It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Dems Force Senate into Secret Session

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I disagree. I think Frist is upset because this is a power issue first and foremost and a challange to his personal power in the Senate.

Frist is under investigation also, and DeLay it seems that the entire Republican party leaders are going under.

He is fighting for his seat and he probably lost that also, you are right Bush capital was over expended but I think that it was not Bush capital but Cheney political capital.

Things are going to get very ugly in the next few months in congress and this a show that not American can afford to miss, because it involve all of us as a nation.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by looking4truth

For christ's sake I'll never figure out why the American public votes for either party.

Because there is truly no alternative. The majority of Americans have no problem aligning themselves with one party or the other. In fact I would bet most can find the middle of each party to be very similar. 3rd party candidates have historically done nothing but screw up elections. We saw that in 2000 when Nader helped ensure Bush was elected. Had he stayed out Gores victory would have been so overwhelming Bush could not have taken the election through the Supreme Court.

I find that up until 2000 I was able to vote for the best candidate regardless of party. In fact I pretty much voted 50/50. The candidates fell into the middle area and I could find stars in both parties. Now it is hard to pick any of them as I refuse to vote far left or right. I think you will see the middle rise again, Americans are sick of both extremes.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
would someone please tell me how wanting to know how wanting to know what misinformation was used to promote this war hurts America? Ried is right this republican congress has consistantly protected its own to the deteriment of the country. There isn't a member in it that has the moral courage to put the country first before the party and it is a real pity.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The Dems are very very upset that only Libby was indicted. They wanted Rove and Cheney, too. Why? To embarass Bush. So now they go into secret session and emerge wanting to know why further investigations are not being done.

The intelligence that was "manipulated" pre-dated 9/11, and everybody, even Clinton agreed that Saddam was a threat. But now we hear that it was molded to create an excuse to invade Iraq.

Political partisanship at it's finest.

I did catch one interesting snatch of talk, though. It was stated that the report given by Joe Wilson on his return from Niger was a hoax. Now that's interesting...

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Uh, the Dems won jsobecky.

Once they reopened sessions the Republicans agreed to a bipartisan committee to review the stonewalling. The investigation is finally moving forward after a year and half.

It's impossible to not see the partisanship on the Republicans side stonewalling for the White House. Like it or not, it worked.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I did catch one interesting snatch of talk, though. It was stated that the report given by Joe Wilson on his return from Niger was a hoax. Now that's interesting...

Where did you hear that ?

It would be very interesting indeed, if true it would support my own thoughts as well...

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
On the show that John Gibson hosts from 5-6PM on Fox. I can't remember if he, or someone else, said it.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Uh, the Dems won jsobecky.

Good, I say. Do whatever needs to be done, just let's stop with the closed sessions, filibusters, nuculear options, etc. Both sides are guilty of it.

What I couldn't believe was, several talking heads said that the American people do not care if the Dems went into closed session. Who TF do they think they are?

And before you admonish me yet once again, RANT, yeah, I should know better than to listen to the what the TV is saying. In my defense, it's only background noise anyway; I don't watch it!

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokiehave historically done nothing but screw up elections. We saw that in 2000 when Nader helped ensure Bush was elected. Had he stayed out Gores victory would have been so overwhelming Bush could not have taken the election through the Supreme Court.

gee if us 3rd party voters wanted either to win we wouldnt vote 3rd party now would we, dont blame us for your party losing, blame your party for pushing voters away to 3rd parties.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This also sets a precedent that the Democrats are willing to go the distance in the fight.

Whilst people hoo-hah and whine; the base of the Democratic Party is being energised, investigations plod on, and the left moves the national conversation back onto topics of its choice.

The Democratic party is learning a valuable lesson about fighting to energise its base.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I tell ya what. For the first time in my life I truely wonder who to trust in our government if any of them. When I grew up I always pictured the leaders of nations as honorable an nobel above all else. I thought at least most of them would do the right thing and vote for the good of the nation.

Sadly the truth is that they all do what helps them retain power at all and any cost. They inflict personal agendas upon us and vote on law based on who ever is going to supply the money to help them remain in power.

I believe more than ever that no one in governement should be allowed to stay in power more than 8 years of there life. Even those who may have started out nobel eventually give in to greed of power over the american peoples needs.

Our news sources (Fox News mainly) (My Favorite)now openly spins the truth to make what ever party they support look good, no matter how ugly the truth is.

Were is an American to find truth these days when not even our grandest leaders have integrity?

We all believe what the news tells us so we end up voting for lies and half truths (basically we vote for lier's and we have no other choices. We have to pick our favorite lier.

I am not even sure it is possible to really ever get America back.

Coorporations have taken over our nation.

I believe there are no more good men. Only the rich will rule for now on. Good honest and nobel is no longer part of the Governement.

Politics have taken over their minds and they cannot even see the truth any longer.

Scary really.

I hope next elections we all will have some better choices.

Secret meetings in deed.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Dj, being a Republican it isn't your fault for being ignorant.

Frist has called for a private session of Senate!!!!!! Frist is a republican, not a democrat. Sorry DJ, not your fault you don't know any better since Fox News didn't tell you.

What the heck, the link suddenly stopped working, gee, Bush doesn't control the Media, he just gets them to stop telling the truth on their websites.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by Full Metal]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I loved Frist's "hijacking the Senate" comment. And they say Democrats whine!

"Plamegate" is the media's version of Lewinskygate, updated for a new administration in its second term. It seems fair enough for the American public to accept. The real issues, the real crimes, that this administration has committed oddly don't seem to have been the ones that motivated the Democrats to pull something like this. I'm hoping the Dems are finally asking some questions in the closed session the answers to which the American public is not yet prepared to accept.

-koji K.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The democrats smell blood in the water and they are closing in for a feeding frenzy while they can. Go get-em boys & girls. It's probably a forlorne hope, but mayby, just mayby something good will come of all this partisan rancor. This is the kind of passion I would like to see directed, interalia, at revitalizing science & technology education and our downtrodden dollar.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Geesh, the Republicans need to be more mature about todays happenings instead of whining over it,
! Today day was so boring that I was falling asleep on the couch but boy I sat straight-up when MSNBC started reporting that the Democrats hi-jacked the senate ,
, best news I've heard in 3 1/2 years and it's about damn time !!!! The Democrats are finally sick of Bush&Co/Republicans BS lies and decided to take the "bull by the horns" for answers,.... and I say" GOOD FOR THEM" !!! Heads are/will row over this Bush Administration deceptions to Congress and the people of the US, hopefully they will start to Impeach that SOB and his thugs finally !!!!

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall with G W Bush in the room when the Democrats called for a closed sesson,
, I am tickled over todays happenings
. YES !!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I agree Astronomer, it may be partisan politics at its finest. But in the abscence of any other alternative its heartening to see that its being used to keep those in power responsible for their misdoings. Great to see America's government working properly again, however partisan it may be.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Sorry ATS, but this is pretty bad. It makes people get pretty political.

Come on guys, at least SOMEONE is doing something about the misinformation of the war on Iraq.

The Democratic party doesn't have a chance anyway considering any law that makes it to congress is automatically accepted even though no one reads it.

The senate is overrun by Republicans so they needed to hold a secret meeting so they wouldn't get insantly shot at by the Republicans for these accusiontions that 10 years later turn out to be true.

Anyone who thinks this is a conspiracy is just making themselves feel better because they are members of the Republicans party. (kind of how a bully does)

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Thank you Nanna!!!!!!!!!! I agree

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I wonder exactly what this is all about.... The one thing i keep noticing is how easy and how fast people keep forgetting that the pre-war information on Iraq did not start with this administration, and that pretty much everyone in the world did agree that Saddam had WMD up to the beginning of the war.

The only difference was that half of the world wanted to keep the sanctions and make millions while Iraqis died (Of course noone seems to mind that now..), after 10 years of sanctions which we saw was not really working amidst the lies of Saddam's regime, while the other half was asking for something to be finally done.

Now everyone want scapegoats and everyone want to hang someone, anyone for the sins of the world, or at least half of it, and of course the present administration is the perfect scapegoat for bloodthirsty vampires.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
It is just politics Muaddib, the democrats may actually pin something on Bush, but I really doubt it. Right now Bush & Co. are vulnerable because of the withdrawal of Harriet Miers and the indictment of Libby and the Dems will damn well take advantage of that fact (as would the Republicans if the roles were reversed).

As for the intel predating the Bush administration, you are absolutely right, but I think most countries were pretty much in the same shape relative to new intel as the U.S. was and nobody paid much attention to it because it just wasn't very important to them. As for sanctions, no they weren't working and futhermore, they were about to be lifted and the U.S. knew it didn't have the horsepower to keep them in place.

What the neo-cons in the current administration (and I don't really count Bush himself as being one) need right now is some dramatic evidence of the success of their Iraqi policy. Even though I don't personally see such evidence as forthcoming for several more months, you can bet speeches and press statements will start to fly trying to show such success and hence the wisdom of their policy. If nothing else, the show should be entertaining.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join