It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Approves Holocaust Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The United Nations General Assembly on Tuesday unanimoulsy adopted a resolution to declare January 27th as the new annual international international Holocaust remembrance day for the 6 million Jews and other victims murdered in the Nazi Holocaust during World War Two. On January 27th, 1945 Ausshwitz-Birkenau, the former Nazi concentration and extermination camp, Auschwitz-Birkenau, was liberated.

The resolution, first proposed by the United States, Israel, Russia, Australia, and Canada was co-sponsored by nearly 100 nations from every continent, including eight Muslim countries and several countries in Africa and South America.

In addition to setting a world Holocaust Day, the resolution calls on member nations to develop educational programs, emphasizing both "the duty to remember" and "the duty to educate" future generations about the mass slaughter.

The resolution rejects any full or partial denial of the Holocaust and condemn "all manifestations of religious intolerance, incitement, harassment or violence against persons or communities based on ethnic origin or religious belief, wherever they occur."

The approval was expected and no country wanted to object. However, following the approval some countries' representatives expressed their reservations:

- The Egyptian ambassador said that the resolution should have included other genocide cases,

- China's representative protested against the horrors instigated by Japanese soldiers in World War Two,

- Venezuela's representative protested the dropping of American nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

General Assembly President Jan Eliasson said that the memory of the Holocaust must be "a unifying historic warning around which we must rally; not only to recall the grievous crimes committed in human history but also to reaffirm our unfaltering reserve to prevent the recurrence of such crimes." and added it is important to remember that the UN was "erected from the ashes of the Second World War," and part of its original mission was to make sure such an "unspeakable atrocity" as the Holocaust never occurred again

Related News Links:
today.reuters.com
www.cnsnews.com
www.un.org

[edit on 4-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

The resolution rejects any full or partial denial of the Holocaust and condemn "all manifestations of religious intolerance, incitement, harassment or violence against persons or communities based on ethnic origin or religious belief, wherever they occur."

Whadda bunch of frauds and liars.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I welcome this U.N. resolution, it is the first proposed by Israel and accepted by the General Assembly.

60 years after the Holocaust, the international body recognizes the importance of learning the lessons of the Holocaust.

The unanimously backing for the resolution should help in the struggle against Holocaust deniers as a historical event, in whole or in part.

The resolution also follows last Thursday's controversial comments by Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in which he said Israel should be "wiped off the map."

"When a president or member state can brazenly and hatefully call for a second Holocaust by suggesting that Israel, the Jewish homeland, should be wiped off the map, it is clear that not all have learned the lessons of the Holocaust and that much work remains to be done," said John Bolton, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations.

source

The Council of Europe had already designated the day as officially Holocaust Day. Last year, The European Parliament proposed to make the day a European Holocaust memorial day.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
its not like anyone's going to forget the brutality of the holocast
since Israel seem to be using the deaths of millions as its trumph card in the UN and so on.

and with the fact they teach this in history lessons should show that its not forgotton

edit: an error

[edit on 2-11-2005 by bodrul]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bodrul

the deaths of thousends

I guess you mean 6 MILLION?

....as much as the Jewish population of the State of Israel today

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
so that gives the state of israel to do what it wants
because a nut case commited such an act?

the problem with Israel is if anyone says anything towards it
they use the holocast as an excuss to get what they want for political gain and so on

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

its not like anyone's going to forget the brutality of the holocast

Er, people forgot the greek and armenia genocides, and say by idly for the rwandan genocide, and just barely did something for the balkan genocide, and aren't doing anything for the sudan genocide.

People forget, people gladly forget.

so that gives the state of israel to do what it wants
because a nut case commited such an act?

What in the world does that have to do with anything?

Israel has a right to exist, most glaringly shown as necessary because of the holocaust. The palestinians and other members of the arab league had the right to go to war. They lost that war, and now they are under occupation. Lesson: don't loose wars, especially when you start them.

if anyone says anything towards it
they use the holocast

I've never seen the yehudis say 'we can shoot palestinian children because hitler was a madman'.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
when did i say Israel has no right to exist?
get your facts straight ( i have read most of your replies in other posts and you seem to have a tendency to put words in other peoples mouths and twist them)

Israel using the genoside card everytime does have something to do with this, since they seem to think they can do what ever they want because of what happend

last time i checked they started the war

also what does this have to do with things

we can shoot palestinian children because hitler was a madman'

i said if anyone questions the isreali's they use the holocast and cry out thats anti semtic

in future when u reply to my posts dont twist the words
or if u cant do that just put me on ignore and dont bother replying

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
edit:

fugetaboutit.

I didn't place any words in your mouth. If you find me to be a bore, then don't read my posts. Israel doesn't use the holocaust as a justification for anything.

[edit on 2-11-2005 by Nygdan]

top topics

join