It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2015, Pluto Rediscovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
New Horizons, a space exploration satellite slotted for launch in 2006, will be making a 9 year journey to finally map out Pluto, the only planet in our Solar System that hasn't been visited by a satellite. It will be arriving in 2015, but will start taking images of its approach in 2014. It is expected that three months before it reaches its initial destination, useful mapping images will be coming back to Earth. Pluto is currently the 9th planet from the Sun.

Or is it?

Pluto was discovered on February 18, 1930 by Clyde Tombaugh, and it was, for the next 62 years, the farthest object observed in the Solar System. Then, in 1992, another object was discovered in an asteroid belt known as the Kuiper Belt that lies outside of Neptune's orbit. Since then, over 1,000 objects have been discovered, one of which is possibly twice the size of Pluto. There are even theories there may be Mars sized objects, or even Earth sized objects in the belt.

This has led to a question of classification of Pluto as a planet. While all 8 of the other planets' orbits lie in the same plane, Pluto's is outside the plane by 17.1 degrees. Its orbit is also skewed, sometimes coming closer to the Sun than Neptune, other times lying farther away.

One purpose of this expedition is to map the surface of Pluto, which is probably the most fascinating aspect to the public. However, the more exciting and interesting job of New Horizons is to explore other objects in the Kuiper Belt and perhaps unlock some of the mysteries surrounding it.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Well, this is good timing for New Horizons, considering this discovery, that Pluto has two more moons in addition to the previously known Charon.

Too bad we have to wait 9 years for a satellite to get there... I want to know what's out there NOW!

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It was actually cmdrkeenkid's link to that Space.com story for me that led me to this story! It started with two moons, but it involved an entire asteroid belt.

Hey, that might be a good catch line for some dorky movie

It started with two moons, but involved an entire asteroid belt. Coming soon to a theater near you, see the epic tale of a man

A mission

And a race against time
(black background, just voices) "Sir, the atmosphere is starting to freeze! We need to increase the velocity of the craft!!!"
[pause]
"...Very well, change the trajectory 1 degree closer to Jupiter's orbit"
"Sir! That'll take it too close to Io!"
"I am aware of that! Just do it."

Ed Harris

Harrison Ford

And Michael Moore as "the kid"

Mission To Pluto

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

That sounds like an awesome movie...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
It's in production right now, except we could only get Carrot top and Pauly Shore to play in it...

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Comin' down to the wire!

countdown.ksc.nasa.gov...

Enjoy the site for the next 7 minutes or so!

EDIT: You got a bonus 20 minutes...the jerks!

[edit on 1/17/06/17 by junglejake]

MOD EDIT: Edit was inspired by me... jerk!

[edit on 1/17/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

MEM EDIT: Don't edit my post...jerk!

MOD EDIT: I'll edit what I wanna edit... jerk!

MEM EDIT: Yeah? Well this is you:

...Jerk!

MOD EDIT: You win!

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
the movie would be like trying to watch a train wreck in slow-mo ... take you an hour to first see the train actaully moving as it leaves the station

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Well, it's looking less and less likely that the launch is going to happen today. There's about enough time for one more delay before the window closes, and the dang wind isn't playing nice.

So that means we may get to hype it and a bunch of dirty hippies may get to protest it again!

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
THey have moved the launch to the end of the launch window. Its at the absloutle final time. If it doesnt make it then it isnt goign to happen today....

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Did you hear the commentary when that happened? It sounded like they were going to be OK at about -3 minutes to the end of the delay bringing the launch to 3:05. The wind conditions were within limits, everything appears to be go for launch...And we're knocking it back to 3:23. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster sentence!

EDIT: Link to live video and audio feed:

www.nasa.gov...

EDIT2: Huuuuurrrrrryyyyy, Keeeeeeeeeen!!!! You only have 3 minutes, maybe! You maybe should have ditched class! Maybe! More info in about 2 or 3 minutes!

EDIT3: Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Aborted! Aborted!
:bnghd:

new topics

top topics

join