice,

Poveglia is one of the small islands in Venice that is not open to any public to go see, The history of this island is both intreging and frightfull,

It was once used to place the dead bodies of the black plague and those who were suffering from it, A plague doctor would look for people suffering from the plague and take them to this island to die, basicly they were dumped there.

long long after this a hospital was built there by a mad doctor who used to carry out experiments on people and basicly tourture them,

This place still stands today,

As you can imagin with all the events that have happened on this island there has got to be some real ghostly experiences there,

It is said that they do allow psycics on the island from time to time but most have left terrified!

This really got my interest so i was wondering if others know of any storys of people who have maybe gone there?

heres a little more on this island

www.thehorrorcarnival.com...

Eventually the doctor began to see the spirits himself and jumped (or was thrown?) from the bell tower to his death. Rumor has it he is now bricked up in that same tower. Some say you can still hear the bell ringing late at night.

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 13-3-2009 by asala]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
hey good find asala!

seems like a truly messed up place. why do you reckon they would only allow psychics on there sometimes and no one else the rest of the time? you would think they would try and spin a bit of money out of this like they do quarintine depots in sydney?
i spose this is what this 'educational centre' could be doing.

but i still dont understand what is the point in keeping the public or tourists from going there now?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This it what im trying to figure out, seems odd that they will not let the public go see,

Guess in a way it makes it all the more interesting, lol you just want to go and snoop around a little with a camera

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Very nice find

The building may not be safe, and the owners may feel that it is a protective measure so tourists are not injured. Either way, it would be really great to snoop around for a few hours.

[edit on 11/1/2005 by JBurns]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
What a fantastic setting for a ghost story. Nice work in bringing this one to our attention, asala.

In 1922, a psychiatric hospital was built on the island. It is rumoured that many of the patients claimed to see the tormented spirits of the plague victims soon after their arrival. The doctor there investigated this phenomena by conducting crude lobotomies and medical experiments. He supposedly began seeing the ghosts himself and jumped to his death from the hospital steeple. After this, the hospital was abandoned and remains so to this day.

Reference - Wikipedia

Such a location begs for a dedicated, scientific examination. However, it appears as though the Italian authorities may have plans to open up Poveglia Island to visitors after all:

In the southern part of the island, the main building, situated opposite the canal separating it from the "octagon", will become a "welcome centre" for the young people from all over the world able to board about 200 people. Right behind the above building will be the guest quarters ("Foresteria") for the participants in the scheduled events, from a conference or congress to a concert or movie screenings which will take place inside the multi-use hall.

Reference

It will be interesting, if any type of reconstruction effort does indeed go ahead, to see if there are subsequent reports of paranormal activity. This will be especially true if the new buildings are to house people. I suppose we shall wait and see.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Wow, with a history like that, it's hard to believe that place couldn't be haunted. I wonder how many groups have formally investigated the island. I've always wanted to visit Italy, and this would be a great place to go.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I wonder how many groups have formally investigated the island

Going to have a look around the net and see if there have been any good research done on this,

would be great to see some pics from there,

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Maybe museums of art could help.

Many great canvases are denied Giorgione by modern negative criticism simply because they do not quite attain the high standard of excellence arbitrarily set for this master by connoisseurs. Tradition says his death was due to grief because his lady-love proved false; probably the plague — then raging in Venice — carried him off. He was buried on the Island of Poveglia. Other works attributed to Giorgione are: "The Concert", Pitti Gallery, Florence; "Venus", Dresden Gallery; "Fte Champtre", Louvre; "Madonna and Child", Prado.

Link

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I remember an investigation going to Poveglia, I think it was on Scariest Places on Earth, on Fox kids of all channels.. They did some history on the place, and then sent a family in. I remember the team put a red ball in there, and it started bouncing around like a child was playing with it.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Heres an easy way to get access to that island:

You and your friends set up a ghost hunting team, just like Most Haunted

Then ask the government if you can enter to let everyone know what happened there, and carry out your own investigation, find out if its fact or fiction!

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Just bumping this in tune with my new podcast on the subject.........

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
pretty cool stuff, nice find mate!

posted on Sep, 24 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
interesting.first a cemetary/place of the doomed.then a mental hospital?the place sounds cursed!

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Here is a google map image of the Island,

maps.google.com...,+italy&ll=45.380419,12.332153&spn=0.004657,0.011051&t=k

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by speight89
Heres an easy way to get access to that island:

You and your friends set up a ghost hunting team, just like Most Haunted

Then ask the government if you can enter to let everyone know what happened there, and carry out your own investigation, find out if its fact or fiction!

or you can do what my husband and I did:

we found the seediest, non-Italian taxi driver to take us there.

if you want to hear our story check out his blog on myspace:

blog.myspace.com...

He hasn't finished the story yet but I'll get on him to do it. He'll have pictures that we took while on the island as well.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
rockstaranya- Welcome

Thanks for sharing this, I for 1 will be very interested on the rest of the story and pics,

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Welcome rockstaranya, also great blog it exciting, bring part 2 up

Also this island looks great, I wanna visit it soo much.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Poveglia is one of the small islands in Venice that is not open to any public to go see, The history of this island is both intreging and frightfull,

Apparently, there is a secondary school for boys there - a large one - so it is open to the public.

And what a fun school it must be!
They are inviting people to apply - for the position of ghost...

Poveglia Academy

[edit on 25-12-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
For those who would like to explore some of the ghosts - real or alleged - of Venice, I would recommend any of the books by A. Toso Fei.
Some are translated into English (and other languages).

Reportedly, Woody Allen - who was about to buy THE most infamous "cursed" palace in Venice (Palazzo Dario) at one point - is an avid reader of these books...

[edit on 25-12-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Thank you Vanitas, I will for sure look it to them books, As this is a subject that i am really interested in,

As for the Boys School, I had not heard about that, Very interesting, I wonder if them kids have any storys to tell!?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join