It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfeld oks the expansion of Special Forces for the global war.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
link

WASHINGTON - In a historic step designed to bolster the military's ability to fight a global war on terrorism, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday he approved adding Marines to U.S. Special Operations Command, the organization in charge of SEALs, Green Berets and other commando-style forces.

It is the first time since the command was created in April 1987 that the Marine Corps has been included, and Rumsfeld said the change reflects a need for the Pentagon to continue to adapt to the tactics of an adversary like the al-Qaida terror network that uses unconventional means to counter American firepower.

"It's important that we continue to assess and adapt because of the nature of the enemy that we face," Rumsfeld told a Pentagon news conference. "It's an enemy that believes that we, the free and civilized world, don't have the stamina or the will to sustain a difficult effort over the necessary period of time."

Special operations forces, which train to perform a variety of sometimes-clandestine missions behind enemy lines, have taken on a more prominent role since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks as the Pentagon adjusts to fighting a shadowy enemy. But the Marine Corps for years has resisted being integrated into the Special Operations Command because its leaders feared diluting their traditional sea-borne missions.

its about time the Special Forces are getting special attention.
ever since the Special Forces community was neglected in the past by conventional forces and only few funds for the units where people assume dat air war would only be needed instead of troops on the ground. dis new war is not like Kosovo war where we can bomb the enemy to giving up. dont work like dat animore. now its the Special Forces dat America and her allies need to fight dis war dat could last very very long time.

o yeah i hate the Marines independence mentality. they need to stop acting childish and work with the rest of the branches if they are to succeed in defeating the enemy together.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hmmm....

I don't know if I agree with this. I am kind of partial to keeping the USMC as part of our conventional forces.

I think the SOFs should be increased, but not by adding the marines. I think they should add a more conventional body to it's command, seperate from the 3 main branches. Perhaps base it on the airborn or rangers...

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Deltaboy,

Excuse me for being nosey, but is there any reason as to why you type "dis, dat, and sum?" It's only one extra letter to complete the words you're trying to say. Taking the effort to add those extra letters will only add to the quality of your post, not take away from it...

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Yeah, Force Recon is basically a special force, they should be treated as such.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I agree with microcosm. Stop butchering the language and take the extra millisecond to not sound ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Micro, it is obvious that Delta has a cold and his head is stopped up. That is why "this" comes out as "dis".

By the way, I like the J-Hawk in your avatar.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Same here. I see em on a near daily basis. Once I head out to cape may I'll be seeing them by the hour, lol.

A head cold eh?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by microcosm

Same here. I see em on a near daily basis. Once I head out to cape may I'll be seeing them by the hour, lol.

A head cold eh?

yeah as Thomas said, a head cold (cough) (cough), dats y im typin like dis. it will be like dis for a long time until i recover.
, please no sympathies for me ok.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
"global war" now is that not just a nicer way of saying "world war" ?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jiffy
"global war" now is that not just a nicer way of saying "world war" ?

global war, world war, either war, dont matter, its right now all over the world since Al Qaeda and its allies pretty much are everywhere. unless u have a better name for it.

top topics

join